1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: "Total Rebuild" Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 25, 2012.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Haha, of course not. Just saying it didn't make ME special.

I'm just a cap guy. I'm no Clutch or 00rocketgirl as far as their impact on Rockets fans.

I'm all for taking a risk on Howard. It's a risk worth taking. Especially since Orlando has lost so much leverage and the Rockets may not have to give up the farm to get him.

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Agree!!!

3. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

LOL, not sure why you posted that crap in this thread.

Bima >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> poopsworld

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Looks accurate. Pretty close to what Bima has in his cap update (Bima is far more detailed). Nice to get a full table visual of it, though Carl had already posted a table on the previous page.

6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yeah, it's pretty close. It's just not quite up-to-date.

They still have E'Twaun Moore on there (he was waived); and they don't yet have it updated to account for 2012 first round picks signing at 120% of rookie scale.

Otherwise, it looks pretty accurate.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Douglas, Livingston, and Brockman are all eligible to be combined on trades on September 11th while the rookies are trade eligible on August 25th.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

By being under the cap, the Rockets are permitted to aggregate any players (without regard for the 60-day restriction on recently acquired players) so long as the result of that particular trade does not push the Rockets more than $100,000 above the salary cap.

That said, assuming that such a trade WOULD, in fact, push the Rockets over the cap, then I believe that (1) Livingston and Brockman are eligible to be aggregated in trades starting August 27 and (2) the other recently acquired players (Douglas, Harrellson, Forbes, Johnson and Williams) can all be aggregated, regardless.

Livingston and Brockman are subject to the 60-day restriction (if the trade takes the Rockets well above the cap) because the Rockets were above the cap at the time they were acquired (which is what the 60-day restriction looks to). However, assuming that the Camby S&T "happened first" (before the Lowry trade), then the signing of Camby to his new deal should have taken the Rockets below the cap (Camby was on the books for a massive $16.6M cap hold until he signed his deal with Houston and was traded to New York). The Lowry-for-Forbes (salary cap-wise) trade took them even further below the cap. The Lee S&T also was done while the Rockets were below the cap.

ESPN's Trade Machine appears to be consistent with this belief; although I'm always a bit skeptical of trusting that thing.

1 person likes this.
  9. jopatmc

So with that understanding, knowing we can use these expirings to aggregate and take on salary, then if we clear all the non-guaranteed contracts out, how much money can we offer a free agent?

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm guessing that the Rockets will look to use their cap room in connection with a Dwight Howard-related trade BEFORE offering it to any other free agents. Given the Rockets' current cap situation, there are many, many different scenarios for a big DH trade (some utilizing cap room, some utilizing 150% salary matching, some utilizing both).

I won't be holding my breath for another notable (cap-wise) free agent signing until the Dwight Howard situation is finally resolved . . . however long that may take.

11. jopatmc

I'm just trying to think ahead one step. The Dwight trade is going to be agreed upon and finalized before it is actually executed. Once that is done, then Morey has wiggle time to go get a free agent if he wants to. We are going to need a good two-way wing player. I suspect a possible offer to a restricted player and a possible secondary trade worked out to get us a good wing.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Morey's thought several steps ahead, regardless of which way the Dwight Howard Saga goes. Some of those moves may be "no move at all," as that might be the most prudent decision in a particular instance.

Personally, I'd like to see what iterations of a Howard two-way or Bynum three-way trade exist. Just mulling it over during the weekend, I came up with at least one or two ways that the Rockets could come out of this with Howard or Bynum PLUS a $12.44 million trade exception.

I'd take that (the trade exception) over the $4-5 million in cap room they could otherwise end up with.

13. jopatmc

Don't see hwo to get that big a TPE when the deal has to involve us taking back salry in the form of JRich and/or Davis. But maybe Morey is better than even I think he is. If he could swing that deal and get a $12 mil + TPE, then obviously that would be the best thing.

But in lieu of that, now that Landry has signed with the Warriors for $4 million per, Morey does have enough cap space to throw $6 mil per at Brandon Rush and force GS into a situation where they have to match and pay the luxury tax.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

After dumping Wandy Rodriguez and Brett Myers I'm pretty sure the Rockets will have so little salary that it'll be no problem at all next year to add two max contracts and still be under the cap.

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

It's possible but a little tricky and would involve having to trade a LOT of contracts to Orlando. Not sure Hennigan would go for it. However, if the Rockets ended up doing a three-way trade with the Magic and Lakers for Bynum, that avenue becomes a little more practicable (both due to fewer contracts being needed and having an extra team in the Lakers to deposit such [very small] contracts).

16. davestrate

davestrate Member

WOW, this information is priceless....Thank you so much Bima!

17. jopatmc

We're not trading for Bynum.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep, we're gonna flush our future for a jerk who'll dog his rehab and give us 58% effort.

But hey! It's the getting, not the having....right?

What is this obsession with getting a player at a high price only to watch him walk into Mark Cuban's arms a year from now?

19. jopatmc

He's not going to do that. Too much money and pride at stake to dog it.

20. cheaterwon

cheaterwon Member

Just say NO TO D-HO!!!!