1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Hey, Remember when Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik were on the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Exactly, which is what I'm guessing they are exploring.

2. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Plot Twist: Lin and Asik are still on the team

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

I guess the Parsons part scares me. If the absolute max ($22.5, not 5th year) is a priority for Melo, then a SnT is the only way to go. And if that's the case, the potential cap clearing moves don't have "teeth" and we're left exposed with Parsons as a RFA.

4. basketballholic

There's no reason for the Knicks to do a S&T of Melo unless they're getting back assets. So if Morey has a trade market elsewhere for Asik and Lin then the only question is how much other assets are the Knicks going to require to sign-and-trade Melo? If they want a pick and a player....why give them that? Just trade Jones and DMo for future picks, clear cap and sign Melo outright.

So...if Melo wants to come to Houston...then the real key is would the Knicks settle for Asik and Lin? Because if they don't then you have to evaluate whether sending them other assets is worth it just to have an extra $2.5 million (the difference between the non-taxpayer MLE and the room MLE) to sign an extra player with. In my humble opinion, it isn't worth it giving up talent (or picks) to have that extra signing room. I think it is best just to clear cap for as many future picks as possible and sign Melo (or Lebron) or Bosh outright.

Especially if we find out we can move Lin out with $3.3 million and #25 and we can trade Asik for a future pick.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think any player we'd get for MLE is going to better than any late 1st round pick. And with Melo at 30 and having the big 3 in place, it's win now time.

1 person likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Of course NY wants an asset to participate in a S&T. The question how much NY wants and how does that compare to the cost/benefit of the alternative transactions.

The benefit of the S&T route is more available exceptions (MLE/BAE). If HOU is viewed as a contender, which it likely will be viewed as with Melo added, these exceptions may be used on a very good and very critical veteran or two who are willing to chase rings, but still wants to get paid decent $. Trevor Ariza and Pau Gasol are two guys who come to mind.

You can argue that it's only $2.5M extra, but it isn't. First, room exception are for 2 years while full MLE goes for 4. So it's more like less than $6M guaranteed vs. more than $20M. Second, going sign and trade also give the team the BAE. Most importantly, even a few million $ might make the difference in getting or losing a free agent.

If all NY demands are some minor future consideration similar to what TOR got for Bosh-- and they may not be in position to demand that much more if HOU does have a realistic "sign Melo outright" path, then it may well be worth to sacrifice these assets for immediate FA help.

#226 Carl Herrera, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. basketballholic

I don't think we'd even sign a single player to the MLE. It's simply not Morey's modus operandi. He chops up the MLE anyways.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

If love goes to warriors, emiid drops to boston, this could get ugly with moving these contracts without taking back any salaries, especially after the parsons situation and us trying to keep him.

9. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Honestly I'd think NY would be happy with Lin and Asik and maybe DMo as well. Money is not an issue with the Knicks for the balloons, Asik would be seen as a long term piece and maybe DMo as well.

It just comes down to whether or not Melo wants Houston over Chicago and the Bulls seem pretty confident they're his top choice.

Really need Bulls to trade for Love. Chicago could offer the best package with combos of Butler, Gibson, Mirotic, picks and Boozer expiring.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Does PZen want to do a deal within his Conference? That is a question of import IMO.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'm guessing the reason Morey is so confident in being able to deal Asik/Lin is worst case, his buddy Sam Hinkie and the 76ers are more than willing to help him.

The 76ers in addition to getting picks from the Rockets would be able to flip Asik/Lin for picks later in the season to desperate teams. Asik would be valuable to anyone, and Lin would have an opportunity to shine on a bad team with limited scoring options.

It's definitely in the 76ers best interest to get LeBron out of the East or prevent Melo from going to the Bulls.

2 people like this.
  13. MichaelG281713

Great point on that last sentence.

Obviously Lebron and Melo won't bother them next season, but a future of going against them should definitely be avoided. Especially when you're compensated for it, with no attached long term contracts.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

It's funny, but I've never thought of it that way. That's a good point. If I'm any eastern team besides NYK, Chicago, or Miami- I want these guys at West and I'm more than willing to aid in any salary dumps. Thinking about it, I think a 3 way trade with Boston is one of mutual benefit. Boston could get Love and Asik (thus keeping him away from the Warriors benefiting us), and we'd have space to sign either Melo (a division rival) or Lebron.

15. 9495

9495 Member

It's ok to speculate. But do show some respect to Lin and Asik. They are still on the roster and part of the rockets.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If he thinks Love is worth going after, it may happen. Amare isn't going to cut it.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Toronto were trading a better contract for Bosh, they had a bit more leverage

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It isn't that many, or accurately, most of us don't respect Omer and Jeremy. Most members here do, in my opinion. I certainly do. A heck of a lot of the fans that frequently spam the GARM supporting Lin to the point of absurdity is a different story - they do more harm than good to Jeremy's reputation here, in my opinion. When he's gone, I'll miss him, as well as Asik, but I don't find it necessary to repeat those feelings in every post. This is very typical GARM speculation during the off-season. People like myself, who's current favorite player on the Rocks happens to be Chandler Parsons, will ponder what we could get for him that clearly improves the team. Having to repeat what a fan I am of Chandler in every post gets a bit ridiculous.

In other words, off-season GARM as usual, dude. :)-

19. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

That is an immature response to somebody making a good casevthat lin helped the rockets vs portland. We can not help it if you dont like lin
    That is you perogative. But being childish to someone who disagrees is foolish
    And obvious