1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Magic 3/1/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

You spoke for me.

2. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

That's not true.

Many of the initially Lin fans will get to love some of our other players and want to continue to root for the youngest and most inexperienced team on their way to championship.

3. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Well said.

4. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Well said.

5. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Lin had 8 points in 8 minutes then got benched for 10 minutes because of it. Guess that might make you reluctant to shoot when you finally got back in.

6. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Wow, words of wisdom for all the clutchfans.

7. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Exactly, Lin was the reason the Rockets were up 24-15 to open the 1st Q. He knocked down 2 3-pointers and 2 FT, while Harden was ice cold. But oh no, McHale can't allow that can he ?

8. LoLin

LoLin Member

He didn't look for his shots in the 2nd quarter, though he did rather aggressively in creating his own shots in the 3rd, all of them were open look.

1) A supposed to be shooting foul 3
    2) A drive that got fouled. Made 1/2 FTl
    3) A long mid range that clanked
    4) A floater that bricked
    5) A short jumper that hit the front rim because he didn't have enough lift
    6) A spinning layup.

If anything, the main criticism should not be him not looking for his shots, but being unable to take advantage of the open looks the defense gave him. That's why McHale was right to stick with Beverley in the 4th this time, because he was knocking down shots.

At the end of the day, the whole argument of the PG position is irrelevant if the Rockets' main issue is PF's lack of defense and rebounding prowess.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Glad you finally came out with all these facts.

Facts speak louder than just words. Hope this would dismiss all those shooting in the dark.

On several occasions, McHale could also choose to sub Harden for Lin to give him some rest.

10. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Can you please explain why McHale had to say to media that Lin was not helping the team win when he scored 29 points and helped win over the Thunder team that has the second best winning record of the league?

11. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Not necessarily taking Beverley out. How about subbing Harden for Lin so he could take a rest?

12. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

That is a fair point. If the goal is to stagger their minutes and have very little time where neither Lin or Harden are on the court, why does Lin have to come out first? If Lin is hot and Harden is not, why not sub Harden out at 8 minutes?

I don't think McHale is an idiot. The answer is Lin's stamina is not yet where it needs to be. We all see how he usually starts very strong and then his performance deteriorates as the game goes on. He simply can't match Harden's stamina yet; that's the only reason he gets fewer minutes. It has nothing to do with performance. The coaching staff doesn't want to run Lin down in the course of riding out a hot streak because he might not have anything left for crunch time. If Lin is riding the bench in crunch time, it's probably a combination of him already burning most of his juice and the backup playing well enough that they don't need to risk pushing him further.

Lin & Asik have this in common: fans always screaming, wondering why they are on the bench. The answer is neither of them have the stamina they need to play at the team's pace for 30-40 minutes a game. It might look like it through that grainy, ****ty stream on your computer screen, but these guys get exhausted.

13. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Both harden and Lin were injured and still had soreness in their legs.

Can you explain why Harden still played 42 minutes and Lin only 25 in this game?

Did the head coach, instead of fans, want to overplay Harden so he get injured or have his injury aggravated?

14. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

I would argue it is much worse than a missed FGA. With a missed FGA, at least you have a chance to reset on the defensive end or get a offensive rebound. A TO during a drive leads to a fast break with a much higher chance of scoring for the opposing team

15. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Read my post.

Harden is better conditioned than Lin. To be fair, most players in the league cannot play 35+ minutes out are pace. That's (one reason) why Harden is called a superstar.

16. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I'm in agreement Beverley should have played the 4th Q. I'm disputing the 1st & 2nd Q when he sat for 10 straight minutes despite playing well. There was NO excuse for that. Also Lin shot 50% for the game.

17. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I forgot to say the PG discussion is not irrelevant because we won't beat the better teams by benching players when they're playing well.

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

Repped for being a reasonable Lin fan.

19. visible

visible Member

this team is not rewarded by defense but only offense. so no one really cares about defense in thier mind. they don't will to take charge or fault and benched by coach.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Who lumped everyone who supports Lin into a characterization? You can't qualify it much more than saying "his compromised and biased fans that pollute our forum with nonsense after team wins." You took that to mean ALL of his fans. Get out of here with that noise.

I'm compromised? Talk about a zero evidence conspiracy theory. And lobbying for more fairness... exactly how am I being "unfair" here? You yourself said you agreed 100% with my only point made in the thread.

Yes, some Lin Fans are compromised when it comes to the Rockets. That's not opinion... that's just a fact. This is a Rockets forum ... when the interest of the Rockets and the interest of Lin's box score line don't necessarily align, as they didn't last night, the bias is plainly revealed and we get garbage from these types of fans... unless of course you somehow missed these posts:

That's what we're tired of... teenage conspiracy theory junk.

This is the kind of nonsense that makes Rockets fans shake their head.

I didn't realize there was a Lin vs. Rockets cause that I needed to take up here. That's the problem with this mindset... a simple illustration why Beverley played over Lin, though 100% reasonable and accurate, is seen as possibly anti-Lin. I believe I have said before Lin should have been in at point X of a game. I know I've gone on both Comcast and Rocketscast Live and said the offense could run through Jeremy more. In our most recent podcast with Bimathug I told a story about Lin from his foundation dinner and raved about how high character he is. But saying all this smacks of some kind of "But I've got friends of that race!" defense against a racism claim.

The better question is: How often have I "taken up for" Omer Asik, Carlos Delfino, Chandler Parsons, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Patrick Beverley, Terrence Jones, James Anderson, Greg Smith? Think about the bull**** you could say if you convinced yourself that the coach had a problem with one of those guys. Imagine even if Lin was in Beverley's spot last night, how many of you would be asking for a starting lineup change, maybe even claiming the coaches have it in for him by keeping him on the bench?

I've seen and spoken with Kevin McHale and Kelvin Sampson (the previous target of LOF wrath) at many practices and games and I believe two things:

1) They love Jeremy Lin.
    2) They have one thing dictating their decisions: Winning.

Results and production matter. Not everything is "hate" or irrational. Playing Beverley last night extended minutes was not only perfectly justifiable, but it proved to be a game-winning coaching decision. You say you understand this... others clearly do not. I'm not worried about Lin or "taking up for" him in the slightest because I know he'll be just fine, will continue to improve and will be ready for the next game.

So in the end, I'm glad you conceded that it might be you... because it is.

1 person likes this.