1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Suns @ Rockets 11/17/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 17, 2007.

1. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

u do know why vince young's teams are always in the games right (like the titans are WITH THEIR DEFENSE) so he can play well for 2-3 drives and be the hero when in reality, he's a VERY AVERAGE QB.

tmac on the other hand has to do everything and anything. so why the hell can't someone finish it for him?

2. jondoe

jondoe Member

Yeah, i noticed it recently, maybe they'll start correcting it, but it is not an anomaly when three teams shoot 50 percent or better from three in three straight games. Remember how open Michael Finley was?
    Once Battier starts sniffing around for the ball, the good teams will always break down the D and find the open shooter. His man might not get the shot because of the defensive rotation, but there will always be a wide open shooter.
    To me, Battier isn't that great on D, he doesn't play team D and is too concerned with getting charges instead of contesting shots. In todays NBA, with most teams sporting 4 three point shooters in their starting 5, it is best to stay at home.

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yes. My post was dogging the folks who claim he is this great QB when he basically relies on the defense to keep it close and see if he can make a play at the end of the game to win it. As a thrower he is way below average, as a runner he is way above average, so yeah, he's average.

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

but he wins. when u win, your status goes up.

look at terry bradshaw. look at ben roethislisberger b4 this great year. they had average stats but won.

now if tmac just wins, he'll be a legend and on par w/ the greats of this league. but we have to wait if he can lead this team to the promised land.

he seems more poised and clutch this year so it's a good sign.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yeah, T-Mac looks a lot more comfortable. He is getting easy baskets which is key for him to stay healthy and rested.

6. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

Couldn't agree with you more!!

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Battier contests more shots than any perimeter player on the Rockets. Sagging off your guy on the weakside to help defend against penetration is what a good team defender is supposed to do.

8. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

I have to agree with at this point. Battier should try his best to go back for transition defense rather than to try to steal the ball.

9. jondoe

jondoe Member

I'm not hating on Battier, I was just watching the games and wondering how the heck the other team kept getting wide open looks at the three. Then I started to watch and notice Battier cheats a little too much off of his man. Man, fifty percent from three!! In three games!! something isn't right. Sure he gets a lot of charges, but watch Bruce Bowen play D and you will notice the discipline and the unseen aspect which is cutting down lanes and limiting open space for the player he guards. And I also agree that he should be one of the first one back playing transition D because he is always at the three point line on offense.

10. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Excellent post, the last 3 games the team has did a horrible job at CHALLNEGING shots and GUARDING the freaking 3 pointer.Adelman isn't communicating firmly the game plan,Does he tell them to challenge shooters and defend the 3.You have to engrave in your players minds specificly against teams like the spurs and suns who change the games momentum by making those 3 pointers to CHALLENGE the shooters, Rick some worried about offense and the DEFENSE is starting to freaking slip.Rick I think is being insecure he doesn't like anyone's input on how he coaches the team he picks his assistants based on them not having their own ideas.

With 5 minutes to go we were up by 9 points against the spurs in the 1st half and they hit 2 or 3 threes to open the game up for them. Same thing last night we get within 5 or 6 points and we let pakowski hit a 3 and change the momentum in their favor. He needs to pound in their freaking heads to CHALLENGE shots.

11. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

That's what you get when you make $20 million a year and you shoot almost all jumpshots.

12. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

kobe shoots 80% jumpshots. tmac shoots 80% jumpshots. just in the last yr, his J was inconsistent.

now he has his J back.

when you have a great perimeter game like those 2, u shoot jumpers b/c well, you have a great perimeter game.

when u don't like a dwade or lebron, u drive. people have different games.

but tmac's ft attempts in the playoffs have been around 8 per game, which is good.

13. dreamrockets

dreamrockets Member

We cannot rely on yao's post game for three reasons: 1) Yao is not that clutch, 2) Yao uses to TO when he is tired. and this is partly because 3) opponents are hacking him and sometimes he gets no calls.

Steve played good, and should get more minutes next game.
    Scola showed what he could do in these two games.

T-MAC is such a good passer and scorer. When T-Mac is back, we need to play more pick and roll between Yao and T-MAC. That play is effective! Now, we could also play pick and roll between Scola and T-MAC. Scola can shoot!

14. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Things nearly came to a head with T-Mac for me during the Milwaukee game. He kept shooting pull up jumper after pull up jumper, bailing the defense out. He had that one thunder dunk when he took it into the lane that shut me up pretty quick, but still.

And that was after we had just watched Ginobili in the previous game ram it down our throats every time he got the ball.

The closest thing to (Ginobili's/Wade's aggressiveness + T-Mac's talent) is Kobe.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

How about Yao and Tmac running pick and roll on one side and Steve and Scola running pick and roll on the other side?

Let McGrady and Yao run it and if the defense collapses throw it to Stevie, with Scola flashing out for the pick and run it again, except you've got a 7'6" giant on the weakside with a big time shooter on the perimeter. Talk about options and totally breaking the defense down to little itty bitty bits. Steve can dish to Scola, drive and finish, drive and dish to 2 of the top 10 players in the league.

16. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Excellent points

17. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

please, ginobili plays 28 minutes a game. the defense does not key on him all the time. please, just stop. if tmac plays 28 mins a game, and he's fresh enough down the stretch, he'll attack a lot.

that bucks game was yao v. yi. u can see that tmac held back so much (he shot 18 times and made 9). that was yao's game. tmac def. didn't want to get much shine in that game.

he has driven enough (proportionally) this year that he's playing like the orlando tmac. even the orlando tmac shot 78% jumpers and that was the best offensive player in the L.

tmac knows his back limitations. he will pick and choose his spots.

but please, don't compare him to ginobili. it's an insult.

18. PlayDoh

PlayDoh Member

wtf??? what does KG have to do with anything i just said? damn YOF fan

19. duteman

duteman Member

Got dominated on D and fell short of we could have done on O. Yao Played a disgusting game and not capitalizing on the smaller guys on him...he rushes his shot too much on these scrappy guys.

Saw Francis get some minutes and he showed poise most of the game and ran an offense Scola is filling the role and then some...Luther head played a solid game.

This loss sucked and it felt hopeless trying to run but we kept up better than we ever had as far as points so I'm optimistic. I think RA is getting a grasp of the talent he's got and 5 games down we'll get something figured out if not sooner.

Day off on Wednes either getting trashed by Victory or sad defeat....I choose Victory GOooooooooo!!!! Rockets!!!!! 2008 Champs!!!!

20. JustWannaChill

ROFL.