1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Feb 24, 2013.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Morey is an artist!

That's the only way to describe how he has created this team whose pieces (and contracts) fit so beautifully together.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Delfino, it sucks that the Rockets will have to decide before they have a chance to talk with free agents. Hopefully, they can trade him for a future consideration.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

oh and bimathug, always, your work is always stellar. Thank you again!

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great stuff Bima, appreciate it.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

I also doubt Carlos will be here next season, but it is possible Morey will decide to keep Carlos pass the deadline. He outplayed his contract, so he will be very easy to trade in case we need that 3 million dollars for a free agent.

6. SeabrookMiglla

thanks again bima, nice article!

7. j_shooter11

j_shooter11 Member

What is that date when they have to decided on Beverley Anderson, and Smith on their contract for next year?? Will they have time to know if they will get super max player before having to turn down their next yr?? ty great read

8. Thoac

Thoac Member

Perfect article, thank you. I always appreciate people who can see trough whether the numbers checks out or not.
    However, I still see a slight chance, than we can keep Del3no.
    Why I think that:
    This calculation based on current roster, and to add somebody with around max contract. In this case i feel it is likely that we fold on Delfino.
    But: What if we go for DH? Shall we keep than Asik? Max salary at center, and 8m/y at backup?
    Same for CP3 + Lin case. Do we expect to keep both.
    I know, this is a "what-if" speculation, but I do not think, that Morey wants to keep 2 well paid player for same position.

The article is correct. If we want to get a FA for max contractand add to THIS roster, than we might give up on Carlos.
    But Delfino is a legit SF, and unless we go for a SF, f.e: Granger, and in that case it makes no sense to keep Delfino, in every other case I expect, that we give up on some other guys, like Jones, D-Mo.....etc.
    This is how I thik now.

(p.s: and for everybody, please be patient with me. Even I am a Rockets fan from Europe, and I am following the team since almost 20 years, I am a new member here, therefore I am not 100% sure with all the rules and regulations. Please correct me, if I am wrong. I appreciate all help and support for my better understanding. Rockets forewer ! )

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Bima, what would be the likely scenario if both Dwight and CP3 decide to join James Harden in Houston? S&T's sending Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik to LA? Would S&T's such as Lin to the Clippers for Paul and Asik to the Lakers for Dwight work?

10. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Please don't win MVP, please don't win MVP.

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Great read, as always.

Even still, I think most people on the board would like to hear if it would be possible to bring in (a) both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard, (b) both Howard and Josh Smith, or (c) both Paul and Smith by signing one-half of the duo and then executing a sign & trade for the other. With Asik, Lin, and the rookies, it looks like we have the assets to do a sign & trade with the Lakers, Clippers, or Hawks, but I'm fuzzy on whether you can max-out one guy through free agency, then exceed the cap via a sign & trade for a second max guy. (In other words, can you take 150% in salary back if you're already at or over the cap?)

(Also, note that I use the term "max-out" liberally, assuming that two stars might take a little less than the max to play here with each other plus Harden, in a state with no income tax, like what happened in Miami.)

Finally, if a sign & trade for a third max guy takes most of our rookies for cap and/or "basketball" reasons, what exceptions would we have to sign one or more veterans wanting to chase a ring?

I would very much like to see options (a), (b), and (c) examined from a cap perspective. From a basketball perspective, it's obvious that neither Howard or Smith are happy where they are, and I have a hard time believing that Paul wants to hook himself long-term to Donald Sterling.

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

As an owner no way I would pay one player 20 million per season, one third of the cap. That being said, guess we don't have as much as some people have suggested. Some have said we could actually have up to 19-20 million in cap space. This is significant because I can see us paying 15-16 for a player and that would be it then right? Seems like trade is much more of an option than free agency.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love it Bima - good job as always.

DD

#33 DaDakota, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Since we figure to be a playoff team next year, it's really hard not to re-up a dead-eye shooter like Delfino for a piddly $3 mil. That is a value contract. In fact, short of getting a 1st rounder for him, he's worth far more to us on our team. He's got a skill that every NBA team needs, and he knows our system, and has integrated well into our locker room. I think we have to pick up his player option, and then worry about creating cap space after, if needed. The chances of getting Dwight or Paul are not high. Yet, the chances of signing a guy like Smith or Milsap for cheaper are pretty good. In the end, is see us getting Smith for $13 or Milsap for less, and still having the money to keep Delfino.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

So, if we decide to sign someone other than Howard or Paul to the max (say Josh Smith, althoug I´d hope we could get him for less than that) - how much would that be?

And let`s say we don`t do anything major - how would our cap space for next off season look?

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Good job, Bima.

Is possible to front load the contract to a European player like this: 5 mil(1st year), minimum(2nd and 3rd year at team option)? I'd assume it's a very attractive offer for European 2nd-tier players(even 1st tier ones who are available), because he would get money big and quick. Euro cup MVP Beverly's total salary is far less than that even if the team options are picked up later.

17. basketballholic

You might be able to feed Lin and Asik to the Celtics for Rondo to Clippers. You might be able to feed Lin, TRob, and TJones to Celts for Rondo to Clips and Paul to Rox.

You don't want to send out both Asik and Lin for Paul. Save Asik and Motie to trade for Love when he wants out.

Sign Dwight outright. Give up Lin and some youngsters for Paul (may involve 3rd team like Celtics or Jazz). Wait on Love to come available and trade Asik and Motie for Love.

Now, granted, I don't think Paul will come. And I think it is a longshot on Dwight. But Love is very realistic. If Minnesota loses Pek to free agency, then Asik and Motie for Love makes a lot of sense for them.

And Lin, Harden, Parsons, Dwight, Love.....that's a championship contending unit.

However, don't forget, Morey is going to make a play for both Paul and Dwight as a package. We could easily trade away Asik and Lin for pure cap space and a first rounder or two. That would give us enough cap to sign Paul outright if Paul wants to come here and use the threat of an outright signing to get Clippers to do S&T. Morey LOVES Chris Paul.

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

you know whats funny...I was honestly thinking this over and its possible. I mean CP3 wanted to play with Howard to begin with. Harden is his good friend, and howard has been flirting with houston.

This is the only place they can all come together. We would have to do what the heat did and force a sign and trade for both parties though.

Asik/draft picks for Howard and Lin and draft picks for Paul.....

Honestly when FA roles around I believe this will be tempting for paul and howard and might even take pay cuts to make a better mixed and younger big 3...with a better coach and more competent GM then Miami.

Paul
    Harden
    Parsons
    Robinson or whoever
    Howard

vs

chalmers
    wade
    Lebron
    Bosh
    ??? ehh

who wins?

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Great job Bima. Hope that we can get CP3, but likely we will not, do not know Morey is targeting who, I wish that player is from Timberwolves.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

picking up Delinfo's option makes sense

you have to think if someone like Howard becomes available, we could find someone willing to take Delfino off our hands if it came to that