1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Thunder - Vegas Summer League 7/11/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 11, 2023.

1. eman

eman Contributing Member

Really tickled with Hudgins's and Mayer's performances. Hinton has as much hustle-- which I've come to see, unfortunately, as a skill (rather than as a given)-- as anyone in the NBA. Hinton should be on the active roster just for his defense.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  2. MystikArkitect

It's wild to me how a real coaching staff can make players like Hudgins and Mayer look....good. Wonder what Green, KPj and Sengun are going to look like this year.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Yeah was super weird.
    As @J.R. intimated, fun police stormed in with the hair trigger…

daywalker02 and J.R. like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

6. Nook

Nook Member

Good thing he turned 19 years old like 3-4 days ago. He is the age of most kids who graduated high school in May… then at Villanova he was injured and had a terrible coach.

I have (and still am) critical of how he processes the game, he can be a black hole based on his past. However, it’s clear he has tried hard early to pass more.

I don’t think effort will be a problem for him, I don’t think he really has an attitude problem either.

I have concerns about whether he will ever process or pass well enough to be a high level starter - but he can shoot, he is a great athlete and is strong as a bull - I think a Corey Magette outcome is a very possible (40% outcome).

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To be fair, Jaylen Brown was averaging no more than 2.1 apg through his fourth season, stepping up to 3.5 apg in his last 3 seasons.

I like what I see from Whitmore so far. Yes, he has tunnel vision, but it's easy to forget the kid is so young.

8. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I feel like he's wearing it with such pride though. He missed the game against his bro and now they're on separate teams. For the first time? He prob legit misses him even though they're both still in Vegas . . . :p

9. Rockets4Life13

Despite the stats i think Whitmore looks great. I think he has high potential.

I also think it's amazing how well this summer league team is playing. A lot of those players were in the summer league team last year, right?

They looked like **** last year and this year they're balling.

Is it the Coaching staff that's the difference here?

Damion Laverne likes this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Maggette was a really bad 3p shooter though. I didn't mind Cam's turnovers when passing just like I didn't mind Jabari dribbling it off his foot during his drives last year. They have to learn somehow and they're both still super young.

Nook likes this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Was his girth to your liking as well sir?

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

:Crying emoji:

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Delete

#393 xtruroyaltyx, Jul 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

TBH, I havent seen much tunnel vision since his first game. His second game was pretty good all around.

In the third game I think he had some questionable shot selection without much ball movement or trying to get defense moving but 8 wouldnt consider that tunnel vision.

To me he showed a lot of tunnel vision in the first game and in college when he just put his head down and went to the basket and ignored open teammates or obvious passes.

I think in the second game and even the third game he was better about finding open teammates when he attacked the basket and didn't try to force shots against a defensive wall.
    So far it looks like players are doing things that make sense. Thats a big change.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Frankly, I like what I see from the kid. A LOT.
    When I was almost 19 I was preparing to enter the Navy. This dude is YOUNG, there really is no criticizing him, he's a complete steal from the draft. Unless those "possible medical issues" are actually something, and Stone is whistling his way through the graveyard, but on all that I have my doubts.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly-disguised double post