1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Sixers 12/10/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

Why Golden States do that?

2. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

im trying real hard to think of the last time it's been this bad as a rockets fan ... even bill worrell was sayin how embarrassing it was. i mean, it was embarrassing for all of us to watch ... so much so, that i had to stop watching ... and I pretty much watch every minute of every game. but not today. i left in the middle of the 3rd.

I dont know what to say. Everyone on this thread has already expressed their disappointment, anger, etc. I don't know an easy solution to this problem ... I don't want to give up and say "trade tmac or yao" but I must admit ... with every game I see one of those two or both (as in tonight's game) have invisible games, I can't stand it. When Tmac pulled himself out, it brought back memories of that game 7 loss last year when I read his body language to read that given up type of feeling.

I want to see a fiery, angry, urgent, hungry Rockets on wednesday ... Honestly I want to see our 2 stars not to smile once. Enough with the fun and games. all this losing better be getting through to them. Everyone is sick of this starting games with a "calm" demeanor. We want to see that old "heart of a champion" again. Play with some freakin urgency Rockets!

3. Fuse

Fuse Member

I hear you. I turned off the game until the bench started playing the latter parts of the third quarter. I knew that at least they will play with some competitive fire out there. It was extremely embarrasing. I'm starting to think that I would much rather see stevie dribbling out the shot clock trying, then watch our starters tonight.

I don't think anybody has alluded to this... but so much for Battier being the glue guy. He had absolutely no influence on the team's demeanor what so ever.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I'm not buying it. There's wayyyy too much talent on this team for them to be this bad. This isn't the Knicks we're talking about, Isiah isn't our coach. Rick is a good coach -- he has a track record to prove it. Tracy McGrady has shown THIS season that he is still capable of taking over games and scoring at will or making plays. We all know who Yao Ming is. Bonzi is still a uniquely talented player in his own right. Luis Scola has his credentials. Our bench is supposed to be one of the deepest in the league.

I know it's been a long time since Rafer last missed a game, but is his presence on the court so vital to this team that they turn into the Timberwolves every time they step on the court? (And that's probably a slight to the Wolves -- even though they suck, at least they still try to compete every night.) I knew and expected them to have growing pains, but ... this is a new low. Still, I don't believe this team is as bad as it looks. Maybe they had to hit bottom before they could find themselves again. Hopefully this is that bottom.

I intimated sometime earlier in the season that Rick Adelman's laid back coaching style was a problem. He can't just watch them while they fall apart and then call timeouts at opportune times -- not while they're trying to learn a new system. He has to do some hands-on coaching. This team is not used to this. There's a reason why fans are now crying for JVG to return -- back in the day, JVG would bench all five starters at once just to make a point, and his message would be heard loud and clear.

Speaking of starters, back to Rafer Alston. As over-magnified as his shooting woes are (and he was particularly horrible earlier in the season), could it be that the biggest thing the Rockets are missing without him now is his leadership? He has always been a calming force on the floor -- breaking up pressure defense, stabilizing the offense, calling plays, and regardless of his statistical performance, always competing hard on both ends of the court. He is the best defender at PG and has been good on help defense as well. This season he has shown an increased willingness to penetrate, take the ball to the basket and either finish or dish (IIRC, his 2pt fg% is up to about 45%). He is *still* one of the team leaders in +/- despite the coaching change.

Maybe this team is missing its leader after all. We already know that Rafer will always be a subpar point guard whose streaky shooting can doom the team at any point in time. Have we underestimated Rafer's intangibles?

5. Big Puma

Big Puma Member

This is a blessing in disguise.

Now we're officially off the radar. The national media will write us off, calling us a failure. The expectations have dropped significantly, from the media, and the fans.

This gives the team an opportunity to actually learn the system with far less pressure. If we lose some more games, it's OK because this season was a "disaster".

Once everyone figures out what they're supposed to do, we'll magically start winning, enough to get a 6 or 7 seed.

That's another blessing in disguise, our record won't be good enough to get a 4 seed, which is a good thing. 4/5 matchups have been killing us the last 2 playoff appearances.

Now, if we get a 6/7 seed, and we get to play the Nuggets (division winner) or Spurs, we'd actually get past the first round because we matchup well with them. So then a mediocre year actually turns into a great year because of fortune.

If we got into another 4/5 grudge match with the Jazz or Mavs, it could be another one and out.

6. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Rick Adelman experiment has been a disaster!!! He is a laid back coach complementing 2 laid back superstars! JVG had some fire, and it's def showing right now. 2 solutions: trade one of the superstars, or trade a handful of roleplayers to get a RA type team with more guys who can score and create their own shot

7. Red1

Red1 Member

WOW! Being a rookie on this board ive held back my opinions on all the "trade" (which happens to often)talks when a player has a sup par/terrible game...but, if you seriously think Yao or Tracy is going any where, your having about the same amount of mental problems as the Rockets are at this point in time.

The things that im seeing on the court are just lack of consistency and confidence. The lack of confidence in the system RA is running,The sense of every game is a must win. I just feel like we cant get this TEAM all on the same page at the same time. We beat the Suns in there house, and then we get killed by a team we beat by 50 points just last season. To say that Ricks new offense that he has brought to the team has hamperd or D to the point were it looks like were not actually playing any is just dumb. Its all a learning process,granted these are Pro players...who are we really to say how long it should take them to grasp the concept....maybe its after the all-star break, maybe its after this season, who knows. We as fans should only hope that the team puts forth 100% of the effort needed to win games in this league(which was in serious question tonight)

As far Mac goes, his skills as a player i will never doubt, he is a top 5 player in the L hands down...But you cant teach heart and desire, That type of stuff comes from within. He is very passavie when the chips dont fall where he would like them to. On the other hand you cant have your cake and eat it to. So all the McGrady haters need to deal with it, he just dosent have that go for the jugular type of mind set. How good would we be with out him on our team? Not Good enough to have the sup-par record (by our standards at least )that we have this year. Our team is only as strong as our weakest link, and thats our confidence and consistency.

8. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

NOW Really be accustomed to be frustrated!!
    sigh!!!!!!!

9. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

How quickly the mood changed - in a span of 1.5 games (starting 2nd half of Raptors game). If the team can just delete the horrible game and a half, they are not that bad, the 1st half of the Raptors game was actually great.

Hopefully, the effort shown by the bench in the 4th quarter builds some positive momentum for the next game.

10. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Two words: Rick Idleman

11. supergokuken

supergokuken Rookie

12. kwng

kwng Member

Judging from the last two games, players including Yao and TMac need
    take a break since they have lost their intensity or will to win (no hunger).
    I hope Adelman will call AB back from NBDL and start AB, Bonzi, Synder, Head and Scola. Last night these players play with better will to win or hunger than the starters. Talent means nothing if you do not have the hunger to win.
    The "normal" starters can come in to court as sub and if they are still not hungry or bricking, bench them again.

13. kwng

kwng Member

No trading required yet cause we will not get anything worth or equivalent
    at this moment.

14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

This is beyond frustration.

15. agpal77

agpal77 Rookie

JVG IS THE LEADER AND HEART OF THE ROCKETS LAST SEASON! HE MADE THIS TEAM OVERACHIEVE LAST YEAR. NOBODY IN THE CURRENT TEAM HAS THE HEART AND LEADERSHIP OF GUNDY!! :p

16. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

damn...it took only 22 games before you guys realized JVG was an awsome coach....
    where are all of the people who were bashing JVG and his style of play??...
    me and a few others supported JVG whereas the rest of you bashed him till he got fired....
    I hope we turn it around but Adelman's laid back style isn't working with these players...

17. bronx43

bronx43 Member

Dreammvp, these ingrates who called for the coach who brought the team to a 52 win season are partly responsible for this disgrace. I've always defended JVG, and felt that he is the best coach for this team.

18. Bob Monkeyson

Bob Monkeyson Member

I'm not sure how to make it so that the youtube video shows up in this post, but I felt like watching a random game highlights from last year, and I chose this one. Now I know that the highlights are just all of the good stuff that happened in the game but look at the all around game performance, Yao was being dominant, t-mac was going inside more, luther and RAFER were making 3's,shane doing his usual stuff, even Juwan made some jumpers and a tip in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEkHMUXhfsk

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

*sigh* back when we used to be a good team. :)

20. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I didn't even bother watching this game or follow it..........and I turn my head for one second and we lose to the damn SIXERS! wtf!?!! P33<<<<<<<<<<3333 bleep bleep f**k wt hell happened?

AND Tmac gets injured?!?