1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Magic - Vegas Summer League 7/7/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2022.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

13 rebounds which jives with his high motor- lots of plain out hustling his peers. I think Smith could have easily had 10 rebounds but let a smaller player secure the board a few times…that being said I thought Smith didn’t box out very well so there is that.

I have a similar concern about KPJ. Hoping for the best - he should be hitting that developmental bump later this season that a lot of players hit once they hit about 250-300 games played. His future in the league really hinges a lot on what happens this year for him…I tend to think he eventually ends up as a Jamal Crawford type of 2nd unit scorer but he has a chance to solidify himself as a legit starter too - but probably will never be a pure pass first/setup the offense point guard. TyTy showed more awareness in that department in one summer league game than KPJ has shown his whole career.

2. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

I picked up something on one of my Auburn boards from anonymous NBA coach and scout the middle of last month I thought some might find interesting. Wish I could just copy and paste but I can't. I'll condense and do a little paraphrase:
    USA BASKETBALL MEMBER-said Jabari just showed up unannounced at a 16 and under USA camp (there had been 3 mini camps already).That was his first USA experience, the camp in Florida when we were picking the team. That never goes well. Everyone’s first experience, it’s always the ball’s different, the rules are different, the other guys have been here before, so I’ve got to kind of find my way. He didn’t have that. He’s one of the few guys in that setting I didn’t see struggle the first time through. He dominated the first time. That camp was the first time NBA scouts were allowed to come to our training camps for the younger teams. So this is 16 and under, in 2019. Just so happens, Jabari Smith is there, and he killed it. Any scout who watched us for the two days had Jabari in the top two or three guys there.

Not a physically dominating guy but he had his shot...could handle the ball well, could pass the ball...you could see the other parts he didn't have because he wasn't strong enough (age 16)...you could see IT was there,his body just had to get there. there. He could move his feet, so you knew he'd be able to switch well.He could shoot well and you could see how good he was going yo be. Seeing him at Auburn...he's gotten stronger, his body is starting to fill out.Still not where he's going to be.If playing the Celtics, he'd put Smart, Tatum or Jaylen Brown on him.He's got to be able to take the physicality that comes with it.Jabari is not always going to be able to use his length to shoot over people; you’ve got to create some space to shoot over people. He’s got the skill set to do it. It’s just, is he going to have the strength to do it ? Eventually, he will.

EASTERN CONFERENCE Exec: This is my favorite.....If you asked me that question early in the year, when (Duke) played at the Garden, I would have said Banchero. Now, what you see from Banchero now, he’s about 85 PERCENT OF THE PLAYER HE'S GOING TO BE.. Fine-tune some things, improve the jump shot. But the other kid (Smith) has all of the upside. He reminds me of, in how he plays, and his makeup, Rashard Lewis. Rashard may have had a nasty streak, but he didn’t always play with it. What’s missing with Smith when I went to see him, you’d like to see a guy with an ATTITUDE, who’s that skilled, of I’m going to get it. He deferred fairly quickly, when he didn’t have to.

WESTERN CONFERENCE EXEC:Arguably probably as good, if not the best, long-range, 3-point shooting prospects with size to come along in a while. Off the top of my head, I’m hard-pressed to come up with someone better. Really can stretch the floor and could be quite a weapon on the right team. He’s not a self-creator. Not a guy you give the ball, and the clock runs down, can get his own. Maybe that comes in time, maybe it doesn’t. But he’s still going to be a big-time player even without that.

He's better on the boards but not a rebounding machine.HE'S GROWING INTO HIS BODY.Lean and supple body that's going to put on a lot of weight and strength...you can see that coming.Not a big shot blocker but he moves his feet well.I look for him to be A HELLUVA OUTSIDE SHOOTER IN THE LEAGUE.Can run the floor on the break. You get it to him; he can dunk in traffic. He can drive a closeout straight line; he’s just not a guy with a whole bunch of wiggle, doing a lot of creating and making a play there. He deserves serious consideration for the first-overall pick.

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jabari will play well tonight I hope our coaches are smart enough to feature Jabari and slow down Christopher from shooting every time.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When I've said he reminds me of Lewis, guys think I'm crazy,but thats a good comp. Rashard was pretty good for about 8 years ,but he was a 2nd rd pick. If he had went to college, he probably goes higher even back then. Jabari isn't going to be a bust, he just has limitations as an athlete and a player. Nothing wrong with that, all young players have shortcomings.

5. hakeemthagreat

Very stupid assessment. How can your best defender foul the most on the team?