1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Timberwolves @ Rockets 4/3/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

KPJ is such a polarizing player to comment on. There are people here who believe he's our best defender (seriously) and a budding superstar while others, like me, see him as possibly useful in a bench role (ideally) or off-guard role like SF (less than ideal, but I'll take it), but definitely not as a PG. As the season closes out, there's nothing that has changed to show that he's capable of being a point guard. He turns it over far too much (he had eight tonight, which isn't uncommon for him), misses open men, is not good in the pick and roll, and his mismanagement impacts everyone else on the court. His turnovers make it difficult for others to get their games going, and when he misses men cutting to the basket, the offense gets stagnant while he dribbles the clock out with his hesi moves back and forth.

KPJ this season has proven to be a really good catch and shoot guard when he's off ball, and that he can be really effective as an attacker when he gets the ball. As a PG, he's bad. He makes the game tougher for those around him and is best when he dribbles it up and passes it off immediately to someone else.

3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a little surprised that it hasn't been done before, but so happy that it happened for our guys!! From AAU to the NBA!

5. HP3

HP3 Member

I think people are confused about what a PG really is, these days. Its not your prototypical pass first guards anymore. Its about people who can consistently create good shots for their teams wether thats through them or through getting open shots for their team. If KPJ can attack and make reads off of getting down hill, then I think he can be that guy.

But again, like I have said before, you draft the best player in the draft, doesnt matter the position.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Silas back in the my dog house. Just give Jalen more shots. what is wrong with this guy?

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't think there have been so many rookies that are potential stars, roll players, all stars on one team, at the same time, from the same draft.

The Rockets pulling 4 serviceable players from one draft is wacky. I mean, Jaygup and Garuba are late round picks.

8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, because we definitely wouldn't want Jalen taking shots away from Garrison Mathews or Jae'sean Tate, amirite?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I agree, but even in the non-traditional mould, you have to have a guy who can run the pick and roll effectively. Modern offenses revolve around PnR play. Unfortunately KPJ is terrible at hitting players on the roll, misses open men, and is actually less effective himself on the court when he brings the ball up and has to try and orchestrate the offense vs. his more natural catch and attack play when he's simply thinking score first. That's what I've seen out of him at least.

hakeem94 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

87.8 TS% and 75.1 TS%!!

OUTSTANDING!!!

cmoak1982, vator, 18pbr and 3 others like this.
  12. vator

vator Contributing Member

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm proud of the team. We were 24 points down at the end of the 3rd quarter, and ended up losing only by 7 points. They didn't lose hope and continued to fight. Jalen is becoming more efficient, he also had 5 assists. Josh is growing up fast too.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe he'll slap his own damm face.

Defense is hellish.

Fulgore and Salvy like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

okay.. okay.. Maybe KARL is not that corny. I apologize for the slander. thank you for the props.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

This is delicious

LOL at JG haters and detractors

17. i3artow i3aller

#697 i3artow i3aller, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s a combo guard who can play some point, but I don’t think you will ever be able to rely on him at PG if you want to win. I don’t see evidence of it anyway. And I like the guy! I think he could be an extremely valuable rotation piece who should get big minutes, but I don’t think he will ever be a winning primary PG. He’s a rare talent though, especially if he could ever pull it all together.

xtruroyaltyx and HorryForThree like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Silas still walking the thin line and duping other teams to believe he could coach a middle of the pack team when he leaves.

He can't and shan't.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member