1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: "Total Rebuild" Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think that's the first time I've read what I consider a definitive description of Scola's contract. Before, the amount of guaranteed money his last year was an enigma. Oh, we knew it was a partial guarantee, but not the extent, and I've lost count of the number of times I've had to tell folks that that last year had conditions unlikely to be met (not that I knew what those conditions were!). I could never get a straight answer about the number anywhere, so thanks for that info. I guess now that he's gone, the "secret" doesn't matter. That column was a great read, Bima.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It appears to me that with the rookies signing contracts today that Morey can now make a free agent offer to a player if he wants to. Since we're under the cap, when a trade for Dwight finally does occur, we can use the 150% rule to combine contracts and still take salary off Orlando. For intance 2 rookie deals combined with a player like Smith would be enough salary for us to send out for Big Baby or JRich. And we can still have another FA besides if Morey gets on the stick and gets it done before the Dwight trade goes down.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

By far the most coherent piece I've read on our options and thank you.

So I still contend ( as I have for the last month) as always this "off season" is not over until the winter deadline.

Meanwhile I will be more then happy to watch the kids play, and if they respond as I feel they will, watch that stock price soar!

Go Rockets! Morey is one smart cookie.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That is really incredible when you think about it.

Mad props to Les. Dude is sacking up bigtime.

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Not sure why I'm putting this here, probably because the "whiteness" of our team came up in this thread?

Anyway, Morey seems to be pretty good at finding undervalued players. My question is this, are white players undervalued because they are white? There are a lot of stigmas that come with being a white NBA player and most of them aren't something that would increase your value.

Just something I was thinking about and wondered what others think.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

But DD says Les is a poo poo owner :(

Edit: My bad for bringing him up. It just shows how the comments about him not wanting to win and win big couldn't be further from the truth.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

And this is what most people dont realize... Les actually spends much more than people give him credit for...
    He has tried to lure stars to this city...but nothing has worked so far...TMAC and Yao did nothing but raise false hope...and other superstars might indirectly think that Houston is a career destroying destination...Seriously...look at TMAC and Yao...both in their primes and were riddled with injuries...if your a superstar would you look at prior superstar athletes and their success in the city??? maybe there is some undescribed curse...But all this is getting ridiculous...Howard just typified what players like JJ Johnson said..."I dont wanna play in Houston."

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't think that they are undervalued because they are white. After all there are a lot of successful white NBA players. And what stigma's are there if you are a white NBA player?

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Larry Coon from ESPN or bust!

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No joke, I firmly believe (and have gotten some solid information reaffirming this belief) that the Rockets have located ATHLETIC WHITE WING PLAYERS as an undervalued subset of players in the draft. That helped them identify Chase Budinger and Chandler Parsons as two players who would likely fall below their true value in the draft order.

Of course, both Budinger and Parsons were very visible college players at Arizona and Florida, respectively; but this could possibly portend some less visible second round "reach" in future years that may have us scratching our heads and saying "Who's THAT white guy?!?!"

Hell, I'd trade me for Larry Coon. I'd even be willing to throw in Jason Friedman for good measure. :grin:

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nah, Larry Coon is overrated. Great cap guy, mediocre writer.

13. Jimes

Jimes Member

And we now have an Asian PG too. Meowry loves his overlooked races.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Or Turkey is Morey's next scouting ground.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

AAAARRGGH!!!!! good grief

Signed,

Charlie Brown

16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

thanks for the post. i am really excited about the flexibility morey has created.

17. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Overwhelmingly beautiful analysis as usual Bima. Thanks for your thorough post!

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the quiet bigotry of low expectations.

19. toby

toby Member

Should have never traded Hakeem. The curse started then.

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

What did we get in return again for that trade?