1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 4/25/2005 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 24, 2005.

1. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

thank you. thank you, Mr. Mooch.
    Another classic call from Gene & Jim ("Holy crying out loud, Gene"). lol.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

The one thing I love about our dynamic duo over kobe/shaq is that late in the game you don't have to shy away from Yao like you do shaq because of his FT shooting. I know yao had that one stretch where it seemed Yao was missing clutch FT's but he's found his rhythm and confidence more and more. We are a truly double edged sword late in the game.

Let's keep the ball rolling guys. I hope this is just an appetizer to the feast we will be having.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

speaking of free throw shooting:

Allas 19-26
    Houston 24-27

ballgame

big respect for JVG staying humble, quoting"Clutch City" as motivation...

WE came back from a 2-0 deficit for the name clutch city, this is Houstons time to shine!!!

THIS IS WHY I JOINED THIS MESSAGE BOARD FOUR YEARS AGO

THIS IS WHAT HAS BEEN MISSING IN HOUSTON FOR 8 YEARS

Clutchcity, BELIEVE!!!!

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston's kung fu is strong.

Dallas' kung fu is not strong.

5. qrui

qrui Member

wow! what a game! blew me away and made me sleepless, well almost. i still feel the rush and see flashbacks of last night game. wow!

now 2 down 2 to go! keep it rolling guys! go rockets!!!

6. qrui

qrui Member

Dampier: "I'm the best Center in the west!"
    Yao: "I don't know about the west... I think I'm just better than you.":D :D :D

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just browsed at mavALLtalk

they arguing who to blame AJ, Dirk, Finley, or KVH

don't even credit the rox

here's their strategy next game

9. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3153675

Yao and fouls

After citing improvements Yao Ming and the Rockets made to keep Yao out of foul trouble, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy returned to the familiar topic of how Yao is officiated.

"Certainly, Yao at times has been frustrated by the calls - as have I - that he's gotten," Van Gundy said. "I think he's been put at a competitive disadvantage because of his size. There's no one else of his size that plays regularly. It's been a year-long thing.

"That's not complaining or gamesmanship. It's been a season-long (issue). When you go up in the restricted area, you're supposed to be able to jump straight up. His last foul (Saturday), on ( Dirk) Nowitzki, the referee says he's coming forward. You look at the film, he's directly vertical. You look at his post defense versus the guys defending him throughout the season. It's been difficult."

Yao said he is not sure what the officials want him to do in the restricted area.

"I remember early in the season, I tried to (draw) a charge," Yao said. "I stayed on the ground and put my hands up and they said 'You have to jump.' I jump and they still call a foul and don't give me a reason. I say, 'All right, just find a way to stop the ball going to the hole.' "

------------------------------------------

That's an interesting quote. It seems JVG asks Yao to jump up straight and challenge the shots even in the restricted area. Our perception is that Yao should stay on the ground. So who's right? I just hope the refs can make the call consistently.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yeah, please guys. For we who ain't in the city

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

TMac, TMac, TMac. It is unbelievable that we were able to trade for him.
    It was like getting Jordan in a trade during his prime.

This is incredilble. They are playing like a championship team. They remind me of a defending championship team, down a player or two to injury who shouldn't be contending, but will only go down in a close series to a truly loaded team that is at the very top of their game. If they don't run into that team, they might just limp on through to the title. Amazing.

Ryan Bowen as power forward! Amazing!

12. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

MavsFan4113

Member # 1583

Member Rated:
    posted April 26, 2005 07:07 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I were coach, I would get somebody I'm not playing, maybe Quis, and have him pummel T-Mac. Then I would take Hendu out and have him pummel Sura.

--------------------
    Do you find me sadistic?

What a bunch of whiners these Mavs fans. Take out opposing players? Yeah, grat sportsmanship. Besides, Marquis Daniels would never do that, he and tracy are best friends. they train together

13. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Do you think the Mavericks can win their series with the Rockets?

You voted for "No: Mavericks don't seem to have the answer."

Change your vote.

Answer Total
    (805 votes) Percent
    No: Mavericks don't seem to have the answer 560 69.57%
    Maybe: Close game a sign Mavs are gaining 90 11.18%
    Yes: Mavs are capable of winning four of five 155 19.25%

This is poll on the Dallas Morning News. Its a sad day when your own fans dont have faith in you anymore...

I love being the underdog!

14. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

The closing minute of the game, they should have pulled KVH. He wanted nothing to do with the ball and turned it over at the most crucial time.

This game is on Avery for not having the right guys at the right time.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm so excited I don't even know where to start.

Heart of a champion...nuclear ants that won't be eliminated....grit. This team reminds me soooo much of those championship teams. Persevering through tough stretches and coming out on top. And I love that, because I would love for that to be the stamp of this franchise from era to era.

How long has it been since you've really felt this way?? Since you're really LOVED the guys on the team. Not just rooted for them because they had Houston on their jerseys...but because you could identify with them. Because you were inspired by them. How long has it been? Way too freaking long. But that seems like ancient history now.

Yao freaking Ming. He showed up BIG TIME!!! 13/44 for 33 points!!!??? :eek: Are you serious??

Tracy McGrady. Wow. As glynch said above, this is a Jordanesque player in his prime. He has taken his game to an entirely different level.

Sura flashing the 3. How money was that??? Barry & Mike James putting in points.

Seriously...just amazing.

Clutch City is back!!! HOW SWEET IT IS!!!

16. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Haven't waded through this thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned, but ...

Did the last 2.2 seconds seem like about 6 to anyone else? I think the Mavs scoreboard operators were trying to pull a fast one.

Too bad for them Finley blew it! :D

17. MadMax

in all honestly, though...in fairness...the Mavs have done nothing to show you they can control a game against the Rocks. nothing. nothing at home. they've really outplayed Houston all of a sum total of one quarter. that's it. there's nothing to point to where you can say, "this is how you beat Houston!"

that's not to say they're not capable of winning a game or two. they certainly are. but i wouldn't bet on it.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah and I loved the way that JVG and the rox did not panic when Josh Howard was scoring on Yao Ming and they we're down 8 pts.. JVG and rox kept their poise and sticked to their game plan..

on the post game interviews, I haven't seen tmac this happy for a while.. but time to focus on closing this..

19. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

That's what Kenny Smith said on the postgame last night when Ernie asked him about the Rox winning a series against the Suns after losing the first 2 at home.

Kenny said the difference as that we had 20 point leads on the Suns in both games, so Rudy T could show them on film what they had to do specifically to win (i.e. if you get the ball to this spot, we always score).

There's nothing that Avery can show them on film that they're doing to be sure of winning the next game. Thus, Stackhouse's quotes in the Blinebury article about "hoping" the Rox fail to execute.

If I was a Mavs fan, a game plan around hope wouldn't inspire much confidence in me.

20. MadMax

Particularly when you just shot around 70% from the 3point stripe, and it wasn't good enough.