1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] How the West playoff matchups could best align for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't know about y'all, but Denver as #8 best aligns with me ... I get to see the Rockets in Denver, then!! woohoo. Plus, it will be fun to watch Jokic.

GO NUGGETS!!

SF3isBack!!, ghettocheeze and djperm like this.
  3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Great write up Clutch. Bring 'em on.

Tfor3 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jokic and Millsap learned to work together.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Denver, New Orleans, or Minnesota are fine with me. The Jazz are slightly less preferable. I want no part of San Antonio or OKC in Round 1.

Elephant810 likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I must admit, I love Clutch's "Payback Time Bracket." SAS 1st Round, Lillard 2nd, the GSW.

For those who haven't clicked the link, Clutch did theme-based brackets, which no one has posed here, yet. Pretty cool.

*must read*

Tfor3 and ghettocheeze like this.
  7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

People overreacting about yesterday's loss need to R-E-L-A-X.

8. count_dough-ku

That would be arguably the toughest route to the Finals though. I'd much prefer an easier first round opponent.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Pelicans are a tricky matchup but we should be able to beat them. Denver is my first choice now. I was concerned about Jokic/ Milsap, but I have come to the conclusion that their team is quite weak. Utah was initially my first choice, but their tight defense will be a harder matchup. Minnesota's defense and shooting can be exploited by us. OKC/SA in round 2 can be beaten, provided if we get off to a strong start.

10. count_dough-ku

I don't think the Pelicans are that tricky. The Rockets have had their way with them post-Boogie. Plus New Orleans has faltered a bit lately, losing 4 in a row(although in fairness, they were tough opponents).

Denver would be a cakewalk. The Rockets have destroyed them in every matchup this season. Millsap would make them slightly tougher, but not enough to extend the series beyond 5 games at most.

Minnesota is too young and inexperienced(aside from Butler). They seem to play well against the Rockets for about 2 1/2 quarters before we pull away.

I think we'd beat Utah, but they scare me. I'm hoping they don't fall to 8th.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

I love the payback route: Spurs, Jazz and Warriors but prefer:

1st: Clippers / Spurs / Thunder
    Semis: Thunder / Spurs
    WCF: Warriors / Blazers
    Finals: Raptors / Cavs

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Same. I don't see Denver getting in. It is looking a lot like either Minny or New Orleans at #8. Minny would be preferred. Agree I don't want to see OKC or SAS in the 1st round. And looks like that won't happen.

da_juice likes this.
  13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That Rockets game against OKC could be a big one. I just personally want to see them in Golden State's bracket, but at least Portland (likely) is for the second round. They give the Warriors some trouble.

The problem with the possibilities is they're all good teams, all very close in record. A matchup that could be a second-round opponent could very well end up a first-round opponent.

Just need the Rockets healthy and playing like they have all season.

Mazulis, dogoflust, Nook and 3 others like this.
  14. count_dough-ku

I don't see OKC slipping to 7th at this point. They have 4 games remaining:

GSW
    @HOU
    @MIA
    MEM

The Warriors will be short-handed and the Thunder seem to get up for that team like no other(for obvious reasons). The Rockets game is tough to predict since we don't know who D'Antoni will play that night. Miami is a tossup. And Memphis on the final day of the season is about as big of a gimme as you'll get.

I can't imagine the Thunder finishing with more than 35 losses. And if they do have that many losses, that likely places them 5th or 6th.

15. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i honestly dont think the warriors will have any problem with portland if they are healthy. their supporting cast isn't going to give them nearly enough to overcome the warrior big 4. dame and CJ would have to play at bron/kyrie level to even give them a chance to compete.

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

they didn't last time.....they got smoked

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Utah can give us a good fight, but if we penetrate and lob/ dish and keep on moving the ball from both ends, we will be able to knock the 3's down. Be confident to hit the mid range shots too. Crash the boards collectively, and restrict their possessions.

Do the same with the Spurs, don't worry if they are defending the 3 ball. Just take them off the dribble and pass to Clint with the lob. Kick it out to Ryan, Ariza, Luc, Green etc. Don't be afraid of LMA in the paint. We can put him into foul trouble by attacking him. However, we have to remember that defense has to be our identity. Our perimeter defense and on the 3's has to improve. They can be beaten. Believe in yourselves, Houston Rockets and you will be half way to winning from the beginning.
    Watching film is important, when you aren't practicing. Start getting ready for the playoffs, right now.

#17 saleem, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, count me in on wanting OKC in the GSW side of the bracket. I mean, we know GSW is the biggest threat. OKC being in the GSW side of the bracket would be huge for the Rockets because I think OKC would put the most "wear and tear" on GSW. Even the "mental wear and tear."

Anything that can take the edge off GSW....even at the margins.....is huge for the Rockets should they meet in the WCF.

19. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

im curious
    so if the 4th seed is Spurs and 5th OKC (we would get the winner of that matchup ) correct?
    Even if theres an upset on the other matchups? for example if the 6th seed upsets the 3rd seed? shouldnt we get the 6th seed instead of the 4/5 seed?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

no, this is what a bracket looks like with seedings. the results dont matter.

[​IMG]

Tfor3 likes this.