1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Lakers 5/4/2009 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adoo

adoo Member

the key for the Rox is not to get caught up in an up-tempo game w the Lakers.

Yao is the Rox best player; an up-tempo game nullifies his game.

2. rage

rage Member

We lost 0-4 during the regular season but we didn't really play well in those games.

Game 1: 111-82, Tmac 1-11, Artest 2-11, and we had to carry Head. :) Really, it was just a bad game, we allowed 39 pts in the 4th, somehow I don't think that will happen again.

Game 2: 105-100, Rafer 5-14, Brooks 2-10, and we had the lead with 27 seconds to go.

Game 3: 102-96: Artest 4-16, yet the game was close until the last 2, 3 minutes.

Game 4: 93-81, Brooks& Lowry 1-11. We had a couple of cold stretches where we didn't score much and they simply added 5, 6 pts to their lead that we could not recover from.

I bought up those stats not to bash the players but to point out that we can do better. Many players have improved and as a team, we have improved. Despite 99% of people picking the Lakers, I believe we just might pull a surprise.

1986, the Lakers were defending champion, no one though we had a chance to win that series either and Ralph Sampson's twisting , awkward turn around shot at the buzzer of game 5 sent them home.

Rockets, let's repeat history.

3. adoo

adoo Member

this year's Lakers are not defending champion; they're more embarrassed than angry that they didn't get the ring last year.

the hunger is there.

on the flip side, there may be contentment on the part of the Rox, who had finally advance pass the first round. deep inside, they may feel that this is already a great accomplishment.

4. adoo

adoo Member

deep inside, they may feel that this is already a great accomplishment, in a manner like the 22-game winning streak last year.

5. TmacIsBack

TmacIsBack Member

scola is gonna go off for like 30...and brent barry is a boss

6. ikfit

ikfit Member

Win 1 on Mon.
    Win another 1 on Wen.
    Lucky win 1 on Fri
    Suprised win 1 on X day.

Go Rockets

7. gamor

gamor Member

lol, those laker fans just said same thing on their board, they want to run up and down ,so make yao wear out.

8. uci

uci Member

i don't know what type of strategy the rox need to win, none of them will work against the lakers, only chance of winning is if kobe gets cold like he did in that one game against the jazz

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I think the key to beating the lakers is to make Gasol ineffective. I think the way to do that is stick Artest on him and let him get in his head. Battier can handle Kobe as well as Ron.

I hope to see a Brooks or Lowry/Wafer/Battier/Artest/Yao lineup at times in this series.

10. HCoog

HCoog Member

Saw chuck hayes yesterday at cheesecake factory, and asked him if they are ready for the lakers and he said yes, just wanted to update you guys

11. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

The actual reason we lost the last 2 regular games to the Lakers is because of the turnovers. As long as we take care of the ball and protect the boards, this will be a very close series.

12. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I hope Kobe gets swine flu ;)

On a more serious note, limiting Gasol and Odom is essential in order to have a shot at upsetting the Lakers. Landry has got to come up huge in this series.

13. Egghead

Egghead Member

Rockets 90
    Los Angeles 108

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

that's a relief, I thought he was going to say no or just break down and start crying

15. I_Luv_U_LA

I_Luv_U_LA Member

With all my respect to the rockets.. but I dont really see why u guys are assuming that if the rockets steal 1 game in LA it means the series will be over in 6.. maybe you need to remember that the lakers have the best road record this season.. and are 5-2 in houston last 4 seasons! im not saying the rockets can`t beat the lakers in houston im just saying that even if houston wins in LA (IT DOESNT MEAN THEY WILL WIN THIS SERIES) as most of you are predicting.. the Lakers can win in houston even if houston wins in LA :)

1 person likes this.
  16. kpopy

kpopy Member

Landry has got to come up huge in this series.
    Landry didn't play decent in the last series against Portland Trailblazers, I can't see why. I hope he could stand up in this series.

17. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

dont say that. u know how jinxed this team is. now someone on our team will prolly end up with swine flu...

18. #96in the #

#96in the # Member

hey no to ruin tjhis sites progression. But everyone who is feeling bad. Or sick to their stomach. Or the worst swine flu. Get HELP it can be dealt with if in a certain amount of time.

19. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

The outcome of this game will most likely show us whether we have a chance or we'll just be another victim of the Mamba and his crew.

IF we play hard, with Artest and Battier playing nigh impenetrable defense, and Yao getting his touches and shots, I can see this game coming down to the wire.

"2 seconds left on the clock, Lakers up by two...Scola inbounds it to Wafer, takes the shot- IT'S IN FOR THREE!!! THE ROCKETS HAVE DONE IT!!! THEY'VE STOLEN ONE RIGHT UNDER THE LAKER'S NOSES!

"He's not a cookie, he's not a cracker, he's-"

"VON WAFER!!!"

20. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Need the 1st game! Let's make some noise in the West!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.