1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Pelicans 2/22/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 19, 2024.

1. maypk

maypk Member

He got abused by Zion last year and in the first game against the Pelicans this season. Jabari Smith is not a good defensive player. Not yet anyway.

2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Let's see how Ime turns Cam from finisher into playmaker. Lol

3. WestendMassive

Abdulfattah has coached the Sydney Kings from champs last year to scraping into the play-in this year. Not sure he's the answer

4. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He holds up against Zion better than Dillion .. we don’t have anyone with enough weight in pants…

don grahamleone and AuburnRocket like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Among all qualified players, Jalen now has the third-worst FG% and the third-worst 3P% (min. 2 three point attempts per game) while being a below-average playmaker for his position and a below-average defensive player by every metric I can find.

I don't know, it just feels pretty over. Should have traded him for whatever we could get at the deadline.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Evan Mobley, the 7ft shot blocking beast that almost won DPOY in his second year, can play the 5 lmao. This is 2024, not 2004. The only reason why he plays the 4 is because they have another big man (one that we traded away:rolleyes:) who, when paired with Mobley, creates one of the scariest Twin Tower duo’s in recent history.

A duo that the Rockets could’ve very easily had if they had made the right (OBVIOUS) choice in the draft, and if they hadn’t given away Allen for free before he ever played a game for us.

7. conquistador#11

the final numbers before the 'real center' in Jonas checked out. 6 of 9 on Sengun for 14 points. Alperen on Jonas, 6 of 9 for 13 points and 2 missed free throws.
    Meanwhile, Sengun also switched and defended Zion to four misses on 5 shots including 2 airballs where Jonas cleaned up.
    I also have Stefon Urkel throwing in a floater on the switch from Jonas to Urkel.

Sengun should have the second highest defensive rating for the night, 110 maybe.
    Amen/ Sengun followed by Brooks.

Jabari I thought did well. Moved his feet stayed with the defender but the shots went in for Jones or Urkel.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Once again more FVV means more stalled offense. He isn’t an efficient paint scorer or good off the dribble. Brooks and Jabari can’t get to the paint to create open looks and get the defense to react. It’s too easy. Teams just sag their wings and corners and crowd Sengun or they take away Jalen on the wings with a double team. Because there’s no one that can create on this team and opponents know this

gfab-babyboi and AuburnRocket like this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Look I've never been all-in on Sengun, and I still don't know whether he will be more of a decent all-star or make it to the next level and become a "real" franchise player (whatever the f*** that means).

But it's absolutely astonishing to me that we have a player taking the most shots on the team tonight (14) and shooting 21% from the field while playing matador defense

Jalen Green

And somehow the real problem is the guy who went 6 for 9 with 20 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 assists

Really? Really? That's what we're going to argue about? That's our most pressing problem right now?!

10. Nook

Nook Member

He is a center. He plays PF because they got Allen as a gift from the Rockets… wow I just realized the Rockets basically gave the Cavs their front court with Mobley and Allen.

j@amc likes this.
  11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Did you say a salad display? :eek:

DeBeards and OremLK like this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Teams adjusted by making more shots primarily.

A large part of the Rockets success in November and December occurred because teams were shooting horribly against them from 3. Like barely 31-33%, among the best (luckiest) marks in the league.

Those numbers then normalized in Jan and Feb

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Part of it but not all of it. Seems Rockets intensity on defense just not there as it was first couple months. But to me biggest adjustment is how teams play Sengun off the PNR. They play tighter preventing him from getting that short roll dribble to the basket.

14. PeppermintCandy

I had expected Uncle Jeff to come out of the ASB refreshed and give a much-needed frontcourt boost to the Rockets. Alas, it was not to be. :(

Here's hoping they can shake off their rust and get a win tomorrow night.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well, that was special.

16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Was excited for basketball to return tonight only to watch the Rockets play like absolute crap. No life or sense of urgency just par for the course.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards, ramotadab and sirjesse like this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Like I said, more of the same.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  19. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Did anyoneshoot
    60% on only 5 shots …and 2 of 2 from 3….but,hey we have guys that can really jack up the shots…can’t make ,em but sure know how to put ,em up.

Sonicbun8 and roslolian like this.
  20. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Oh yeah,,that,ll really work I’m sure of it.

Moe likes this.