1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans Game Thread: Rockets @ Thunder 8/24/2020 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 4)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

HOW MANY F*CKING TIMES DOES A ROCKET FAN NEED TO BE TOLD WE DID NOT MISS 27 3S IN A ROW

GotGame15 and fckbandwagons like this.
  2. SORF

SORF Member

Well, at least the blazers received 12 fts as of now in the second quarter of their game...more than our entire game.

BTW: for the entire Houston/OKC series, Houston 70 free throw attempts. OKC,105 free throw attempts. That's an average of +8.75 attempts each game.

#1822 SORF, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    BigShasta, Nook and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  3. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Credit the Thunder defense.
    Thunder were also able to drive on every possession because they have 3 playmakers.
    Gordon isn't a playmaker, he is a shot maker (when he makes shots) and a good defender. But not a playmaker against a strong starting five.

The big problem here is that when RWB returns, our perimeter defense will take a hit. House has been a bright spot with occasional very costly lapses but hey, its the playoffs.

Also, small ball is very fatiguing which is why Kerr only adopted this strategy intermittently. They had a death lineup and only played them occasionally for a reason. The frequency of playoff games in the bubble is also a huge factor especially with JH running the entire show.

Still, we likely win the first round and although I hope that the Rockets defeat the Lakers, its Lebron James and Anthony Davis for heaven's sake. Hopefully we can win a couple of games against them

Pat likes this.
  4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I would have thought choking away a 3-0 series lead with missed free throws and bad decisions under a minute left would have been the wake up call the Rockets needed. Instead, the Rockets came out playing defense today like it was free run at an open gym. They had no intensity on that end of the court in the first half.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Thunder defense definitely deserves some credit, but there were at least two or three possessions in the fourth quarter where Harden was within five feet of the basket in the paint and opted to pass it out to an open shooter. The Rockets were ice cold from the three-point line by that point, too.

DeBeards and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You and me both. I thought it would wake them up too. With everything that has happened that coincides with why the league is where it is now should motivate our players to play with more care and discipline. Nah we still don't really care enough.

DeBeards, hakeem94 and DVauthrin like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Earlier tonight I made a text comment to someone in the Rockets think tank that whoever wins game 5, will win this series.

He immediately shot back that the Rockets are capable of winning two in a row if they lose game 5 or losing two games in a row. He said the numbers show this series is going 7 games.

However he also followed it up by saying that the larger numbers show the variance in the 2020 playoffs is greater than any season decades, possibly ever.

On a side note he told me that the Rockets cannot stop some of what OKC is doing this late in a series.

Deuce, DeBeards, BasketMAD and 7 others like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I never understand passing up a wide open close range 2 pt shot and kicking out to the 3 pt line.

I get that 3pt shot on average is more efficient. But not all 2s are the same. Some are open. Some are contested. Some are closer. Some are farther. They seem to have been brainwashed that any shot that is not a layup or a 3 must be a bad shot. When you pass up a close range shot, you don't even get the opportunity to draw a foul. Maybe they have stopped practicing all 2 pt shots. Now they have no confidence making them even if it used to be an easy shot.

9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

They could drive because they knew they were gonna get ALL the calls. Duh!

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Where in the F*** are my Rockets

@ Downtown sniper

bro2044 likes this.
  11. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I’ve seen this movie before, praying it has a new ending

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

only the Rockets could make 8 straight threes in the 3rd, and then miss 14 of 17 in the 4th

they’re always on fire, or ice cold, and it fluctuates from 1 quarter to the next...they’re rarely in between

DVauthrin, bro2044 and bleedroxred79 like this.
  13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

...and the Rockets lost by 3. Complete robbery by the refs and league. Its amazing how this happens every playoffs.

bro2044 likes this.
  14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is why austin rivers needs to get more time on the court. He is a better pg than eric is. I trust him with the ball more than eg. Eric is one of the most over rated players on this team. Let him come off the bench like he is supposed to.

bro2044 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Nook my guy, that doesnt instill confidence at all. I can't believe that they think this series is going to 7 WITH Westbrook.

What the hell did we even get this guy for man. I have to believe in him more than this.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  16. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Maybe they settled for launching 58 3's cuz the refs mysteriously don't see the Rockets getting hacked at the rim? At least if you attempt a 3, you dont get hacked.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really, when that's the rockets game plan every single game. all is well when they're hitting, then people start looking for gimmick excuses when they go cold like they always do at some point in stretches. Rockets were up nearly 20 pts coming out the half. They beat themselves with dumb mistakes, poor decisions, and undisciplined play. drive and kicks aren't getting you to the line. at some point you're going to have to stop relying on that play and get to the line or be able to finish for a 2

DVauthrin, Pat, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Touche. Although, they did make 23 of those attempts. Biggest difference in this game really came down to the refs letting the Rockets get hammered with no whistle. Even then, Rockets just needed a couple of stops down the stretch and didnt get it.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Because we don't adjust... they adjust to us.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

so the refs were responsible for poor passes out of bounds and missed open 3's .14 out of last 17 to be exact after being up like 15 coming out of the 2nd half.

nah that's just typical rockets basketball to close out games at times