1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Pacers 1/23/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 22, 2004.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

It was a call that they had to make. O'Neal was being very aggressive each time down the court, made a nice move, and Yao moved in on him. If Yao had just kept his arms up and held his spot, it would have been a no call.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

ehh, if it had just been some random dude and some random team i was watching, i would've thought it was a foul 10 times out of 10. there wasn't much contact for sure, but o'neal's shot came up like a foot short so the refs kind of had to call it. now his 4th foul, that was crap.

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

*tried posting this in Almu's thread but apparently it got closed*

biggest win of the season.

rockets needed to win a game like this.... physical, down to the wire, under pressure agaisnt the hottest team in the league in their own house.

awesome win.

i'm goin out and gettin drunk!

4. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

5. ahbuchen

ahbuchen Member

Nice. Please keep watching TV in the living toom. ;)

6. gasnapalm

gasnapalm Member

the pacers are arguibly the best team in the NBA. They were undefeated against the west in their arena. And I agree it took yao 15 shots wednesday to score 29 and it takes J O'neal 25 shots to score 31 points C"MON YAO HOG THE BALL

7. Jonesy

Jonesy New Member

3 observations about this game.

1) Easily the poorest officiating I've seen all season, which fortunately was spread out across both teams.

2) Big cliche but this team simply won't be "afraid" of anyone, anywhere the rest of the season because no matter how hard it is to find a way to score on any given night, they are always, always be in a position to win (within reason) because of their defense.

3) Larry Bird is one of the ugliest human beings on the face of the earth. Truly painful to look at. They...just...kept...showing him.

8. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

If Weatherspoon didn't miss the second last FT, Rox would have won by 5. Big win for Rox.

9. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Ever since that loss to Boston at home, we have been playing great. Blowing out teams when we should and taking one from the best team in the East at their homecourt.

Wow. The Rox have arrived.

10. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

Orlando :)

What a huge win! We were still able to pull out even with all those stupid calls on us! Loooks like the Rockets are in the midst of a turning point :)

11. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

We should be able to pull of wins in ORL and MIA improving our record to 27-17 hopefully.

12. Charvo

Charvo Member

I like the fact that a lot of the Rocket players contributed to the win. I think the fact that Jermaine Oneal was used so much during the game maybe led to the Pacers' problems in the final seconds. Once Van Gundy doubled Jermaine Oneal, it basically screwed with Carlisle's play because it didn't look like there was an alternative to pass to. He jacked up a 3 pointer. I think Van Gundy is a badass defensive coach. Sometimes he is very inflexible on offense, but he is very quick on changing defensive strategies to fit the situation.

13. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

Weatherspoon is just a bunch of blob

14. Houstone

Houstone Member

Woo hoo!

What a win! :D :D

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i agree. i people think that was a bad call, they should have seen the call against chauncey in the det/minny game. absolutely horrendous.

still not sure why he was in the game in the last 7 or 8 minutes instead of padgett. :confused:

#195 OmegaSupreme, Jan 23, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  16. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

exactly!!!!!!! you'd think he'd come in after yao fouled out. he hasn't been on the courts in a while and jeff puts him out during a crucial time?? oh well, we win. he's still a big blob. i miss braggs now :(

17. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

That's exactly what my friend and I talked about during the game. Yao needs to take more shots but with the defense collapsing on him, it is a tough task.

In the game against the Knicks, Yao was single-covered most of the time and he got a lot of open looks. Tonight, Yao drew a crowd everywhere he went. Since Yao rarely forces his shots, he will never take 25 shots with double coverage on him all the time.

18. lalala902102001

Great win!!

Spoon scored his first point as a Rocket that won us the game!! :D

19. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

*********exactly!!!!!!! you'd think padgett'd come in after yao fouled out. spoon hasn't been on the courts in a while and jeff puts him out during a crucial time?? oh well, we win. he's still a big blob. i miss braggs now :(

20. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

exactly how many other teams have beaten Indiana at home this year????? ;)

What a HUGE win!!!!