1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 2/25/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Jalen was getting to the paint and distributing very well last night. Could’ve easily had a few more assists. Idk who else on the team does that for you.

Amen does need to take those shots. 2 or 3 a game, you can’t just turtle your way out of it. He’s got work to do, no question but I’ll live with a bad shooter over a pump faker.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think SGA will average 30 in the playoffs, because of the nba’s unspoken new rules when the playoffs start. If Chet stays healthy they do have a strong team.

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Playing Amen only 20 mins in a game is criminal unless he tweeked something. Even when he is having off night he is our best defensive player. Sengun was terrible last night. He has lost the confidence he had most of the season. FVV has now played awful in 12 out of his last 13 games. Brooks looks hurt to me.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Agreed on everything. Amen is really leading the charge right now.

Sengun seems to have lost interest since the failed bid for all-star.

Brooks has become Memphis Brooks instead of Canada Brooks. Seems like unlimited leash and unlimited pass for these vets. Except Landale. We desperately need a big off the bench and Landale got got earlier this year. Garbage time only.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No one compared SGA to Jalen they were not even close to being in the same draft class.

My point is 20 year old SGA was also a dude trying to find his way, I'm not even comparing him to Jalen at all, I've already said its likely Jalen is a bust. My point is if this team was built on 20 year old SGA we'd still be a team in the lottery looking for draft picks. We'd still suck.

My argument is people should be a lot more patient with others on the team that ARE improving. People love to tear down 20 year old Jabari for instance and say he can't be a star...well, find me ANYONE that thought 20 year old SGA would be an MVP candidate at 25. You won't find it. Unless that person is a relative of his or something.

gfab-babyboi and AuburnRocket like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah that's nice and all but... they have to prove it in the postseason. If they get knocked out in the first round by the Lakers or Warriors no one will be calling them an elite team anymore. I'm not saying anything radical here, most people know that the playoffs are just different. You see the same team 4+ times and any weaknesses you have WILL be exposed and any players that are scared of big moments will also be exposed.

7. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun played like an ass last night!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not just them, it was 2 vs Kenny, no idea about EJ. Vince and Shaq are adamant at how the team plays, Kenny speaks of Experience of the Clippers but the players have the experience on other teams......

What is interesting and why OKC is rated that high because that young team plays like a 28 year old team......not saying what will be, but what could be.

We can also just talk about early contenter talk........obviously whoever wins wins.....

• My favorites are still Denver, then OKC, then Clippers, then Minny and Dallas, have I forgotten someone the Rockets? Phoenix on the outside looking in.
    • I think the Lakers and Worriers have the same problem that they are not consistent, obviously you do not have to be that consistent in the Playoffs....but I do not like their chances this year.
    • Lakers and GSW found themselves too late IMHO.
    • At one point, there should be a passing the torch from the Lake Show, Worriers to the Thunder and Wolves......Denver is in the middle ...not too old not very young.
    • Kawhi and Harden are the XY factors in this discussion of course. At best though.
    • In my calculations the Clippers are the Dark horse and OKC is in the Tier 2 contender or what you call.....the Inner Circle but not Favorites.

#1188 daywalker02, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Big Question would if OKC can close out a series in style because I know they can rally back from deficits.....and they have the fire power to go on big leads.....

If they cannot close out a tight series, they are done this year at least.

I would get Giddey out of there and probably get someone better than Hayward on that team, and get a better backup Big.....

Those are the moves in the future. They are scary and good now already.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What Tate is doesn't have nothing to do with what Jalen is. Both are equally pathetic in their own right and neither should be starting on a NBA basketball team that's contending for the playoffs.

11. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Sure this may have already been posted....but, on my Auburn board, it says that Jabari made history as the youngest player to have:

1500 PTS.
    1000 Rebounds
    200 3PM
    100 BLK
    He doesn't turn 21 til May.

Not bad for a role player. If it's easy to do, why did he become the youngest to do it ? I'm going to tell you....just what I've been saying..and that's that he is in his SECOND YEAR and had one year at Auburn before coming into the league. He just become the youngest player to do the above (pretty versatile). By and large, there are not many 19 year olds sliding into the league and being an all star right off the bat. He has not even grown into his own body yet. There are some people seriously underrating him. Before it's said and done, he will make a lot people eat a ton of crow.He's like the 4th option on offense and not even emphasized.

#1191 AuburnRocket, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  12. AuburnRocket

Somebody was saying that OKC would win multiple( more than one) NBA Championships this decade. Don't remember who... but, that is highly unlikely...even one. They are not easy to win.They are stacked with 1st round picks but you can only put 5 on the court at one time. It is extremely fair to say at this point that they are a dark horse. Anything can happen but saying they will win multiple championships within the next 5 years doesn't compute. In the Big Dance, the 9th best odds would be considered a dark horse as well.

JayGoogle likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OKC is probably going to be Boston ....that they make tons of Conference Finals but rarely win 1.....

I think the CBA and Second Apron situation do not favor dynasties no more.....you are seeing more teams just winning 1 or 2.....and that is it.

Unless Chet Holmgren becomes the Skinny Shaq who shoots 3s.....

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What will happen is that OKC would the hub center of trade, that other GMs have to call Ainge or Presti first to see what they can get ouf of them.....

If they can raid them of a few first round picks.

AuburnRocket likes this.
  15. AuburnRocket

So,
    COVID time warp ? Oh wait...that was 2019/20...OKC last appearance was 2012, right ? The odds are heavily against any team winning it...Vegas is going to be very unhppy.

JayGoogle likes this.
  16. AuburnRocket

I'm anxiously awaiting him rejecting Joker and some of these other Centers. And Chet going against them in the paint on offense. He'll be living on the 3 pt.line instead of facing up inside.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep they are INCREDIBLY hard to win and also undoubtedly take luck. Chet could indeed be injury prone, maybe this is his only healty year? Maybe someone on the team has personal issues that takes them out of the game? Or maybe...these guys don't improve much past this year which happens A LOT. Or maybe, SGA can hit FA and decide nah I want to play with Lakers or Heat now. Then what?

Actually I get into these discussions with @daywalker02 a lot one of the best things he's said here is "Progression isn't always linear" and that's 1000% true.

It's true for our guys as we've seen (Jalen has REGRESSED offensively) and its true for theirs too. There is nothing in stone that says Jalen Williams will be better 4 years from now or Chet or even SGA. It's why prolonged greatness is rare. Its why what the Warriors have done this era is impressive. It's why Lebron will go down as all time top 5.

Some guys have 2-3 years in their prime then start falling like Arenas. Some guys suck at the start then get exponentially better later in their careers like Jimmy Butler. Some guys are complete teases like Grant Hill or Yao where you go if only they were healthy...

There is such a variety of things that can happen that can derail their team.

So I'll say again, this isn't me HATING on OKC, I'm complimenting them. They are a darkhorse team with a core that is 20-25 years old. That's amazing...but until I see them in the playoffs I don't see the west going through them. I honestly (personally) feel like they are a toss up in a 7 game series against most of the teams in the playoffs right now.

So I'm not the one trying to predict the future, I never said this or that team will be the team to beat for years...I just said that for THIS season I don't see OKC winning it. I think they get to the 2nd round because I don't see them getting past the Clippers or Denver. Sactown is also a very dangerous team (Fox goes off in the playoffs) and Minny is a lot like OKC where I don't know what they will do and I don't think teams want to play against the Warriors or Lakers in the first round just because of Steph and Lebron have the ability to completely take over and win games their teams should not have won.

BUT they could surprise everyone. It's not disrespect to OKC I just think other teams have more experience and depth which tend to matter a crap ton in the playoffs.

18. AuburnRocket

Some really good points noted here. I too don't have anything against OKC...in fact, the CEO of an OKC company I worked for has a minority interest in the team. First off...the top 4 teams in the West are separated by 2/12 games....with 25 games left it's not a certainty that we are looking at a #1 seed...maybe but not a given. EXPERIENCE is SOOO important.

There is some really good potential there but don't know how they'll react until you see them in playoffs. Chet can be dang good but his stamina/injury question would have to be a real concern during a long grueling season.

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@JayGoogle

I think the Rockets (a non playoff contender right now) are a tougher matchup for OKC than perhaps Dallas just because of the Defense and players like Sengün, Amen and Jabari Smith in the Front court.

And even to an extent Clippers.

The Rox can somehow challenge their Small Ball.

Clips and Dallas are more Clutch than the Rockets.

#1199 daywalker02, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024