1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston shouldn't turn its back on Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He will lose faith once the officiating ****s him over and over again. Then he will get with the program and play for big pay days only.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I believe he also said that he didn't think Dwight was going anyplace this year as long as we were in contention.

3. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Same here. He has been the best player, and the only consistent player in the playoffs for the Rockets.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Unless they can get us a guy like Cousins or Anthony Davis, i am not keen on trading Dwight. Is he worth the max money? Probably not. But this is the age age where people get over paid just on their name. I am more concerned about Harden's turnovers and his depressing defence.

5. puppytigers

puppytigers Member

I'd be willing to trade Dwight for Duncan + cash. If they throw in Popovich then DMo can go too.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not even that bad of an offer given that Duncan can still play 2 more years and his production.

He is like 40 years old.

7. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Once again you hit the nail right on the head DD...:rolleyes:

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep I know, it will take a while for others to figure it out. The painful truth is never popular.

DD

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's still very capable. DD is wrong that he's "just not good enough". You'd like to see more consistency, though.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Can anyone on this team throw a decent AlleyOop?

I mean seriously Dwight would have to be Superman to catch some of those passes

Rocket River

11. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Thorton, although you would never know since he hardly plays, and when he does, his minutes are totally sporadic. smfh

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's probably the best player on our team now

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dwight at $10-$15 million a year would be fine.

There is no way he remains a Houston Rocket for the long term at those levels.

The current Rockets aren't winning a championship anytime soon.

You're left with a couple of choices:

#1 - Overpay for a player with value, and potentially meaningful value, but who has yet to prove he can be a leader in the way a team needs, will be aging and declining, has injury history, and on a team that can't even utilize his strength anyway - eg, he is our defensive anchor but the team's defense sucks. Not his fault, but is what it is.

#2 - Trade him and get back nice assets.

#3 - Do nothing, hope he improves, let him walk in the offseason if he doesn't accept an offer at $10 - $15 million... which he won't. Enjoy the cap space.

My choice would be #2. I'd hope for a package that includes one really good player, but locked into a contract at that $10 - $15 million range, with the rest of what is returned in salary that comes off the books, to maintain some cap space in the offseason as well.

14. Milos

Milos Member

Exactly ... Dwight at $30M+ per, just as his elite athleticism has begun to fade, will cripple this team
    He will become our Amare

I'd be willing to move him for unprotected lotto pick at this point
    If he opts out, I'd prioritize resigning DMO at $15M per over D12 at double that

- Make Clint the starter, keep DMo as primary post option
    - Let Dwight, Ty and TJ walk
    - Clear out Brew & Ariza
    - Rebuild around Harden, DMo, Clint
    - Look to add long shooters whose primary strengths are perimeter D & off-ball shooting

My trade/FA targets:
    - D Cousins
    - H Barnes
    - H Whiteside
    - A Bradley
    - E Turner
    - E Ilyasova
    - R Anderson
    - C Frye

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Nobody is going to trade an unprotected lotto pick for him. He's a free agent for that new team also. Maybe if you take back some crappymlong term contract but no way DM does that.

Honestly there just isn't a big trade market for him. Atlanta is the one team that makes some sense on both sides but even then it's hard to see the Hawks a ton better if they are returning anything meaningful.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If we opt to trade Howard, there will ultimately be enough interest to drive some value our way IMO.

Atlanta and Miami being the two obvious options..... Justice Winslow and filler is fine with me.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This team does not fit him very well.

- He is good but not great now.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

With Dwight, we won't know what we have until we lose it.

Appreciate him!

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dwight...doesnt deserve this crap...I'd really consider trading him to Cleveland...and let him win a chip with Lebron.

This team is garbage...and thankfully the year is complete. Losing to this team that was blown the heck out last night speaks volumes about the players on this team. Spineless cowards...

It is time to totally remake this team...What a terrible ending to a pretty cool year for the Rockets. Hoping 2016 changes things, but I doubt it. Bad habits have set in and it is in the core/DNA of this team.

20. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

We will turn it around...Harden and Dwight will come through :( I hope