1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] How we got here: A look back at the end of the Yao era to now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

CD wasn't the GM until 1996.

2. acjeitherocket

**** is amazing.. #inmoreywetrust

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Not the GM but a member of the coaching staff.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, but he didn't hire Rudy and he didn't "bring us" two championships. He was a part of the coaching staff, but as a GM he was pretty mediocre.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Great post, one minor quibble though. I don't really agree with the depth chart you posted:

I know this is what BSPN has gone on about on the air, but based on what Morey has said in interviews, I think he sees it more like this:

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Me too. Me too. But I believe my hope used to be similar to Morey's: each of these guys was acquired with an idea about how ideal they would be to fit around a superstar. The holes on that team were the 5 and the 3: Lebron, Carmelo, and Dwight. I always thought those were our targets, and if we had gotten one of them with the Lowry Scola Martin core then we would have jumped into title contention.

But Morey knew better I guess; he blew that up real fast and went for the jugular once he saw from the 2011 offseason how superstars only look to jump to other teams with pre-existing superstars.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

The only way that this can get better is if you fill in the failed attempts and what pieces were offered:

Examples:

- 2012 attempt at Howard - I believe we offered Martin and the 3 First Rd. picks can't remember.
    - 2012 attempt at Gasol (Done deal that was killed by Stern)
    - I believe we amnestied Scola last summer in the attempt to get Howard.
    - etc.

I believe these details make the story so much better because it shows how he failed with 1 attempt but ended up making an even better deal regardless.

Great Job by the way! Love to see it all written down!

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You're right, and my bad. I suffered a Dwight Howard... brain fart.

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I think Morey's going to get a really nice summer bonus this year.

10. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

My hat is off to Morey. He did what other could not. It is interesting that the path here was more like chaos or throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks rather than a few wise picks or trades. Working backwards:

Dwight: Bought him. With the additional incentive of having a young promising team. That leads to the cornerstone of the whole process.

Harden: Take him out of the mix and we are also ran's. We traded traded our top scorer for him along with lots of accumulated assets. No matter the price, well worth it.

Omer: Bought him. Really good value.

Lin: Bought him. AFTER we released him. You can put any details you want to the story, the strategy is difficult to discern.

Parsons: Drafted in the second round. Think of all the players drafted above him that have come and gone just in this short amount of time. Someone had to stick. Glad it was him.

The rest may only be assets. In all fairness, maybe Dwight and Harden are the may be the only two that are not assets at this point. My guess is that we are not done.

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Morey did good, that being said Harden's trade which gave way to getting Dwight Howard would not have been possible without drafting Carl Landry.

So even with both heads moved on to different teams, Scolandry's legacy is still benefiting the Rockets organization.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Beautiful summary, NIKEstrad.

My only thought is with all those players we waived I'm surprised none of their salaries still count against our cap. Were most of those players on non-guaranteed/partially guaranteed contracts or the last year of their contract in 2012-2013?

Either way, beautiful execution by Morey.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The depth chart is really tertiary to the point of it. And as I said before, if the season started tomorrow, I would have Asik would be starting (see McHale's comments about big men - and he's the one who decides the lineups). Between now and then, Jones or Motiejunas may play well enough to force the issue (I hope they do), but it's too early to tell.

It's an interesting question, and I think Morey himself brought it up in reference to Chandler being a bargain -- while he's only making ~$900K, it ignores the similar amounts poured into a bunch of other players (Jermaine Taylor, et. al). That is why you see Morey constantly praise Les Alexander, who doesn't make too much noise, but has done the things like buying the NBDL team, constantly buying 2nd rounders, and letting Morey burn through cash to find hidden gems.

To sort of answer your question, it depends - a lot of the guys were brought in on 10 day or partial year contract, so it may be anywhere from 50-200K. Tyler Honeycutt had $100K for this year guaranteed before he was cut that's still on our salary cap. Some of them were even non-guaranteed contract players who didn't cost the team a cent (I think Harrelson was in this category).

A guy like Daequan Cook though, collected $3 million - he was a hidden cost in acquiring Harden which we took with no complaints. I would guess they spent $7-8 million on roster churn and empty guaranteed salaries over the past couple years, but that's very rough.

Hope that helps.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Problem is, in alot of cases we as fans don't *really* know what was truely offered, all we have are media reports which seem to rarely be right these days. NIKE isnt gonna throw in fan conjecture on what was potentially offered, it would be irresponsible if one was only interested in real facts.

Wrong. The facts are very clear on what the story was....it was purely a financial decision(He had a unguaranteed contract, the other THREE PGs had GUARANTEED ones) based on his performance at that time in Summer league and preseason(not impressive at all)...if we werent badly in need of the big man that got signed(Dalembert) after his cut, he probably would have stayed, Morey loves checking out new talent at the point. Anyone who ignores the real story of what happened at that time has an agenda otherwise...period.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. To add to it, the Rockets really liked Lin - they didn't just sign him as player out there, but actually claimed him off the waiver wire when Golden State cut him. They moved quickly.

Complicating matters, you have to keep in mind that it was an abnormal situation from the start - because of the lockout, the preseason and offseason were shortened. In a normal situation, it's possible that Morey has more time to make another move (and/or evaluate Flynn v. Lin to justify eating Flynn's contract), and Lin sticks around. Remember, the Rockets had a short training camp and no summer league that year.

Then again, he'd still be sitting behind Lowry and Dragic, and maybe he doesn't get the chance to breakout like he did in NY.

Short story is, there are plenty of what ifs to play out. The Rockets also cut E'Twaun Moore, who showed some solid flashes in Orlando this year. He wouldn't have gotten the same playing time here in Houston.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Worth mentioning again.

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Quoted for truth.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's amazing to me is that most of the moves were to clear cap space. I mean, we essentially just traded Kmart + Kyle for Harden, everything else was free agent signings (Asik, Lin, Howard, PB).

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

more like DBFL Douchebag for life
    Lifelong Laker

20. Roxs-Redemption

What a great break down of how we signed and acquired these players. Thanks Clutch!

I love the part when you said "And we aint done yet"

This Rockets life and road has been amazing. I cant wait to see what else we can get in the future!

Much Love, Rockets fans.