1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 7, 2014.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

So if we wait to trade Lin until after the moratorium than whatever cash would come out of next years allowance and the cash New Orleans received would come out of this past years allowance? Sorry I think I understood your replies just double checking. Thanks you guys.

Also, I'm confused on what the significance of trading for non guaranteed contracts is, other than your typical reasons, that you guys are alluding to?

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, pretty much.

The reason for the proposed pre-July trade to include a non-guaranteed contract is because, by rule, both teams must trade SOMETHING for a trade to be legal. The Rockets couldn't just trade cash to New Orleans for nothing. And the trade couldn't be "linked" (technically) to the Asik trade, which most likely cannot be consummated until July 10.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Pretty soon you will be able to get a masters degree in nba salary cap rules

1 person likes this.
  4. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Updated my numbers. Looks like the most realistic situation involves trading Asik, Lin, DMo, and #25 (or stashing abroad). We will have to trade Chandler Parsons or pick up his team option (counter to what had been reported earlier by Woj).

5. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Can we go over the cap to match Parsons if we sign Melo or James first?

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yes we can

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If the Asik trade or a Lin trade is consummated by July 10th, won't it be too late to obtain any of the big stars?

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

I mean- they could wait to officially sign. Theyd probably just make their announcement before.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

players can't officially sign new deals until july 8.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks.

11. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

I don't think it's necessary to worry too much about the annual cash limit. We have a boatload of 2nd round picks, which are really just like cash.

The market rate for 2nd round picks are about $1.5M to $3M. So the cash-savvy team can just take one or two extra 2nd rounders from us and sell them later.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

How many 2nd round picks were sold last night??

13. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I think he is waaaaay off on the cash value (more like $1M-$2M) of the 2nd round picks, but I think there were around 8 2nd rounders sold last night.

14. NotChandlerParsons

It'd be hard for second round picks to be worth more than $1.5m since that is the max you can send out in a trade.

15. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Okay, maybe I overstated 1.5x, but high 2nd rounders could be worth $2M+. Anyway you get the idea, and there is definitely a cash market for 2nd rounders.

We have three (and potentially four) 2nd-rounders for 2015, and they can easily be used in trades just like cash. It's not like we will have roster spots to add multiple rookies (We have a full team of Euro-stashes already...)