1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Spurs @ Rockets 2/9/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2004.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'd take a guy who has fresh legs and a height advantage on his man over a guy that played 48 minutes of basketball with a height disadvantages Robert Horry contesting his shot.

That might be true if it wasn't for his aftergame comments saying he'd take that shot again, and for the fact that he's done the exact same thing almost every single time down the court in a similar end of quarter/half situation. He wasn't looking to pass. He was looking to jack up that shot while trying to shake his defender who wasn't falling for his dribble mania.

2. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

i also think it's hilarious how these laker fans, and how everybody in the whole damn world, even in the darkest corners of bumblefunk china, knows what's wrong with this team...except for the damn team itself!!

for instance this post:

"1hu2ren3dui4 your high.

Mobley and Francis are a combined 6-20 right now. While Yao is an efficient 7-11. With his height he seems like a competent passer out of the double team. He should touch the ball on almost every posession.

I have watched a lot of Houston games, and if Gundy don't call a timeout and straighten them out Francis and Mobley, paticularly Francis, will dribble the damn ball all over Hell and back for most of the clock, inbetween jacking up threes I mean. "

-------------------
    this guy was posting what i was thinking the whole damn game....why is yao not getting more touches while he shoots over 50% and steve and cat suck it up and tim duncan has more shots although td and yao had very similar points.

and then in the last sentence he prophesized the last 15 seconds of the game.....lemme see if i can recall....oh yeah, steve francis with chance to tie, dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble last second...... oops...missed. badly.

how many more times must this go on!!?!?!??!?!?! please, pleeeeeeease, put me out of my bloody misery.......... :(

couple more relevant game topic quotes from the lakers fan forum.....aaaaah, misery that is the rockets fan loves company...

"What did I say? Pass the (bleep)in ball Steve."

"word. Damn poor Van Gundy..the look on his face is disgusting."

3. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

got to sleep right now, or my wife will kick my ass. Looking forward to the game tomorrow with Lakers. If we play the way as this game, we would have good chance to win. :)

4. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

I couldn't agree with you more. The most significant thing you said was: "JVG and Stevie has major conflict brewing for the offseason because JVG doesn't trust Stevie at all at the end of the game."

JVG doesn't trust Steve. So Steve's gone. Maybe before the trade deadline? I say hell yeah.

5. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

15, 14, 13....................

dribble, dribble, dribble,...............off-balance airball: game over.

Can you picture any other player in the NBA doing what our "franchise player" did at the end of the game? If only we transplant Mark Jackson's brain into Francis' cranium:rolleyes:

Some things never change.

D R

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Lack of timeouts didn't hurt us, TURNOVERS are what killed us. As usual, Rocket turnovers helped the other team beat them. The Spurs got 23 points off turnovers.

JVG's use of timeouts should not be an issue here at all. The Rockets appear to be incapable of playing good basketball for long stretches of time and continually lapse into the unstructured and stupid play that we've seen for years now. JVG really has no choice but to burn his TOs in order to get the children's focus back on playing the game properly.

As for SF blowing it at the end, well, by now it should be OBVIOUS to everyone that teams are defensing the Rockets this way. They WANT SF with the ball because they realize that more often than not, he will: make the wrong decision and try to play 1-on-4; turn the ball over (and commit a foul); or dribble dribble dribble and jack up a wild-assed shot. This happens so much that, by now, it's a matter of routine. As I explained in an earlier post: Get used to it! SF has made it blatantly clear that he intends to continue to play his game no matter what JVG or anyone else thinks. The ONLY question is whether his doing so helps or hinders the team's playoff chances.

7. farhan007

farhan007 Member

8. farhan007

farhan007 Member

9. farhan007

farhan007 Member

exactly. Thanks for prooving my point. He doesnt disobey JVG openly on the court like everyone thinks he does.

10. silentfan

silentfan Member

I got a serious question I want answered..

Why does JVG put in bench players who are cold or havent even played in the game during crunch time?

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Because we needed a three, so he put the 3 pt shooters. Makes sense to me...

12. Severe Rockets Fan

In other words, FOF are FOS...

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Uh, Tony Parker was about 6 feet off of him. Padgett is 7 inches taller than Parker too. Is that guarded to you? Also, what about JJ being wide open when SF went around that padgett pick? Was Parker too much of a defensive genius for Francis?

14. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Really Rockets fans, take a chill pill fellas. I was upset like the lot of ya after the loss but that's usually the wrong time to evaluate the game in the heat of the moment.

Putting things in perspective it was a tough loss but for the most part it was a good game. In the final analysis I think it was 2 things that hurt us the most: (1) turnovers, (2) 3/19 3-pt shooting. Even with that we fought a tough opponent nose-to-nose and kept it nip-&-tuck.

15. AGBee

AGBee Member

Aren't turnovers ALWAYS the thing that hurt us the most? It gets old.

16. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

thank you very much, tango.

did anybody even look at the boxscore? did anybody notice that only one guy could put the ball in the hole? did anybody notice the points off of the turnovers the spurs got? despite this it was a remarkably close game.

five rox in dubs, out rebounded them... good game against an elite team.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Did Francis do that against Chicago?

18. yahooforyao

yahooforyao Member

I thought francis in the second half played excellent. I liked how he took charge at the end. I bet steve thought that 12 or 13 seconds wasnt enough for them to get a better opportunity, so instead of steve going to the lane and getting a close shot, he went back to look for the three. I thought he should of pased it out, and tried to get it back to him. I really liked his tough, determined attitude. This is a good sign....a sign that the players have an identity on there team

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How many rebounds did Yao get? He had a very good offensive night, but can you please stop Ginobli at the rim.

True, Steve had a bad game for the most part.

When Yao came in the game, didn't Francis get two assists off passes to Yao? Yes, so even if you want to complain that the game ran through the point guard, fine, but Yao was involved offensively down the stretch.

Francis took a bad shot, and didn't use the clock wisely, but to complain about his play in general in the 4th quarter is ridiculous. You say Francis Only Fans are insidious but you don't even want to give him credit for helping start the run, while Yao was on the bench.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Was it successful? I wonder why.