1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Suns 2/16/2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Ditto! It was classic. Makes you remember this was only one game. A God-forsaken, ball-less game to be sure, but only 48 minutes. There will be more triumphs and tragedies.

2. qpx

qpx Contributing Member

After this game, the all star game is the chicken bone for me.
    I will not watch any thing about the all star game. TMac and Yao should be out of the all star game to save the face.

3. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

If we come out after the break and win 4 or 5 in a row, you'll regret not watching it. i know i'll be watching. i have a test at 8 am in the morning and i watched every second of this "disaster" b/c im going to be there for our team through thick and thin.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is only the second game of the season I didn't get to watch, and I'm thinking I was pretty damned lucky to miss it. Thank you, girlfriend.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Some of you guys complaing about JVG not calling a timeout when Swift hurt his ankle. You do you realize that you can't call a timeout when the other team has possession, right?

As for the game, I think we got off to a terrible start largely because of Yao Ming's ineffectiveness defensively and offensively against the Suns. And when Stromile came in for Yao and we went small to try to match up with the Suns, we tried to match their style of play when we're extremely ill equipped to do so. Oh, and McGrady played like crap again. Lethargic on offense and with transition D.

A lot of people will talk about a lack of "passion" and "effort" of our guys. To some extent, sure that's the case. But, honestly, we probably would have gotten our butt kicked regardless. The Phoenix Suns had an awesome game plan, they executed it flawlessly, and we had no answers.

#565 durvasa, Feb 16, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So Swift hurts his ankle? If he was on the block, that's gone up in smoke.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i think it's funny how jvg apparently had little to nothing to do with us winning by 30 but absolutely everything to do with us losing by thirty.

there's blame to go all around after tonight but players are equally accountable.

8. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

I was angry when we were down by 10-20, at 30 I was in awe of the Suns offense, at 45, I was hoping for 65. If you're going to lose big, might as well break all records in the process. This game makes me realize we're not there yet. CD needs to be pulling a few all nighters the next couple of days.

9. hangxy

hangxy Member

That means our coach sucks.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Steve Nash has the be the MVP this year again. That dude makes average players like Boris Diaw and Raja Bells look real good. I also saw that Chuck had another nice game. Hopefully the idiot coach starts playing him instead of that scrub Howard.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Damn, Damn Damn!!! What the hell happened?

12. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

they didnt really beat anyone....i could of been on the bench and we would of still beaten the knicks... :D

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Rockets played pretty poorly, and i think the suns shot even a little better then normal.

i think the suns were also trying to make a statement this game.

you know its pretty crazy a team could be this good with what could possibly be a all nba 1st team player injured. :eek:

14. jlwee

jlwee Member

JVG 's offense is simple:-

(1) Dumb the ball to yao while in low post....
    If fronted or doubled... goto the second option....

(2) Put the ball in T-mac's hands and let him create....
    If T-mac is doubled or in terrible shootin slump.... goto the next option...

(3) Pray to the Lord, Jesus, Holy Mary etc etc that the opposite team will went cold...

AMEN.

15. waterflea

waterflea Member

Tracy's shooting% is tanking under 40% pretty soon.
    Other stars with 20+ attempts like LBJ, kobe and AI increase their shooting% quite a lot this season, while Tracy is the only tanking stock. :(

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I know, I actually watched the game. :( I was saying what happened to the team we saw the other night versus the Clippers. Oh well...

17. terse

terse Member

I agree, JVG should have seen it coming a long ways off. Hell, I saw it coming. But JVG won't change. He thinks he has a Perfect System that can overwhelm any team any time. Since that is so (in his mind at least), why would he need to change it? Why would he need a Plan B? Any adjustment during a game would only mar the perfection of his one and only game plan.

Last season, when JVG said that he wanted his team to play the same way game after game, implying that the style of the other team is unimportant, I was aghast. This season has offered ample evidence that JVG meant what he said. Which is why I want him out of here. Let him impose his robotic game plan elsewhere.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

JVG gets outcoached...again...

I used to say as long as Rockets have Juwan Howard as their starting PF, they are not going anywhere.

Now I will keep saying, as long as Rockets have Juwon Howard as their starting PF, and are coached by JVG, they are not going anywhere.

My high coach has better offensive schemes than JVG does. Dump the ball to Yao or err...give the ball to Tmac and spot up.... or...pick or roll or do something. Cut to the basket?? What the hell is cutting to basket?!?!

*Laugh* @ JVG.

19. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

[​IMG]

Clutch, this is for you...

Thought it would be the best contrary of your last headline, "Laugher in LA"... :(

20. nyeager

nyeager New Member

So I'm living near Phoenix now, and just got back from the dreadful display at _____ ____ Arena there. Horrible game, as surely the 500+ comments have already noted.

I was originally seated up in the upper deck, and thank goodness I only paid upper deck prices. After halftime, we (my cousin, two Suns fans and I) made our way down to the seats behind the Rockets bench.

Obviously it was the worst Rockets game since that one against Portland about three years ago when we shot 2_%. Had it not been for Patrick Ewing, the game would've been a total waste. I'll get into that in a minute.

Understanding that the Rockets were playing like JV girls in the first quarter, I'm still curious why Ryan Bowen gets up off of the bench before Chuck Hayes. Now that I think about it, why does Stromile Swift get up before Chuck Hayes? Stromile can make some of the most amazing dunks since Dominique. He can also blow some of the easiest layups since Susan Grady. Who is she? I don't know either.

Was Chuck Hayes the difference tonight? Naw man, they beat us 50 points. Was it ridiculous that Yao barely played in the first half (or second half)? Yeah. Is that why we lost. Nope. We lost because the Suns started the game by making a dozen shots and they never stopped drilling them. That, and the fact that we sucked; no defense whatsoever. Still, I wanted more Yao. Tracy was looking sharp early, but we started playing the JV team in search of some mythical 'spark'.

I looked at the box score later, and both Yao and Tracy had almost 30 minutes. But how many minutes did they play together? Maybe 12. It was a horrible game all around, and the fact is that JVG looked like a coach that was ready to be fired. Which is too bad, because a) there's not a better candidate around and b) well, there's no 'b'. So read 'a' again. But anyone who plays Ryan Bowen above Chuck Harris is asking to get canned.

Back to Patrick Ewing. I've never seen a coach so blatently staring at the other team's cheerleaders. It was downright embarassing. Had it only happened once twice or three times, I might've forgotten about it. Indeed, there was much tonight that was worth forgetting. But the guy had a shorter attention span than the 12-year old on sweat-mopping duty.

Best part of the night was calling him out on it. Here I teamed up with a Suns fan {sorry}

Me: "Hey Ewing, quit staring at the cheerleaders and grab a pen!"
    {Ewing: surprised someone noticed}
    Suns fan: Olajuwon was never staring at cheerleaders!
    Me: That's why he's got the rings baby!

Ewing then turns around and glares directly at me for a solid 30 seconds. Since there are about 1400 people in the whole arena at this point, he knows exactly who's giving him 'trouble'. I just stared right back at him, and eventually shrugged my shoulders. He looked away and reacquainted himself with the Arizona blondes.

"And Tracy and Yao are gonna win some rings too!" I yelled. Then I realized the score. "But not tonight. Starting in the second half!"

At this point, Tracy and Yao actually exchanged a chuckle. This made my night. I really love those guys, and Wesley, Howard, Alston, Hayes and Mutumbo. And Barry and Sura when they play. I like Head too (who doesn't?!)

What I don't care for are the Knicks on the bench. Or Stromile. And I'm tiring of Bowen, unless he's the 12th man.

Of course, losing by 83 points isn't the result of an underachieving center doing a poor job coaching. And it didn't happen because Stromile can't make any shot on the court beside dunks. It happened because it happened. Because the season is 82 games. Because if I just shagged a hot Finnish girl (don't ask how that happened, and be assured she wasn't found at the game), then anything can happen.

Fact is, that the we can't give away too many more games like this. The core is there. And I really think it's great that we're beating the inferior teams; nothing's worse than losing to teams with less talent. But if we're going to make it to the playoffs with our current record, then we really have to prove that we belong. The only way to prove we belong is to beat the good teams. And to keep on beating the crappy teams. Here's to the beginning of a giant run in the Second Half.

Cheers to all; I wrote this in 12 minutes flat. Back to the Finnish girl!

N