1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2015 Offseason Pre-Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jun 3, 2015.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

1.) Rondo kinda sucks and is a bad fit
    2.) We don't have Rondo's bird rights and would have to use cap space to do that, which we don't have.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Bima, as always thanks.

A random aside, but I was talking to a warriors fan friend of mine about the NBA cap world at large. I was shocked at how much more I knew about this stuff than he did. I think I've picked up a lot from your articles and I wanted to thank you for that. I think you could easily write prospectuses like this for other teams as well and make a killer blog, but I'm glad we as Rockets fans can keep you to our team only!

3. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Unfortunately, I think Patrick Beverley will not be wearing Rocket Red come next season. He is a great player that brings an edge to our team, but he is just going to be too expensive. I would absolutely love Llull paired with Harden and us resigning brewer and Smith, we don't need another first round guy for our championship run.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Maybe Morey creates cap space? I just don't think Bev will stay, but lets hope Morey can work some magic.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Also, in before DD uses the term Le$. Our owner is supposedly super cheap according to him.

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Great article. Thanks, Bima!

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Point is interesting.

If Llull is coming then Bev's value to the Rox declines.

If Rox trade for Lowry or Lawson, for example, then Llull's value to Rox declines.

If Rox move up in draft (for Payne?) then Llull for 3-guard rotation or Bev? Or neither. Different option?

It just seems to me that Draft Night will be illuminating.

And an aside - - McDaniels? Is his fate tied into Smith's? Apparently they are 'brothers' over many years.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Fortunately, he is not a great player, not even be considered as a very good player.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Very informative. But would you still be able to add KD next summer if you're trading Papanikolaou and others for contracts that run beyond next summer, like Ty Lawson or Kyle Lowry? Again, I'd rather go with Llull and a rookie at PG this year versus adding a vet while losing the chance to pursue KD in free agency.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Thank you Bima. So helpful.

I dont see Bev getting 8 per. Maybe the Knicks give him 5 per if they dont draft a guard.

11. malakas

malakas Member

If another team gives him an offersheet and he signs then the Rockets will have to use mle money to match regardless of any trades.and someone will give him an offersheet. You van bet your house on it.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

At the very end Bima mentioned that the Rockets could just bring back last year's roster + Llull + the 18th (and 32nd) pick. That wouldn't be bad at all, really. Imagine if this squad gets a good PG and stays healthy next year. They'd be a damn good team.

13. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Can we all agree Bima's new blog should called "Ballers and Cents"

1 person likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Yes they can offer him a Parsons deal. But the Rockets cant do that. And the Warriors already know that he is market max. So they will go ahead and offer him the 5 ormal max themselves than risk anything else. If the team offers it then the other teams cant offer pp contracts.

Thats what I think. No cap expert.

15. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I would love for Beverley off the bench but hell no to 8 million, 5 million is even a bit much. Brewer same thing, 5 million maybe. Josh, I'm torn on depending on if TJ can finally be that strong force we need and how D-Mo recovers. He should take a lot less than 5 million though, he gets paid regardless.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Could be the most likely scenario and I'm inclined to believe it is most likely. It's too risky at this point to start letting guys walk and then hope you pull off FA signings or trades.

Daryl always signs guys in a way that leads to flexibility so I think we're more likely to see big moves during next season around the deadline.

Beverly is the biggest question mark because some team may overpay. I think if they re-sign Brewer, Josh will come back on a 1 year deal. I also think if they let Brewer walk and Beverly gets overpaid, Josh is likely to bolt.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can Brewer be signed and traded with his Early Bird rights in order to create cap room?

My assumption is no, because the Rockets don't have his Full Bird Rights. I would appreciate a clarification regarding S/T's with re-signed free agents.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Bimathug...

What is prigs contract situation? Is it a team or player option? I thought I heard he's contemplating retirement it going overseas. I keep hearing he won't come back. But with only 440k guaranteed wouldn't he be a quality contract asset for a potential deal?

My line of thinking is say a 3 way deal where Sacramento gets lawson and we get Collison. Denver could want to cut salary and we could help Sacramento at the expense of Collison.

Say something like..
    lawson/dorsey to Sacramento.
    Collison/Randy foye to houston.
    sac future 1st/Nop1st/mclemore/K.pap/prigs(6.5 mill expiring/cuttable contracts) to denver.

Maybe you dont need prigs contract but it is a cuttable 1.6mill. If it's a team option do you see the team picking it up in hopes of using it as contract filter?

19. malakas

malakas Member

The sacramento pick is an overpay for Lawson not to mentipn adding Mclemore. The one who will need to dump contracts will be the Kings. Landry first and most. And Denver can absorb him.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I'm Not talking about this year's first but a future first. If lawson and gay and cousins mesh they could be fringe playoff team.

Also it's not about dumping contracts but rather giving Denver expiring.

Never the less I posted that as a scenario where prigs contract could be beneficial. More just curious about prigs contract situation.