1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 10/22/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Maybe you're not looking lol Anytime I say anything about SIlas I get a response back about how its not his fault.

#821 Joe Rocket, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Where did he say that? I must've missed that.

34to11 likes this.
  3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

In an interview about a week ago. He said this years system is different because it cuts down on pick and roll and clearly after game 1 SIlas changed that.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but Silas never said he didn't want pick and roll anymore, did he? That's what I was referring to. And Wood never said Silas said that, right? You're talking about the interview where Feigen asked Wood what was different about the system this year and last, right? Also in the first game I think you saw Green attempting more pick and rolls where others dive to the basket more.

Wood said he doesn't roll to the basket in pick and rolls as much in this year's offense and finds himself shooting from the corner and wings more. He also said he prefers this.

I'm guessing the defenses they're facing will play a role in how they play, too. I doubt Silas is going to say "I hate pick and rolls" all of a sudden and then the next game "I like pick and rolls again!"

34to11 likes this.
  5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im gonna stop replying to you now cuz I said what Wood said ok ****ing stop.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Please find where he said that. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just prove to me he said what you said he did. But of course, if you're going to stop responding to me, then woe is me. :(

In the meantime, here's proof of what I said in the first 1:20 :

7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The question what the difference in the knew system. He talked about finding himself setting less pick and roll in the new system. The fact that you watched that and heard him talk about spacing and you still dont get that it was supposed to be less pick and roll and the fact that we were all confused as to why they were not playing pick and roll the first game boggles my ****ing mind. You showed proof that youre wrong and you dont even get that, that is what you did. Jesus this board man.

#827 Joe Rocket, Oct 23, 2021
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hey, you're back! Thanks. Now, actually, here's what you said :

Now, tell me where Wood said that Silas didn't want pick and roll anymore, because you made it seem as if Silas abandoned pick and roll and suddenly it made its reappearance in the TWolves game. I never saw the quote you were referencing, so I wanted to see it. All I saw was Wood's comment that they're doing a lot more with him taking jumpers outside and not rim-running as much and he liked that. Just trying to understand - not give you a stroke.

I honestly couldn't care less if you like or dislike anybody on the Rockets, btw. I'm just trying to figure out where the quote came from because if it's what Wood said in the video above, I'm going to have to disagree ... he didn't say what you said he did.

9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You are slow brother lol. THE QUESTION WAS HOW IS THE SYSTEM DIFFERENT. Wood talked about spacing and how he finds himself setting less pick and roll in the system ergo SIlas wasnt trying to create pick and roll opportunities like last year his system is screens from the top that is the one play they have been running. It did not work well in the first game the second game was a steady stream of pick and roll ergo me saying SIlas changed. If you noticed I didnt quote him I gave a logical paraphrase of what he said.
    new system
    less pick and roll
    ergo that is what SIlas was trying to do.
    I hope that is broken down enough for you. You seem to be one of those people who hate to be wrong so you boil everything down
    til it means nothing.
    BTW quoting someone means you actually put quotation marks around what you're saying the person said. Just in case you get confused in the future.

#829 Joe Rocket, Oct 23, 2021
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Whats also funny about this entire conversation is that I usually give SIlas **** for not making enough changes and the one time I give him credit for seeing something that didnt work in the first game and changing it in the next and you're telling me it just didnt happen despite what Wood said. Like did you watch the games people were asking why they werent playing pick and roll as much, give me a break.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sorry, I still don't see your proof. Just a stroke in the making. Let me know when you find what you stated he said.

ico4498 and durvasa like this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I now completed see why you have 37000 post and less than half the likes, truly a ****ing **** poster.

13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"hey christian wood hows the new system" "i find myself setting less picks" If SIlas didnt design it that way why did he respond those words to that question LMAO. Total logical fail.

#833 Joe Rocket, Oct 23, 2021
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And from that you conclude Silas didn’t want PnR any more? Have you considered the different offense is an adaptation to a different lineup where Wood is now playing alongside another big who isn’t as good a floor spacer as him, and he’s also no longer playing with PnR ball-handlers of the caliber of Harden/Wall?

15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yes not only did Wood say that but KPJ said he liked this game more because SIlas called less plays from the system and he could go do what he wanted and he liked that more. That resulted in 9 assists form mostly pick and roll. So Silas let go of the system a bit and CHANGED and let them play how they wanted.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The reason Silas called less plays was because there was less resistance from the opposing defense. I could be wrong, but I doubt there was a conscious decision on his part to get his team to run more PnRs. Differences in play types from one game to the next will vary depending on what the defense is doing and a bunch of other on-court factors that isn’t directly tied to coaching changes.

34to11 likes this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Whatever the reason and I dont know that I agree with that one, the fact still remains is that his system does not invovle a lot of pick and roll that only happens when he stops calling plays. You can clearly have a pick and roll system if you watch game one it looks like more sreens and this is all I was talking about.
    "We didn't like the way we played in game 1; and, we rectified it." -Silas Go look at his postgame interview he talked about learning in game one that they are better calling less plays. He said they are better with less half court sets and they learned that from game one. This resulted in more pick and roll. What he was trying to do was get Wood more threes because he is one of our few 3 point shooters with his plays but it was better to let them freelance more. When I say he didnt like Pick and Roll this year I meant he favored plays trying to get Wood open in the corner.

#837 Joe Rocket, Oct 23, 2021
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Joe Rocket and Deckard like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hadn't seen that angle. Thanks. The kid can fly! Good lord, he was just hammered going up.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've watched that dunk attempt so many times, but honestly, the best part of that clip is Christian Wood's reaction.