1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 2/25/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wihout his timely 3s...though...Fred is a combo guard....people always mistake him for a pure PG.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, he is 24-25....and you are going to find out.....but I think Jalen Williams should step up for OKC to advance.

SGA is the least problem.

If Jalen Williams cannot cook, they are done anyways. That is huge expectations on a guy who is his 2nd or 3rd season.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Betting odds don't seem very predictive, but there has been a strong statistical correlation with (number of games of) playoff experience and playoff success.

AuburnRocket and JayGoogle like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's exactly how odds work genius

Boston+230 means they have about a 60% chance of not winning the title according to "odds"

Denver at +400 means ~ 80% of not winning. Etc.

Anyway you know what's way more predictive than odds?

Games you ninny like the one this thread is about.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think it's interesting how calling a young team like OKC that is ahead of schedule as a 'Darkhorse' really ruffled feathers.

You'd think I was on an OKC board and called the team trash or something.

I'm just like wow, can we wait until they get a WCF appearance before we crown them a dynasty?

Reminds me of those Texan fans that got mad that not everyone had the Texans going to the superbowl because...surprise surprise, people wanted to see if CJ was going to be a playoff choker or rise to the occasion. Usually how it works.

Sorry for coming after your team like that though!

6. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

And then you got someone pointing up that he only shot 40% (6/15)....when he didn't smell the ball for the 2nd qtr (one shot was a 3/4 shot to end the half) and most of the 3rd. If the ball hog 5'11" guard wasn't going 1 on 3 at the rim and getting the ball shoved down his throat and kicking it out for an open look, maybe that changes. It is truly laughable that makes his first 4 shots...all of a sudden is excluded from getting the ball. Ime said we went away from team and sharing the ball to individual play. And, we did.

Sonicbun8 and RHU525 like this.
  7. AuburnRocket

He doesn't shoot all that well as a rule, he damn sure didn't share it. Both Bari and Jalen had 4 assists. He fashions himself being a Kobe, he ain't. I also don't think he or Brooks bring a vet calming influence to the youngsters as was attributed to them. Grossly overpaid too.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol...
    So according to Sam, no one is going to win the title...based on the odds.

Uh huh, can you tell me OKCs odds then?

Ah yeah, that's right, because the higher seed ALWAYS wins!

Wait, maybe you think this is the EPL and the league champion is the team with the best regular season record?

AuburnRocket likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, he is not a Top 5 PG in my books either but he is all the Rockets could get......

The Rockets are not a FA destination.....people are daydreaming that the Rockets can get Kyrie, Lebron and everyone, lmao.

That is not happening either.

This Playoff and higher Play In dream should have ended way earlier, and Stone should have traded Tate for picks......and start planning ahead.

10. SamFisher

I didn't say they're a dynasty I'm just ashamed at fellow Rockets fan going "Monty Python flesh wound knight" by erecting the "dark horse - contender" scale after a right proper hiding by an ascendant Thunder squad.

Rockets suck, Thunder are good, it is what it is.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And thats exactly why teams with more playoff experience have better odds.

But hey, maybe I'm crazy for not thinking a team with a combined like near 0 playoff experience is going to make it through the western conference I don't know.

I just know those guys can cash out if they are so confident in OKC.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Literally all I said was I didn't see them as a contender and that they are a darkhorse...which is exactly what most people have them as. This seems to be a big deal with you in particular.

I never said the Rockets are better than them. That's something you seem to be very happy to say though almost like you are a thunder fan...

13. AuburnRocket

Maybe you are right....but, I think you are limited by what you think can't do. What'd we pay this guy ? 40.8 mil for this year, 42.8 next year and 44.9 year after ( contingent) 83.6 mil for the next 2 years buys you a lot...certainly more than him.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we overestimated what 90 million cap money can do......it is a boat load of money but it cannot buy an entire team.

And Tilman should not have jumped the ship with all the Phase 2 or 3 talks.

And instead just say....we are trying to make the Play In in the next 2-3 years.....trying to get into the Top 8 one step at a time.

Keep a low profile, and not praying for Victor again.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I meant in terms of being a young and up and coming team. The fact that they have a high seed when Chet and JDub got drafted last year and SGA is still under 26 and they still have a mountain of picks speaks volumes.

JayGoogle likes this.
  16. AuburnRocket

They are a "darkhorse" ...put me down that I don't think they are a contender either. SGA great, Holmgren very good ( but fragile) and not great supporting cast around them IMO. Will be a different story when Holmgren is being bodied up by a legit defensive big. In short, they are as ypou said a "darkhorse".

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

You mean FVV? His salary is expiring next year, that's the reason we are paying him 40M. The reality is I can't find PGs on the open market last year who were willing to sign with the Rox a d better than FVV besides Harden and Harden wants a 5 yr max deal.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not mind a dark horse tag with the 2nd seed either......that is probably as good as a dark horse can get in Playoff seedings.

The Pacers are a dark horse for me, the Thunder are a Dark Mammoth than a Dark Horse.

SamFisher and roslolian like this.
  19. AuburnRocket

We could have bought better than FVV with that 41 mil and Brooks with 22.63 mil. Can't buy a whole team when 64 mil has gone to those 2. I don't see players shaking in their sneakers when being guarded by DB. Agree on jumping ship by Tilman. We've got what we've got for now.

20. SamFisher

[
    And yes, it's funny because the team that wins the most games and the #1 seed is a contender according to most people even though the "odds" will tell you that "most people" also think that team (and every team) is going to eventually lose and not contend.

That's why we watch games you ninny.