1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Warriors 5/20/2018 (Western Conference Finals, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 18, 2018.

1. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

It’s jist tough to understand why this team is so inconsistnet right now, up then down.

deb4rockets, Remlap and napalm06 like this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

They quit after the first half.

It’s all about the first quarter.

Sajan and whiskeyred like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If they let Draymond manhandle one more player without a repercussion, I'll have lost a core piece of respect for them. At least Ariza can get up and say something. Just wish someone would get up and DO something about it. That's how you ward off a bully.

Just aggravating how they are so inconsistent right now. I do believe they'll bounce back too, because they have every time. It's just maddening to watch them roll over for nothing.

everyday eddie and whiskeyred like this.
  4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Are they? Or have they mentally checked out already?

I can handle a series loss to the Warriors. Hell, I picked Golden State in 6. But what I can't stomach is the Rockets going down in flames because they didn't even try out there.

ramotadab and Crashlanded19 like this.
  5. macan

macan Member

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

All it is, is the snowball effect. When shots (especially open threes and layups) aren't falling, the team gets in a bad place mentally. That leads to no confidence and then not putting out the energy needed to contain the Warriors on defense. Then the Warriors start making ridiculous shots because of their high confidence and it's a feedback loop that continues. That's how a 40 point loss happens.

You just change some of the initial preconditions and it's a totally different game, as we saw with Game 2.

joshuaao and whiskeyred like this.
  7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Well, at least the media is forced to burn the "OMG IS CURRY HURT" narratives. Turns out he's just a streaky shooter right now. Obviously, we have very little chance to win Game 4 if he repeats the 3rd quarter. We're also screwed if we keep blowing layups.

The Rockets have responded all year after losses tremendously, especially in the playoffs. This is the ultimate test right here. Win a road game and it's a 3 game series with 2 games at Houston.

ramotadab, whiskeyred and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets had plenty of opportunities in the 1st half to make it closer or even be ahead at halftime. Unfortunately they let the Warriors impact their offense too much and weren't focused enough. Can't believe how many layups they missed.

And of course in the second half they just quit, flat out. Really hate to see that. Rockets have no margin for error against this team.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, I heard that - it was one of the most STUPID things he's ever said and he's said a ton of stupid over the years.

Zergling, adw and whiskeyred like this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah. His words were something like "if you're trying to be MVP you can't be in every type of Shaqtin a fool".

Personally I will never understand how former players can openly root for this team of smug showboating self important dancing sellout pricks.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. HillBoy

Curry finished 5/12 for threes. What I liked about his effort was that he kept at it - driving in for layups to keep his head in the game until his shots started falling again. THAT'S the key difference between him and Harden. When the going gets tough - when defenses clamp down on Harden and his shots aren't dropping Harden tends to slack off and fade away. That's just his personality - he's just not a killer on the court in the vein of an MJ or a LeBron. It is what it is.

Andy Sheets likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

I was at a wedding last night, what’d I miss?

13. HillBoy

Close. It's a lack of anticipation by the players and coaches. In Game 2, the Rockets exploited Curry mercilessly while Klay and the rest went ice cold from the field. Afterward, there were numerous articles in the media about Houston's strategy. What happened in Game 3 was that neither MDA, the coaches or the players anticipated the adjustments GS would make in game 3 - which in hindsight today - should have been anticipated. I'll be willing to bet that everyone here expected GS to come out and play like there was no tomorrow but it looked like the Rox coaches and players were caught completely by surprise.

saleem likes this.
  14. Remlap

Remlap Member

Seems that I recall we ran them up by 30 in Game 2, didn't we?
    Or has that game been erased from the record books? So what about 'the greats' again?
    But GS rebounded and punched us in the mouth in game 3.
    We have to do the same. If we don't come out swinging in Game 4, series is over.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. Rhettdream

Rhettdream New Member

This didn't age well.

16. Remlap

Remlap Member

Seemed like we were in control in the 1st Q.
    Then, the Warriors called a timeout, and when play resumed, the wheels fell off.
    They went on a tear. Refs started giving them calls, momentum totally shifted and
    we went sliding down the cliff the rest of the game

17. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Guess it’s time for Harden to go 48 minutes

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good old fashion pressure and nerves.

let's just say that the bride wasn't the only thing plowed last night.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

While that probably wouldn’t have helped last game, it is pretty incredible how coach just continued to let Harden rest on the bench while the game slipped away to a lead the rockets never recovered from. The game is basically lost with your best player sitting.

whiskeyred and adw like this.
  20. fiersdownbelow

Reggie Miller is an insufferable prejudiced cunt. A career loser who goes with the flow just thanking his lucky stars he has a day job in broadcasting.

adw likes this.