1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] If there’s an ‘idiot’ here, it’s Charles Barkley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with heypartner
    This was a ploy to exploit Barkley.
    Mission accomplished, now it makes major news that Barkley has a grudge.

In the long run, what is that going to do?
    Nothing

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

why barkley, why are you so ****ing stupid?

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've never found Barkley funny. He's just rude. Rude funny is like clown funny. It not funny after you get old enough.

I have no problem with Clutch as a fan site owner to call out Barkley's dumb remark. But I do think Morey, as a CEO of a company, should lay off Twitters a bit. He has been spilling too much trolls. I feel that Morey is behaving more and more like Mark Cuban.

I've said it in the past. If Cuban was the Rockets owner, you guys would love him, because he is more like a fan than a CEO or a owner. Morey seems to be going that direction too.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuban is an excellent owner, don't you remember what trash the Mavericks were before him?

You don't see ex-players accusing Cuban of being cheap

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What Tinman said, and from a fan's perspective I really enjoyed reading what Morey said. It apparently hit a big enough nerve to elicit that response. I've said it before and I'll say it again....Chuck wants a team position and no team is giving him one for good reason.

6. shadowmantis

shadowmantis Member

I'll, uh, just leave this here.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Must be why that championship winning team stuck around hey.

8. dianelo

dianelo Member

He still thinks the Rockets owe him 5 million. :grin:

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Being personable in the media is a two-edged sword. It makes it easier for us fans to identify with him. We generally love that. It also makes him look petty at times, kind of like what we fans do here on CF.

I think it would have been more effective if Morey did an intelligent piece, or better yet, have Clutch do an interview and expose Barkley's "misinformation" in a dignified manner. Was it Grant Hill who wrote an excellent piece to counter some ridiculous criticism in the media?

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Both JVG and Adelman were hired when Yao and McGrady had the Rockets believing they could be contenders. JVG wasn't sure if HE wanted to come back. The Rockets tried to extend him around the All Star break and he wanted to wait until the season ended. When the season ended after a third disappointing first round loss, Van Gundy said he needed time to ponder his future and while he did, the Rockets contacted Adelman. By the time JVG said he definitely wanted to come back, the Rockets had decided to go with Adelman. Rumor is that Les wanted a more up tempo coach who was more offensively oriented, and JVG's inability to get out of the first round, and his indecision on wanting to coach led them to going with Adelman.

After Yao and McGrady got injured and were done, Adelman refused to play younger players, and didn't like the constant roster turnover required for rebuilding. Morey knew that roster stability wasn't going to be an option until they got a superstar. Adelman stuck with Brooks over Lowry until Morey forced his hand by trading Brooks. He was against the Battier trade even though Battier was going to walk at the end of the season anyway and the team wasn't a contender. The biggest rumored reason though, was that Morey wanted to add Chris Finch as an assistant coach to the staff, and Adelman wanted complete control over his assistant coaches. He might trust his gut and coaches over analytics more than some coaches, but that doesn't mean he didn't see any value in them.

Why would Adelman bring the same analytics from the Rockets to the T-wolves if he didn't believe in them?

A contrary opinion? Did you watch the video? Did you watch the ESPN broadcast of the game last night? JVG said he values analytics in both cases. Nobody including Morey says you look at stats without watching the games. It's up to the coach to decide how to use that data and what it means in different situations. Like the punting example on 4th and 1 or 2 in the video. Statistics say that going for it will be successful more often than not, so why don't more coaches go for it? Because if you fail and you are on the opponent's side of the field you are almost guaranteeing they will have a scoring opportunity, vs. playing defense where you have a good chance of stopping them. That's applying data analytics to real game situations where the coach decides that the negatives of failure are too high even if the chances of going for it on fourth down and being successful is good. Part of analytics is interpreting the usefulness of the data, not just providing raw stats with no meaning or context.

What do you think analytics is used for? To determine what the percentages are in different game situations... JVG said last night on the espn broadcast that he believes in the usefulness of analytics.

How do you establish a trend without any data?

"The goal is to gather as much information as we possibly can, and then it's my job to filter it to the coaches and (Wolves president of basketball operations David) Kahn," R.J. Adelman said. "We look for tendencies with our players and get data from other teams and arenas that have the system. We're still in the exploratory process. In the long run, it'll become a really valuable tool. "I'm glad we have it."

What coaches do you think he is sharing this data with? You think he has his own son running analytics for him, but he doesn't believe in it?

1 person likes this.
  11. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

What shocked me most was that Kenny and Shaq agreed with every word he was saying. I think some of this is NBA players wanting to protect their own jobs. They obviously like ex-NBA players in coaching and management positions in the NBA and likely dont appreciate what guys like Morey bring to the game. Owners clearly do not agree, especially when you see what guys like Wes Unseld, Joe Dumars, Isiah Thomas, Jim Paxson, Kevin McHale (as a GM at least) and Elgin Baylor have done to the teams they managed.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Repped.

13. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v3LbQAchiYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

While Harden has made improvements, he has looked like a foundational player from the word "go" in Houston. This is his very first game with the Rockets...

[youtube]cCAFdBWuNhw[/youtube]

... and this is his second one.

[youtube]WC99ji34hNg[/youtube]

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at those videos and you see that Harden was scoring inside and on open perimeter shots - which today he gets a lot less of. These were "easier" shots - This was before defenses took him seriously as they do now. You also notice that he doesn't ever use a step back jumper like he does now.

Considering that today he is the focal point of the defense, and consider that his shooting off the dribble may be the best I have ever seen in my life - and yeah, that's just incredible. To score 40 points back to back when the defenses are now completely focused on him and he doesn't have a Jeremy Lin to take some of the ball carrying duties off of him is a HUGE step forward. That season he would be contained in crunch time for the most part. We would moan when they would just give him the ball and he'd dribble out the lock and chuck up a missed shot. Turns out it was just part of his growtn and path to greatness.

#135 Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  16. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

The problem with Barkley is he speaks the truth all the time.LOL

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

clutch dropping the fn hammer hahahahahahahahaha

18. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

This type of story is what makes my sig so ironic....

Great post and props to our fearless leader Cluth

19. rockets13champs

Charles barkley and kenny just said klay best sg in nba

20. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Chuck proves again to be the biggest anti homer of the Rockets.