1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 11/28/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 27, 2023.

1. OpportunityCost

Ime have them playing harder but it's on him too to put them in better positions on offense to score - so he needs to get better there. Jabari was impressive. I think once he knocked down a few shots he thought he was back at Auburn, he seemed confident, way to go.

Refs were an absolute mockery of the referee system.

Jalen is inconsistent. He needs to get stronger b/c he always gets knocked off course by the defender when he's driving to basket (of course if he was Luka those would be called fouls). If he's not shooting well, I wish they would post him up and have him try that.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

100% and those intangibles and winning type attributes are rubbing off a ton on the young guys who are learning how to contribute to winning in other ways.

Their value to this teams growth is unreal.

HD729 and daywalker02 like this.
  3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Actually I think JG's much quicker than Kobe, it's just that he can't do anywhere near as much when he gets separation.
    Same with body control.

Why they are POLAR OPPOSITES is the maniacal drive Kobe had to work on not only expanding his game but also improving his weaknesses!
    This is year 3 for Jalen.
    His handle has gotten a little better from his rookie year (it was REALLY bad) and his finishing is slightly better as well but nowhere near the degree he needs to reach star level, much less superstar level.

I'm trying to remember who (John Wooden maybe) said that "everyone wants to win but NOT everyone wants to prepare CORRECTLY to win"!
    By all account Jalen is a hard worker but I just don't think he's been practicing the RIGHT things enough to make the jump we all know he could do!

Also Kobe would THRUST himself into the fray and battle whether his shot was on or not.
    Jalen, unless challenged, seems to want to lay back in the weeds where it's safe and let others take the key shots.
    I think it's because he has no confidence in his overall game.

It's a question of "Mamba Mentality" versus whatever Jalen's mentality is.
    I'm not going to put him down with insults because I like and root for Jalen.
    Just being realistic.

He's NOTHING like Kobe imo!

Prince_Hakeem and daywalker02 like this.
  4. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

LOVE the honesty by Ime!
    LOVE that Dillon owned up to some of his STUPID mistakes!
    Jabari did play good and he's getting to where he can score at a high clip over "smaller" players.
    What I'M WAITING FOR is when/if he gets to the point where he can do that against other quality bigs!!!

sirjesse likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's too early to give up on Jalen. With that preface... his tendency to disappear for long stretches and flash once in a while suggests a low floor.

Forget mentioning any aspect of Kobe - an all time top 5 guard. Green cant touch the hem of Kobe's robes. Green has yet to persuade that a Tracy McGrady impact is imminent (all time top 50 guard). Or even a Steve Francis. Or Cuttino Mobley? It's not worth projecting a guy who is so erratic right now. I'm just looking for him to find some consistent moves and ways to fit in.

#1805 napalm06, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Interesting...

7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Jalen was a +5, Fred was a minus 12. Fred played too many minutes

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Luka was not feeling the thumb issue, dude was going to go for 50.....

Dallas has better vibes in games...., their owner is constantly sitting courtside like Ballmer.....no surprise there.

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

The player rotations are pretty bad on the team. The coach has to get better at it. Playing Fred VanVleet 41 minutes is not good. Give Whitmore some minutes to give Fred some extra rest.

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Non-shooting hand though. Dallas are not going to do much. Maybe 6th seed

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He has shown that he can do it with Sengun easily.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is true but I think the 6th seed and the 2nd seed will be decided by a margin of like 2.5 games ......

If they kept Dinwiddie or Brunson, hot damn.

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Different coach and system

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He takes the worst shots inside the arc. He just chucks them up there. You give him a pass for his under 40 percent shooting because of his assists.

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

I wasn't one of them talking about KPJ

Just want him to be efficient when shooting. I want him to be held to the same standards the fans here hold other players to.

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Be honest and put your hand up if you have no patience with younger players........

Now put your hand up if you owe Jabari Smith Jnr an apology for giving up on him in his rookie season

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Apology for what, it was a tanking season and people expected good stats from a rookie in a meaningless season......

He does not owe us, and we do not owe him, he will be getting paid just fine.

Do we have to apologize for every rookie having a turnaround performance, can we straight up go to Canada?

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

It was a rebuilding year...........if you have given up on the season already, fans have no point in criticising players for losses

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I handled them youngins just fine throughout history.

No special treatment just because those younger generations are soft in mind....

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

In 11 of the past 13 games, Jabari Smith Jnr has shot 50 per cent or better from the field.