1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: "Total Rebuild" Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 25, 2012.

1. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

^
    ^
    ^
    A terrible degradation to what started as a great thread.:(

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No. Harden and Taj Gibson.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No way. Not over Ibaka.

Ibaka could be the second best center in the NBA by next offseason. And I'm very serious about that.

4. Pete the Cheat

If I was a betting man. I would say we only end up with enough cap space to sign one max FA next offseason.

Martin and change are getting leveraged for a bigger fish

5. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Awesome p

6. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

im all in for harden. anything it takes.

7. Pete the Cheat

I second that.

8. jopatmc

Don't be surprised if by June 2013 everybody is clamoring to give Ibaka a max deal first.

9. gah

gah Member

Can you please go on record and state why you think so, for the sake of posterity. You are seriously overating Ibaka.

10. jopatmc

Because I think he is going to show major improvement this next season, especially playing the post as OKC uses Jones to spread the floor when Perk is on the bench. I think OKC's top lineup next season will wind being RB, JH, KD, Serge, and Jones. He's gonna improve his post offense and be able to take advantage of the spacing provided by the other 4. I think his value is going to shoot through the roof. He has Hakeem's size and athleticism. Hakeem wants to work with him. He's took major improvement steps every summer. I personally think that by next June he will be considered the second best big man in the game behind Dwight.

11. carayip

carayip Member

Does anyone know if we meet the total minimum salary floor yet?

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Bill Walton
    Kevin McHale
    Larry Bird
    Danny Ainge
    Dinnis Johnson - (Not sure that he counts but I'm counting him anyway)

13. Pete the Cheat

Yes, the Lin & Asik deals put us over
    I think the floor is the previous years cap. $48MM or so off the top o' me noggin.
    Right now we are sitting around $53MM. So we have some cushion...

14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Terrific write up, thanks!!

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Were identified by things that make us different because if we were identified by things that made us the same you couldn't tell anyone apart... lol.

16. carayip

carayip Member

I think it's 80% of the cap, no?

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The floor does not matter to Morey. He says at the end of the season if they are not at the floor they just send a check to the NBA for the difference, no big deal.

18. carayip

carayip Member

Oh, can they really do that?

Why not signing some guy for a one year deal then, at least you have a player to use?!

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You can keep the cap room open and take on salary for a pick or some extra assets like OKC did back when they had cap room (got Eric Maynor for eating Matt Hapring's salary, got draft picks for taking on Kurt Thomas' salary).

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Especially love the comments in this thread and on Twitter that they learned something new by reading the article. THAT is why I write them.

Only $21 million of Scola's contract WAS guaranteed, until he was waived via the amnesty clause. Once waived, all bidding teams were required to start their bids at $10 million (the non-guaranteed portion of the final year of Scola's contract). Hence, Les Alexander didn't stand to save any money except to the extent that a team's bid exceeds $10 million.

The Suns' $13.5 million bid only reduced the $21 million in remaining guaranteed salary by $3.5 million. Hence, Les Alexander having to foot the bill for the remaining $17.5 million.

My guess is YES, Lin and Asik would be difficult to trade in 2014 . . . IF their performance does not outweigh their cap hit. If so, teams would be scared off of taking on a player with an overweight cap hit AND an even more greatly bloated salary. Even the maximum $3.3 million cash contribution won't help.

However, if Lin or Asik is outperforming his cap hit, either (a) teams would be willing to foot the bill for the extra moola owed or (b) more likely, the Rockets wouldn't be willing to trade them to begin with.

The Rockets are over the minimum salary cap (which is 85% of the maximum salary cap for 2012-13).

FYI, the portion of Scola's salary being paid by the Rockets DOES count against the minimum salary cap; so, even if the Rockets' cap figure drops a little below the minimum, they're still likely covered for another $5-6 million or so in each of the next three years.

1 person likes this.