1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 1/23/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 23, 2021.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I missed the game yesterday, but why wasn't Dipo playing?

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree, his contract is tough to move, but attaching Nwaba won't hurt us. I would like Royce ONeale and another player on a smaller contract than EG. Royce isn't playing well in Utah. I think he could be a good SF in Houston. They aren't a contender, but they think they're one.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Small ball defense is bailing out and maximizing Silas offense.

Crazy considering he is supposed to be an offensive genius.

HP3, clos4life, ak99999 and 2 others like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not playing on back to backs due to his return from injury.

Soreness.

Like Wall.

roslolian and RKREBORN like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets defensive rating has been a all over the place, listed from 9th to 11th.

Same with offensive rating, between 18th and 21st.

But net rating seems consistent at 12th at +2.2.

Houstunna, roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Resting him on back to backs.

DD

RKREBORN likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall Only Fan amirite?

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I keep bringing up Knick’s because their team payroll is low (around $93M) and they need more offensive firepower.
    They can absorb more payroll than they have to send out.

Tllman would like the expiring contracts back of Elfrid Payton, Reggie Bullock, Dennis Smith jr (RFA), Nerlens
    Any or all back.

What would the Knicks pay for a $16.9M contract that Houston pays most of it by trade deadline, then also goes
    $18.2M next season........then $19.6M (in 22/23). Knicks always think they can be a major player in free agency
    and don’t want to add a lot of payroll beyond this season.

The top 4 teams in both conferences probably won’t touch EG because they can’t afford the price tag that comes
    with him. In the NBA it’s not always about winning.......cost also plays a big part to all teams. If there are 8 SG’s
    due to be free agents this summer that are on non contenders; then there are probably 8 players ahead of EG set
    to be moved. Rockets don’t want a bad contract back unless it is an expiring contract this summer.

roslolian and saleem like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Magic need more offensive firepower too and currently in danger of falling out of play in contention.

10. saleem

You're right about the Rockets. I don't think EG will be attractive to NYK. Utah has had a good start, but everyone knows they're fools gold. I think they might get desperate for additional scoring if EG continues to remain fit/ plays well. Adding Nwaba should help to get the job done.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. saleem

I got an idea which works on the NBA ESPN trade machine. EG and Nwaba for Gary Harris. Gary's contract is for 2 years (19 M plus each year). @ApacheWarrior @D-rock

#1031 saleem, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Possibly. Utah has the 4th highest payroll in the Western Conference at $134M.

It’s possible they add Eric Gordon, with the idea Conley expiring contract drops their team payroll to around $99M for next
    season and they would like Eric Gordon under contract control. Bringing their payroll up to about $117M.

SG’s going into free agency in the summer: expiring contracts
    Oladipo
    Alec Burks
    Fournier
    Wayne Ellington
    Garrett Temple
    Norman Powell (player option)......if Raptors don’t improve record.
    Reggie Jackson
    J J Redick

Burks is probably not getting traded because the Knicks want him for playoff push.
    Wayne Ellington probably helps no team.
    The others are viable options ahead of Eric Gordon.

Not sure Nwaba will entice enough teams.

My best guess is the Rockets would like to package the late 1st round picks together to move in for a top
    10 player selection to go with the rebuild/core of Wood/Tate/Mason Jones/......Wall or EG (or both).
    House.....take him or leave him (out of the equation).

Question one has to ask is, does Eric Gordon get me past Lakers/Clippers in the West or Nets/Bucks in
    the East.........take on that contract in the process?

saleem likes this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

A lot of it is guys just not making shots though. If they can work out the offense the way Ive seen them work out defensive schemes in the last week we would be a great team you know if people can stay healthy lol

roslolian likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bro you dont know what Nwaba is worth. Dont assume adding him magically makes EG a good deal. Most other teams dont know about him and dont care. Oh a 28 yr old 4 yr journeyman shooting 26.5% from 3? Why the heck would Nwaba suddenly make a 16M albotross palatable? This isnt NBA 2k with trade override on.

Thats why Celtics fans were saying they'd take Harden for Peyton Pritchard and Kemba Walker, but only if Houston adds a couple of picks to sweeten the deal.

clos4life likes this.
  15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Young legs are moving laterally and contesting everything.

kjayp and hakeem94 like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

That too.

But much of defense is attitude and effort.

Most importantly a system that fits your personnel.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Great win... easily the best of the season by far. Rockets currently have their best group of role players since the 90s. Role players need stars though. Rockets have three previous All-Stars plus Wood who has been playing like one. But they all have major health issues. Tracy and Yao played a playoff game where only FOUR total Rockets scored. Harden had questionable rolies his entire stint plus a lack of star teammates overall. Championship teams need a combination. So the bottom-line is, if this team has good health, they're going to the CF minimum. I wouldn't bet on good health though.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I been skeptical thus far and do have some issues with players he insists on using too much or in roles they just aren't fit for, but I believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt. A motion offense doesn't just come together over night and considering all the moving pieces this season, it's hard to judge it right now.

I'm giving it about half a season or so before judging.

D-rock likes this.