1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Timberwolves 2/4/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 3, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Roomba likes this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno how anyone can watch this game and complain about anything other than 3 point shooting. Defense was fine, great players will get hot (Anthony Edwards). But if the rockets are gonna shoot like this we won't beat many teams as everyone will just pack the paint to wall off Sengun and just dare us to shoot.

Team also missed some easy layups. Very winnable game if we could just hit some wide open shots.

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

It’s hard to develop 5 to 6 young players at a time, we need to choose our core and move. He need to keep our 2024 pick and trade the rest because Brooklyn will be a good team soon and those draft picks will be trash…we need to sell Brooklyn and Jalen…heck, I would even throw in Jabari for Mikal Bridges

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Its not about liking players, Sengun seems like a nice guy but fact is, he just does not matchup well against other players with length.

And this team needs that to be able to run and play defense

5. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Jalen said "there is no rhythm offensively"...and there isn't. Our offense is basically Sengun in the paint or Jalen and FVV firing up 3's from the top of the key...a shot you can get pretty much anytime in the shot clock. Worse, neither hit a good percentage...high volume, low success. And, no ..this is not a shot at them.... pass the ball more...wouldn't be a bad idea for Sengun to kick out to open shooters once in a while.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think trading Jalen, Jabari, and multiple picks for MIKAL BRIDGES would be a very prudent idea.

Also, while Brooklyn may or may not be a good team soon, it seems like we're on a better trajectory than they are and we will be better, sooner. Even with the core we have right now.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Antares

Antares Member

I think Sengun did that as he does usually... We need to talk about the shooting efficiecy for this night..

albuster likes this.
  8. ThinkBigRoc

ThinkBigRoc Member

Can the trade deadline hurry and pass so we can get the Rocket's heart and soul, (Tari), back. SMDH! The lack of intensity on these road games is shocking without Tari.

ramotadab likes this.
  9. Antares

Antares Member

Oh my... you forgot Tate who also wants to run... run baby...

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think Jabari needs more of a role in the offense. He is getting scraps/leftovers, so he is not able to catch a rhythm game in and game out.

You remember how he played in SL when he was being featured? Right now he isn’t getting his shots on a regular, so he is inconsistent

ramotadab, Sonicbun8 and AuburnRocket like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Whitmore is a ridiculously talented offensive player, but he's also a complete black hole, one of the worst I've ever seen. In the first half as soon as he got the ball you knew he was putting up a shot, regardless of whether it was good or not. One possession Jabari would have had a wide open 3 if Whitmore would have made one simple pass instead he shot over a man closing out.

Plenty of things to complain about in this game besides that, but it's such a seemingly correctable issue it really stuck out.

JW86, ramotadab, Nook and 7 others like this.
  12. AuburnRocket

That would be a really ill advised, chump trade IMO. BTW, there would be takers for either of these players. I'm not talking about a bag of potato chips takers either.

ramotadab and Roomba like this.
  13. ThinkBigRoc

ThinkBigRoc Member

I agree. Jalen as well. We need a new strength coach.

AuburnRocket likes this.
  14. Antares

Antares Member

There is one thing I personally believe in and would work just fine in the next coming years - either build around Jalen or build around Alpi.. There is no in between.. one of them has to be traded just for the sake of a team hierarcy & planning..

ramotadab likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

We need a player who specializes in movement shooting and catch-and-shoot opportunities. My view on this has solidified more and more over time. Fred and Dillon are only really knockdown shooters on stationary, open shots. Jabari might get there someday, but right now he can only move-and-shoot on midrangers. Jalen can't knock down any kind of three point shot consistently.

Our paint scoring is supplied by Sengun; initiating the offense is Fred, and in the future, Amen. We need a guy who can give us 20 points per game primarily on perimeter shooting off the ball. I'm absolutely convinced that's the key to unlocking the offense for the starting unit and everything else will follow.

The three guys I'm really thinking about right now are Lauri Markkanen, Tyler Herro, and Coby White, in order of preference.

Defense is another story, it's already okay but has room for improvement. I would like to see how we look with a really good defensive backup big man before doing anything else drastic to try to improve defensively.

albuster, ramotadab, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  16. Wizman

Wizman Member

He scored 15 on 7-14, with 10 rebounds. It’s not like he’s impotent against length, just not AS successful. If and when he develops an outside jumper, he will be a nightmare for those types as well.

albuster, ramotadab and Jags like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m ’bout to get this “Julio West is the Rockets Franchise Player” thread cookin

Haymitch likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Alpi does not struggle with length, he struggles with getting swarmed in the paint and having no good outlets to pass to. He can already beat any big man in the NBA 1-on-1 and he will only get better over time.

19. AuburnRocket

Like those 3 names....but, definitely on Lauri would cause us to give up way more than we should...would have to be a Godfather deal their way.

OremLK likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

True--I'm iffy on the price for Lauri. Also I think he could potentially fit with Jabari but there's definitely some overlap there.