1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2015 Off-Season Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Hilarious! :p

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I kind of hope that we don't pursue Durant in the next offseason, only because we'd be extremely vulnerable to losing both Jones AND Motie. I think one of them definitely gets traded in February, not sure who though. DMo appears to be the better player and fit, but he can also probably not a pretty nice return since he's 7 feet tall and has a game tailor made to the modern NBA.

Harrell will probably spend most of his time in the D-League, so I'm okay with him only getting one year. He will (hopefully) fall off most team's radars, and since free agency is right after the draft, teams will already have young guys/prospects that they're high on taken up roster spots.

3. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Bima, what do you think will happen with Harrell, in your opinion? I read your update and it sounds like a tough decision.

4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

no penalties for the Terry two step?

5. Sanity2disChaos

Got me all FIIIRRRRREEEDDD UP!!

6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It's DMo and Jones durability that is concerning. DMo hopefully recovered from his back surgery and Jones has been off the court a lot in his time with the Rockets. TJ just 33 RS games last season and DMo missing 11 games plus all the playoffs.

Hopefully the fact that both of them are so young will mean the chances are high they get through the season and playoffs.

7. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Rockets will offer him a two year deal, which he will either take or risk signing a one year pact. A one year deal for him is extremely risky because he isn't assured of even 1 minute of NBA playing time this year.

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. Playing in the Dleague means he'll be playing against scrubs which will make Harrell look real good. I can see a team gambling on him with a high contract offer.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Reading this, I don't think there's any chance we'd offer Harrell any deal that would define us as having used the full MLE, even if we traded Jones to back away from the luxury tax. To use the full MLE, it sounds like, would put us at risk of getting hard-capped if some midseason deal increased our payroll again. Some players might be worth that risk, but second-round rookies are not, even if they are supposedly worthy of the late first round.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As much as Morey would love to offer Harrell one of those 4 year deals (2+2), I just don't see any way Morey puts the Rockets over the Hard Cap. Removing that flexibility hurts the Rockets chances at making moves if opportunities arise.

Morey is probably waiting Harrell out and hoping he takes the 2yr offer versus the 1 year n/g qualifying offer.

Just have to got with the lesser of two evils.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, BT, for the knowledge. Your efforting and expertise are appreciated and respected!

When I read your work (and I suppose you and DM the GM have some relationship/interaction) I come to this conclusion: TJo will be traded imminently as it is the best on and off court outcome for this year's edition of TheGoodGuys.

Jones is a legitimate NBA rotation 4; on a rookie contract that becomes RFA at season's end. At least one team with a TE or straight cap room should have sufficient interest for a protected 1st (in '16 or '17).

DM the GM and/or KMc have a long (reported) uh, jonesing for Boozer who is in line for a vet min contract. CB is < TJo but how much so for one season?

The cap effect makes signing Harrell easier while saving a few $s overall for in-season maneuverability.

From my perspective it feels like an inevitability.

Is my conclusion at full odds with yours, BT? Again, thanks...x...

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Awaiting basketballholic / bobbythegreat / et al rabid rebuttal:

13. micah1j

micah1j Member

what happens if Harrell were to take a Chinese contract for 1 year? Rockets would still hold his rights correct? Mundiay got a $1.2m contract for 1 year, surely Harrell can get a $800k-$1m contract. They certainly won't have many players with his ability over there. If he is considering the QO and facing a year in the D-League, then why not a Chinese contract? If the Rockets still hold his rights after the year in China why not find a contract for him?

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I don't completely disagree with your idea, I don't think it's very likely right now that Terrence Jones gets dealt. Jones is still a nice talent. D-Mo is still coming off back surgery. And aside from Ariza (who I personally would not want to see moved), there aren't any mid-sized salaries the Rockets can use to make a more significant trade until at least mid-December.

A Jones-for-Boozer (salary) swap on the Rockets' books wouldn't move the needle that much. While that could put the Rockets in a better position to give Harrell a deal more in line with what Boston gave Mickey, it would still result in Houston being right up against the hard cap with little remaining salary flexibility. That doesn't strike me as something Morey would do.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Even if they kept his rights, I'm sure the Rockets would prefer the training they can give him with the Vipers over whatever he'd learn in China.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Of course, but Harrell can make the decision to leave. If he gets a European contract, that could spell trouble for us.

17. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

BimaThug got 15 mins on Twitter to answer questions.

@BimaThug: Got 15 minutes of down time. Hit me up with any Rockets salary cap questions, and I'll try to answer as many as I can.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for your take. I trust your insight.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Here's how I see it being at start of season:

[​IMG]

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

"(Note: Llull has since reportedly agreed to a contract extension with Real Madrid that might actually lower his NBA buyout amount for next summer.)"

^ ^ ^

Best news in the entire article.