1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Heavy investment in Kevin Porter Jr raises serious questions about Rockets front office

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Well, if Tillman likes chatting with Porter so much he's going to have to do it over the phone in the prison after the trial ends. Dude beat the woman so hard he broke her neck.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hey it’s funny you mention Charles Manson because I just realized today my grandfather was in McNeil’s Island at the same time he was. Anyway. Have a good night! :)

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know if Silas would make a good/great coach, but as I've said in other threads, I think he got the rawest deal out of anybody. His first shot at head coaching and it looks like he may have been forced to be a puppet. Were all the decisions he made his own? I'd say almost a definite "no". I doubt Ime is going to bow down - at least I hope not. I also don't think Silas was as incompetent or deserved the blame placed on him, but again - just a hunch.

And I'll also repeat, there was some real weird decision-making during the past few years. Sengun not getting minutes. Fine, his defense isn't the greatest, but let the dude play himself out of a spot. It's not like you have a lot of players better on a 20-win team. Then the inexplicable playing of Nix even after he had shown he either wasn't ready to be an NBA player or he would never be one. Followed by KPJ as a point guard (or even still being on the team, tbh). I was hoping he'd move back to playing a non-PG/wing player this season to see how that would work out. I honestly was fearful of a couple of things this season : 1) I thought they'd relegate Amen to 5th string or something. 2) KPJ would blow up when his minutes may get reduced and/or with FVV's arrival.

The past few years, I just said "they're just tanking for the next year or two", and just left it at that, and I still want to believe a lot of what they did was for the tank. I still don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but if y'all think Silas was that dumb or incompetent, I'll just keep disagreeing. I think we're down to 2 culprits : Fertitta and Stone working together, or Stone has Fertitta bamboozled, or Stone is being pressured by Fertitta. Like before, I don't have enough information to make a decision, but I think we're down to 2.

And, oh yeah, #FireSilas.

Shaman Smith, Rashmon, amaru and 4 others like this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No, not at all. A good coach would not put up with all of that. Silas did. He could have gone to the press, he could have been more forceful with the owner and front office, he could have quit, he could have played different rotations and dared Stone to fire him. He did none of those things and now has a rep that reflects his decisions.

5. MadMax

Very much like AJ Hinch it seems. Could have stood up to things he disagreed with but didn’t. Just a lot easier to say when it’s not your boss and you’re not in that situation, imo

Shaman Smith likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that Silas may not be as incompetent as it looked. But I think he is weak for not standing up to the boss. Or maybe he's just not smart enough to see that he would be the fall guy, and would not be a part of the future he helped tanking for. And he would not get another head coaching job in the near future because of his perceived failure here.

He should have just quit when those things became obvious. That way he at least could show that he would not be part of the clown show that would inevitably blow up.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

if firestone is let go, who will replace? i thought patrick the star won’t be dabbling in gm-ship. maybe michael “jordan” firtitti will take the wheels.

8. MadMax

Not often that first year coaches his age just quit on a job they dreamed all their life they’d finally get. I get your point but I’m not sure I personally would have left or done something I thought might get me fired from a job that exclusive. He seems like the kind of guy who would think nearly every day it COULD get better if the right things fall into place. Just seems like it’s really easy to judge that now from the outside looking in. Also, it’s a **** ton of cash to coach basketball. Not exactly a coal mine.

Shaman Smith, Rashmon, Easy and 2 others like this.
  9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

When Silas cried after hearing of the news of KPJ's extension, it wasn't tears of joy because he was happy for him. It was tears of sadness knowing his career as a head coach is now over.

a time to chill, Easy and spm_fan like this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

It’s perfectly OK to give a troubled young man a chance to turn his life around.
    It’s not OK to create a culture with no accountability, celebration of losing for the sake of "development" and "draft capital", glorification of young talents who haven’t done squat, giving them undeserved limelight and usage, etc, etc.

Is it really a surprise that KPJ didn’t actually change in this rotting culture?

I like @Clutch article, but in all honesty he’s been consistently cheerleading the "losing for the sake of talent" culture…

Shaman Smith likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I prefer to see it as focusing on player development rather than “tanking”. When u are rebuilding, you need to develop young talent and that means giving them playing time to develop. The problem is, we had no veterans or strong coaches to teach good habits. We had a meddling GM who literally installed players at particular positions instead of making them earn it; no accountability. And we didn’t actually do a very good job of developing our young players; putting them in good spots to succeed.

I don’t think it’s good to intentionally lose or create a culture that allows losing to be okay. But I do think during a rebuilding period the priority has to be player development, accountability and strong culture more so than winning. The problem is that we haven’t prioritized those things in the Stone era. We’ve just been losing for the sake of losing

#111 Aruba77, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    Shaman Smith, Easy and kubli9 like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tbh u didn't need hindsight to know that the kpj pg experiment was a failure, man didn't have the skillset and having an inexperience player learn on the fly to become a pg hindered the development of the other youngsters with potential.

Yet time and time we have the same Ole dummies state stupid sht like: traditional pg guard doesn't exist anymore, he passes well his teammates just whiffs and he's averaging a lot of assists.

Man could have been a great sixth man, something folks been saying 1-2 season ago.

Shaman Smith, amaru and kubli9 like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I would think internally in the NBA people would know the on-goings of some of these teams. For example, like many people external to the team said the team is a cluster. How do they know what's going on? Because people talk. I wonder what percentage of people actually think Silas was running the show and making all those decisions vs. "yeah, we get what was going on there". Also, he's a rookie coach doing whatever he was told to do, and quitting on the job may not look good because what would happen at his next gig if things got too tough? He'll quit again? Why should any team hire him then? Kind of like any normal job, I guess.

I really don't blame him for sticking around. There are lots of people in workplaces that stuck around until it finally just got to be too much mentally/emotionally. I know I've done that at past jobs. And, who knows - maybe Silas was just told to do this for another year (his option year) and he thought his option may be picked and we could get back to trying to win or ... hell, if I know. lol. Just all speculation. I'm ready to just move on from this whole incident/era.

Shaman Smith and Easy like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Silas still sucked.

Nook and PWR like this.
  15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

17. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

lol

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have said it again and it is getting tedious.

The Non Transparency since Stone arrived is ludicrous.

There is virtually no Fan interaction.......he really does not give interviews unless he is being coerced into.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly, and people don't have an issue with paying Dillon Brooks $20M
    per year?

That guy is psycho....try moving him to 6th man during the next 4 years
    by moving Jabari or Whitmore to the SG or SF. There will be fists thrown.

Most of the Raptors hated VanVleet last season, so let's give him $43M per
    season.

Schroeder and KPj are the only ones that argue with coaches.....wrong.

Many do

DeBeards likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member