1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Spurs @ Rockets 12/11/2003

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 11, 2003.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

So, if the whole teams' TO equals or is above (15) Francis's TO (5) then, it's an indicator that Francis doesn't turn the ball over on a regular basis? What does this tell you about point guard "skills?" Shouldn't the "leader" set the standard? Raise the bar? Huh?

I think that's it's amazing that Francis still turns the ball over at the same rate concidering that he does NOT have the ball in his hands the same mount of time this year, compared to last year.

By the way, Francis is 4th in the league in TOs. Right behind Pierce (SG), Iverson (SG), James (PG/SG)...I'd might just as well be just as bad as putting Pierce at the PG postion or Iverson as I'd put Francis there. They play the same styles...Shooting guard! It's sooooo obvious!!!!!

By the way, last nights game was a stinker on the whole teams part. Even Yao.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That wasn't the point of my post. The point is that while as PG Francis has the ball in his hands their are games where our Center has more turn overs than our PG. Yet people don't really mention it with the same bile and malice. I said that I don't mind criticism of Francis just unfair criticism.

I never said that Francis isn't turning the ball over regularly, or comparing the whole team to Steve's. I never said that Francis shouldn't turn the ball over less. Those were never my claims, and was never the point I was arguing.

I was just pointing out that the criticism isn't evenly distributed. So in that respect Steve is kind of an underdog. I was asked why I support Steve. The main is reason is that he's on the TEAM I support, then I listed a lot of other reasons. I was never saying Steve is perfect or doesn't turn the ball over too much. Far from it. I believe I mentioned that he makes boneheaded plays, isn't the best pure point guard etc.

You are putting an argument in my mouth that I never made.

3. danjojo

danjojo Member

I stayed up until 5 am to watch this crap!

Yao was by far the worst Rocket last night. He's definitely not a clutch player...no wonder Steve and Cat take so many shots...

4. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

CUT ALL THE PLAYERS AND FIRE ALL THE COACHES!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE H3LL WAS THAT????

5. feishen

feishen Member

Congrats to both Spurs and Rox for setting that record.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

You are so RIGHT!!!!! They were so BAD!!! It made me want to give up and just have the League Pass fade away!!!

7. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Props to Clutch; from the worst game in history comes one of the most entertaining game threads in history.

8. superpro

superpro Member

That does look ugly and he flails his arms too often.

He definitely needs to stay in the gym more often. Quit the video games, Yao. You are not a boy any more.

Play like a man!

9. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I felt terrible after watching this game ... wanted to come in and vent my frustration ...
    I wanted to bash Steve for playing dumb and Yao for playing weak....
    After reading a hundred posts already done the job bashing everyone on our team from JVG on down ... I got to think ...
    Hey, it is not the end of the world ... as bad as we played ... we were in it till the very end ... one ball bounced differently and we could have won the game. When was the last time we can say that after scoring 67 pts? Let's just concentrate on the positives:

1) Our defense was terrific.
    2) Cat was terrific.
    3) JJ FG%, reb, ass were good.
    4) Ford and Amechi looked sharp in uniform. They didn't miss a single FG nor lost any TO ...

10. zong

zong Member

Yao, just too soft. I do not know if he could become strong. The next game may determine his furture in NBA.:eek:

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

not that there's anything wrong with that...

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thanks, that is helpful; you seem like a reasonable person. You are probably much younger than I am. I quess I am more of a basketball "purist," growing up on the Celtics, Showtime Lakers, Moses, Rudy, Calvin. Francis is definitely a "new era" player.

When he first came to the Rockets I was dazzled by two things; his insane athleticism and his shocking lack of fundamentals. Yes, he hustles and I appreciate that (Ming, take notice, are you awake?) but he consistently makes soooooo many mistakes. I really do hate to watch him. I always feel like (even when he scores 30 and is shooting the lights out) that something really dumb is about to happen.

I still say he is a small forward in a guard's body. He would be devasting around the basket with a sharp playmaker setting him up. But, too short. I agree that he is probably the best one on one player in the league right up there with Kobie and TMac, but I think he is one of the worst playmakers I have ever seen.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I did. My opinion of Francis as a player (not a person, I don't know him) has never changed. I was against him coming to the Rockets, and I was against the max. contract. An insanely good athelete (maybe one of the best I have ever seen) he has built his reputation of the highlight reels and the box score. He has always made many many fundamental mistakes.

Nothing has changed, except he seems to have slowed down a bit and has lost his shooting edge. Yes, he may be in a slump. I am evaluating his performance as a basketball player and nothing else. I have never been a fan of his. I don't kick people when they are down, I just try to call like I see it. When you make millions as a "professional" basketball player and talk alot of trash about how great you are, take it to the court.

14. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

speaking of the arm flailing routine- duncan has to be the master. i swear to god i've seen opposing players get a hand on the ball cleanly, but before the refs can call a jumpball he'll just throw his hands in the air and get the call. and most of the time its a delayed whistle.

"wait a sec. duncan just flailed. must be a foul..." tweeeet!!!

yao has to stop this apparent emulation- at least until he becomes more aggressive and can get the call. but i'm sure that wont happen until he gets stronger. <sigh>

15. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

btw, i remember yao having a big game last year against duncan and robinson but i wasnt able to watch it. anyone care to compare how he played in that game with this one? seems like yao isnt raising his game for the big matchups like he did early on last year...

16. aries323

aries323 Member

This game goes to show me that our Defense is where it needs to be, but our offense is still awful.

17. spydermex

spydermex Member

i hope it really was the rims

18. shawtydoowop

shawtydoowop Member

It's called drawin' a foul. And a large percentage of the time, when a player is aggressive to the basket or stays in attack mode, he will get the call.

19. ths balla

ths balla Member

Could the baskets be the reason for the poor shooting?

ROBERT HORRY
    On the baskets:
    "If you go out and look at the basket, it is terrible. The rims are terrible, they are tilted forward and they are supposed to be level. You'd think in a brand new building they would get the baskets right."

20. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

fellas fellas don't fret. its just one loss to the second best defensive team in the league. It was a good battle. But I must say I think I may of jinxed us by not getting you guys riled up like the last game thread against Detroit. So next saturday, I want all of the Yao-only who are infatuated with Yao and who is pushing Yao to be a great dominate success for the sake of their own pride and emotional securities, I want you to be present, and we can do that again, cause that was fun. what do you say? :D