1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: Lockout Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 11, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agree 100%. Nene and Gasol both intrigue me as players (much moreso than all the other free agents), but the price tag on those guys (and the impediments to being able to trump their current team's offers) will be prohibitive.

Unless Scola or Martin is traded, I just don't see a big money free agent deal (successfully) being awarded by the Rockets this summer. It's just not worth risking the salary flexibility for trades next season and in 2012 free agency.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

FA year = fatty weight loss = suspicious.

3. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

^^He definitely looks a lot trimmer than a couple months ago:

[​IMG]

Also,

http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1737&status=Inactive

http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1742&status=Inactive

It's PoopsWorld, but I hope it's true anyway! Marc in a Rocket's uniform would be a dream come true!

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

5. Carl Herrera

I wonder if Marc Gasol wants to leave Memphis because he knows that, with Zach Randolph around and signed to a long term deal, Zach will always get to eat the first banana in the post and Marc only get to eat the second banana. And lets not forget the perimeter guys like Rudy Gay and Mike Conley will be fighting for their bananas as well. Not to say that Zach does not deserve bananas, but Marc wants them, too.

With another team like Houston, Marc might get his mouth around more bananas.

6. Damion Laverne

Like Richard Jefferson does in San Antonio? :p

2 people like this.
  7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I seriously doubt that the Rockets will (or even CAN) mount an offer to Gasol that Memphis would not be willing to match. And if Memphis respected every players wish not to play for the Grizzlies, that team would have run out of players long ago.

Like I said, Memphis's fixation on keeping Gasol was probably a determining factor in Morey being able (for good or for bad) to "swoop in" and trade for Thabeet using an expiring contract. If the Griz were honestly willing to respect Marc's (rumored) wish to leave Memphis, I'm pretty sure they would have kept Thabeet and given him at least one more year to develop into a decent center for them.

8. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

What's the Grizz's cap situation like? Could they forego Gasol for a player like Chandler or Jordan that wouldn't need the ball and still give them a paint clogger?

Chandler on the Grizz would be interesting, but no way they outbid Cuban if they still have Gay, Conley, and Randolph on the books.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

After giving Gay, Conley and Randolph their big new deals, I doubt that Memphis (under any system) will have a substantial amount of cap room to add an outside free agent center of any significant note. Their key advantage on Gasol (vs. others) would be if restricted free agency carries over to the new CBA, which I assume will happen.

You are also right that there's little chance that Cuban would be outbid for Chandler.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You've highlighted the state of the Rockets today, CH. We've an NBA banana republic, with an owner who's gone bananas!

1 person likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

I would think Memphis would work hard to keep Marc Gasol.... though his brother did kind of "Vince Carter" his way out of Memphis, so there's might be a bit of a family history here.

I wonder if (assuming allowed by the CBA) the Rockets could work out a S&T for the Male Gasol, sort of like what ATL did when they got Joe Johnson from PHX.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Pretty much what I've said. Dump scola because of the depth behind hm for an expiring or a couple of young players. The team I've always had in mind has been the bucks and the player coming back for houston is kaman. The rockets could use some of they're young players as filler to make the deal.

Scola to milwaukee, gooden and t-will to the clipps, kaman to the rockets. Next summer, the rockets could renounce hill and thabeet unless some other team wants them and host cp3/williams/howard. The get howard and one of the pgs, lowry could then be traded and dragic the backup.