1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jan 31, 2012.

1. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

i love the conclusion man, in MOREY i trust

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just my 2 cents about this since I've seen Clutch talk about it before...:)

nah, seriously. Amnestying Scola or Martin is simply overthinking possible maneuvers. Don't see why we need to talk about something with 1% chance of happening, especially when BimaThug doesn't deem it worth writing about.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Howard or Deron, or continued mediocrity, that's a pretty wide range of possible outcomes. That's why Daryl Morey makes the big bucks ... pressure.

But to me, it's a big part of what keeps Rockets basketball continually fascinating, year round, record aside: money, physical performance, team chemistry.

4. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

According to ESPN Ric Bucher, Stephen Jackson and Dwight Howard have talked several times about playing together and since neither one is happy with their respective teams, they could be joining Deron Williams and the Nets in the offseason.

HOPE NEVER HAPPENS

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree this is sort of a weapon of last resort or an option to keep in the back pocket, most likely used only if there is a need for 2 max cap room and other teams want too much to help out (trying to take advantage of the need).

It is leverage.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Thanks fro the update.

I would guess that the most likely to happen before the trade deadline is to get Chris Kaman on the team to play the center position. Do not know if this will be good for a long term, but heard that he could still play 30 to 35 minutes on the court.

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

They are going to have to get either Williams or Howard before the trade deadline in order to get the other one this summer.

1 person likes this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is a question in my mind because of the failed trade.

It was substantially our assets that got Paul to LA, why did we not just keep him for ourselves? We went with the less talented player who was locked up for multiple years.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Actually, Howard joining Nets could be the best result for the rockets. A chance for us to have him is not high than Dallas or LA. I hope he goes to Nets or Bulls quickly before LA or Dallas could any hope to get him. You know what? Dallas is also hoping to get DW if Howard is not joining to Nets.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Getting Paul to the Lakers would have eliminated altogether the possibility of the Lakers trading for Dwight, making it more likely we would have a shot at trading for him or offering to both Dwight and Dwill the opportunity to play alongside Pau instead of Dirk. Pau is two years younger. Not to mention plugging in Dwight's best friend as the starting shooting guard.

11. jopatmc

Agreed, but Orlando does not want Dwight in the East unless some team is willing to blow every other trade offer from the West out of the water. I suppose if Chicago offered Noah, Deng, Asik, Boozer that might cause Orlando to consider.

12. jopatmc

Most definitely.

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I've thought about this too, but surely we could atleast get a pick in return.

14. Carl Herrera

It's a matter of leverage. If other teams know that you have no options but to trade the guy, they will exploit it. On the other hand, if you have the amnesty in your back pocket, it makes negotiation a bit easier.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This makes no sense at all. "Don't try to exploit me; I swear I will waive this guy for nothing, if you do." So, the other GM is supposed to believe this idle thread, because they are scared that they lose Martin/Scola to the waiver wire?

16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Nice update, question still remains: who wants to sign here as a free agent and is a trade going to backfire, i.e. like what would've happened had we traded for Gasol who did not want to come here ?

Morey better work his magic because the upcoming offseason is the best for the Rockets in many years and we need to do everything we can to get a great player who is willing to work his ass off so no Amare, Melo, Bosh or Pau.

I like Deron but give us a 1% chance of getting him and 0 chance Dwight will want to play here.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

For the purposes of getting more cap space room for max free agents the rockets would have to trade Martin or Scola now (unless they're traded for players with non guaranteed contracts in the offseason). I just don't see that. I actually don't see the rockets doing anything drastic (like trade Martin or Scola for expirings) unless they acquired a star player through trade. And, I think the chances of Dwight signing with the rockets in free agency are low unless we have another star here already.

So, I don't think Morey will operate on the star or bust methodology, i'm not sure if he ever has. I think he wants to keep cycling in young talent on rookie contracts and cycle out older players while getting some value back. The turnover is an issue but it's really the only way for a mediocre team to keep from overpaying players. I can see Martin and Scola getting moved but without another star already here I'm positive we'll get back some young talent in return.

18. Carl Herrera

It won't be an idle threat (and would only be relevant anyway) in the case that the Rockets have 2 max players willing to join the team with the only thing standing in their way being the cap room being taken up by Martin or Scola.

Martin, I think, can easily be moved given that his contract is for only 1 year more and he's been doing well of late. However, I think Scola may have negative trade value by the end fo the season unless his stats turn around (he may still be a very good player, but his numbers are down for whatever reason) and somebody may want to charge the Rockets to eat his salary. If this is the case, the amnesty may become relevant.

Ultimately, I think what the amnesty option does is allow the Rockets not to have to prematurely trade either Scola or Martin before the trade deadline for cap room which they may or may not be able to use during the offseason.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Great article, Bima. Got me all fired up to start plugging away at the Trade Checker, working on three-way trade deadline deals that seem to be Morey's specialty:

Orlando receives:
    K. Lowry
    K. Martin
    S. Dalembert
    Knicks' 1st round pick

Minnesota receives:
    J.J. Redick (from ORL)
    L. Scola

Houston receives:
    D. Howard (from ORL)
    M. Beasley (from MIN)(expiring)
    M. Webster (from MIN)(team option, ie. expiring)

Houston's dream lineup next year:

D. Williams / FA (minimum)
    C. Lee / C. Budinger
    C. Parsons / M. Morris
    P. Patterson / DMo
    D. Howard / FA ($2.5 million exception)

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is why holding out hope for improvement via major FA signing makes no sense. This is why so many advocated tanking.

That said, I don't think DM's plan has ever been (1) clear out cap space, (2) sign multiple perennial all-stars/HOFers. As with the Gasol trade, he's trying to use cap/asset flexibility to continually improve the value proposition of the team...

Unfortunately, outside of complete luck - and that's what it is at this point - that's a path that leads to small, incremental improvement over meaningful amount of time. Like the Gasol trade. Which would have made the Rockets better, but not exactly perennial WCF competitors.

What am I saying? I guess, fingers crossed for luck? Don't get me wrong, DM has done and admirable job of "trading up", but I'm not holding out a ton of hope for a championship team in the next 3 years. Which is why I would have preferred a tank job.