1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeff Van Gundy thinks Rockets will be an offensive juggernaut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 9, 2016.

1. hodgo

hodgo Contributing Member

Probably one of the more intelligent posts i have read lately. Very few coaches in this league win consistently there are some but they are few and far between.

Im not sold on Pringles but at least here he has a team built for him with a genuine stud and a supporting cast to match his philosophy much like the suns.

In saying that he has no excuses this time and having jeff as the defensive coach is a solid move.

Im quietly optimistic

PS we have a surprising amount of negative fans on this site i understand questioning how we play and coaching and all that but jesus to downright trash people before they even play or coach is just a really negative mindset.

mdoggnic likes this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

kind of off topic, but does anyone know where to get the blue long sleeve shirt JVG is wearing in the picture? looks sweet. reps and good overall karma to anyone with knowledge

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Harden asked for help on offense...CHECK.

Harden said he didnt play "D" cause he was spent on the offensive end....CHECK.

So the ball is literally in Hardens court. If he fails, he has run out of excuses. That said, he could emerge as a juggernaut if the team can stay healthy.

mdoggnic likes this.
  4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Still needs more help. Not enough

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not enough for what? Win a championship, probably not. Quit complaining and making excuses, plenty.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The Dementor eyeing his coke in the picture is disturbing.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, they may be an 'offensive juggernaut' sporadically. They will probably be fairly good offensively overall. But who are they going to stop? How many teams are going to be offensive juggernauts when playing them?

I see two really big question marks. Offensive consistency, and defense..any time.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

They're going for the 'why be decent at two things, when you can be great at one' approach.

There won't be many teams better offensively than Houston.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

while that may be true, one thing is for certain. we're definitely not a "defensive juggernaut", right harden? hohoho

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Mostly true. I do see consistency being an issue. And they won't be stopping the other team very often. Meaning they will struggle to win games where they don't just crush the other team offensively. This approach tends to lead to beating bad teams, and mostly losing to good teams.

11. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk Member

Well, I'd say so...Offensive Juggernaut is about right.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

This exchange + Rockets doubling HARD off Rubio the other night = pure gold

hakeem94, Von Rafer and BigMaloe like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It would appear that Jeff Van Gundy was right on target. We are just destroying defenses. We are beating the teams we are supposed to beat, and either beating the ones that are allegedly better than we are, or scaring the hell out of them. Our defense, while not the best in the league, appears to be good enough. I was wrong about MDA, and even harder to admit, wrong about Les Alexander and his apparent influence on hiring the man.

This season is turning into something special.

hakeem94, askball, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  14. basketballholic

Your post is very narrow-minded. You'd better hope the Spurs don't trade for Rubio.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I hope they do trade for him, are you serious? There system is set on motion and finding the open man. The offense will continue finding rubio open to shoot where he will suck.

Plus it could take them out of the rumoured cp3 to spurs this off season running.

Also we could feasibly grab the 2nd seed.

I've seen enough, trade rubio to San Antonio.

16. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

[​IMG]

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

So essentially, Rubio is still terrible, and McHale actually WAS a terrible coach, despite random stats pulled completely out of context saying otherwise.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

The Durant to Golden State move hurt my excitement for the NBA a lot as it was, but it has been rekindled by the Rockets defying expectations. CP3 jumping to the Spurs would just be Lucy pulling the football again.

It's hard for me to imagine being a fan of the NBA if you live in a city like Milwaukee. I feel like you'd have to be a casual fan only that doesn't even really follow who wins the title, you are just a fan of players and every now and then watch the home team.

Hakeemtheking and BigMaloe like this.
  19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Looks like JVG was spot on with his prediction on the Rockets offense being an offensive juggernaut.

Mathloom and justtxyank like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I genuinely pray that the Spurs do acquire him.

Sadly, I know they would never do that. That organization has been contending for almost two decades, and a major part of the reason why they do that is they do not ever invest anything worthwhile in a player THAT flawed on one HALF of the court. They go for well rounded, high character, gym rats. All you need to do is watch how Pop defends against Rubio/Wolves to understand he would not pay anything more than scraps for him.

Rubio's season is done. His confidence is going to dip as team's copy the Rockets and Spurs, then his value is going to get even worse. I've always said that once Rubio develops a 3pt shot he will be a star in this league, but he is either lazy or incapable thus far, either way his value on the court is peanuts till next summer. His absurd inability to score is totally negating any value he brings to his teammates as a passer and defender.

It's a real shame. But my post was not about Rubio's career. At this point even if Rubio drastically improves next season by adding a 33% 3pt shot, your analysis will have been far further from reality than most opinions on here - which was exactly that he needs some kind of mediocre scoring ability in order for his overall impact to be worth his contract.

At this point in his career there is no escaping the question: how does someone with 11 years of professional experience end up with no ability to score from anywhere, any way on the court? It's really incredible and you have to start questioning the guy's work ethic. It's fun to watch that kind of creative passing at work, but how is this different than a guy like Terrence Williams minus the attitude? It's natural talent being pissed away here.

There are 3 ways this will end:

1) Someone will trade scraps for him.

2) Someone desperate (Philly?) will trade mediocre assets for him.

3) No one will trade for him.

There is no scenario where this guy fetches decent assets and he has a major positive impact for a serious team. It was a total embarrassment the way we defended that team, and btw we copied Pop's defense of the Wolves. Shut down Wiggins, let KAT go one on one with help defender occasionally showing, totally confidently ignore Rubio. And everyone is going to do that. The Wolves would have won more games this season if they had Beverley instead of Rubio, and that's really sad for Rubio and the Wolves.

I was a massive Rubio fan and still am. I really hope he fulfills that magic potential. More than anything I'm disappointed that in 5 years he has only gone from a below average defender to a very good defender. That's unacceptable for a player his age give how much room there is for improvement in his shot.

basketballholic, it is WAAAAAAY beyond excuses. Just needs confidence. Injuries. Was left handed they forced him to shoot left. Whatever the F ever he's had 5 years to go from like 26% to just a 35% 3pt shooter or a 60% finisher at the rim. It is REALLY REALLY bad man. It's really bad. You must acknowledge this right now, Rubio has done nothing to scare anyone. It is literally the exact opposite situation right now, defenders are braver against Rubio than virtually any other NBA rotational player right now. Can we just agree as two people who wish for him to shine that this is a sad situation he's in at the age of 26?