1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Sonics @ Rockets 1/21/2008

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 20, 2008.

1. greensky421

greensky421 New Member

When he was there, the team collapsed during the whole game. :rolleyes:

So, after all, enjoy the win by the TEAM.

Hope they can make chemicals finally.

2. ThaBlackKnight

Yao played another great game as usual, but the outside shots were not falling today, so the Sonics focused on him in the 2nd half. Tmac is nowhere near 100 percent, but like Bill Worrell said, "Tmac on one leg is better than no Tmac at all." He is still a VERY talented player and a smart player as well. Plus he is the one guy who can get Yao the ball in the post without any problem. He shows you how talented he is, and why we cant just trade him for garbage. IF we were to trade for him, we need a very good player back in return. You don't find guys that are 6'8, with explosiveness, that can rise up and shoot over anybody, drive by you, and make smart passes, very often.

However, he's gonna have to adjust his game to more of a point forward, rather than a shooting guard, because he can still create for others, but he cant really score as easily on his own anymore. But you can see the difference with Tmac in the games in the 4th qtr, compared to when he wasn't there. You can't really double or front Tmac before he gets the ball, so we have that extra go-to guy again, instead of forcing it into Yao.

Landry is continuing to impress everybody. I think Adelman is just waiting for the right time and is gaining his trust in Landry before he uses him in the 4th qtr. Maybe not this year, but definetily by next year, Scola will be starting, and Landry will be his back up, and if we keep Hayes, he will fill Mutombo's role as Yao's backup for certain matchups or for very limited minutes. Sorry Chuckwagon, enjoy your starting spot while you can...

Bpnzi had a pretty decent offensive game, but got lit up on the defensive end. Battier continues to make the hustle plays that don't show up on the box score, but he has to get out of his shooting slump.

Aaron Brooks should've had more playing time today IMO, because Rafer was not shooting as well. Usually Luther would've gotten more minutes, but the Sonics shooting guards are all 6'8 or taller (Durant, Green, Szerbiak), so that was why he only got 5 minutes, but we could've used his shooting today.

Luis Scola showed us his value today. Even though he didn't have a single point, he made a great impact on the game. He took many charges, got many rebounds, hustled and dove to the floor for rebounds and loose balls, and made smart interior passes to Yao. He's a good all around player.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

^ Great analysis...

I can't wait to see a live game...2-0 ...

4. bronx43

bronx43 Member

10 game winning streak starting now.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Tmac is still the best player on Rockets if he plays within team concept and consistantly drives to the hoop. Hopefully he'll continue play that way after his knee is healed.

6. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Why is everyone saying this is an ugly win? I only ask because the Lakers barely beat the Sonics in overtime and everyone is acting like the Rockets should have blown them out. A win is a win.

7. rocketjim

rocketjim Member

After Landry scores 12 in the first half, why didn't Adelman continue playing him?! I agree Landry needs more minutes, especially in this game

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Adelman is wearing out his starters, his substitutions suck in the 2nd half lately.

DD

9. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Bah, once T-mac is back, Rafer reverts back to his suck form... why can't both of them be good at the same time. Then we'll have a decent backcourt.

And stop missing FTs!!!!

10. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Good win. I don't care how we win just win the damn game, and thats what we did so I'm not mad. Tracy looked a little better and Yao was doing his thing out there.

11. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Brooks and Head have been playing poorly lately. Head got off to a good start vs Spurs, but played poorly after the first quarter. Brooks has looked a bit lost out there and his shots arent falling. I think teams are realizing his speed and playing him a bit differently than earlier in the year.

Landry did come in during the 4th quarter and gave Yao a bit of rest early on. That hasnt been there until the last game or two, and hopefully it will keep Yao down in the 35 minute range instead of the 40 minute range.

Yao/Hayes starts the game/3rd quarter and first big in is Scola, 2nd is Landry, then Yao comes back in and Scola seems to stay in the rest of the half. Having Landry there also allows some leeway should Scola get into foul trouble.

With Sczerbiak at the 2 there wasnt a chance to play Rafer and Brooks together.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

t-mac didn't look like he was feeling great yesterday - it's something of grave concern. I don't think he's going to be much use for the rest of the season if he's in the kinda of pain he looks like he is in while playing.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

The litmus test for the playoffs run (if it occurs) begins in a few minutes. If the Rockets win the next four games, the optimism meter will definitely be on the rise. If they go 0-4, time to rethink the lofty predictions. If they go 2-2, .500 ball won't take you far. Let the games begin.

14. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Agree. I hope Mac and the staff know what they are doing. They are in no position to aggravate his injury (all of which will need just one knock and GG- there goes our season).

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Bummer, I thought the game was tonight.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i'm afraid of that too. but if he wants to get fully healthy with the knee, he has to stay out another 4-6 weeks, which means another 15-20 games, which means he'll just be back for mid-march to april and we might not be in the position to fight for a playoff spot.

tmac will ask to be out of the ASG. that means he'll have 5-6 days where he can rest and strengthen that knee even more.

but b/c of this, i think tmac will come off the bench LONGER than we think just so he does not put too much work on that knee.

we'll see. he has to play right now. if he didn't play last night, we probably would have blown another 4th quarter lead. but i'm content with him playing 25 mins a game to get his knee stronger.

the reporters claim he's at 75% right now. tmac will never be 100% this yr. we can only hope he'll be up to around 85-90% by march.

17. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Are you double_h03? I'd usually see like 10,000 posts per day from that guy, but lately he's been MIA. The way you write etc. kinda reminds me of him.

18. YugoRocketsFan

The 2nd half of the season begins, lets go Rockets!! Quest to 28-13