1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Lakers 11/18/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 17, 2012.

1. sidestep

sidestep Member

I saw this because it was retweeted by Howard Beck. From Kobe's death stare, I guess he thought Lin was flopping LOL. Kobe joked that Lin was too small to stand the collision.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe kidded about @<a href="https://twitter.com/jlin7">jlin7</a> being too little to hold up to the mid-game collision with Kobe but also said: "I really like his decision making."</p>&mdash; KEVIN DING (@KevinDing) <a href="https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/270404643195084800" data-datetime="2012-11-19T05:54:25+00:00">November 19, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

This is why I think the coaching staff is substandard........ I've been wailing on this for the past week. It should be stupid obvious.

3. torocan

torocan Member

Wow. Folks are tossing around numbers like 18/10 and 16/9 are common.

16/9 would make him a top 10 PG.

Let's do some easy math.

Lin scored 5 points. He put up 10 assists and 3 TO's... 3.3 TO/Assist ratio. And the cross court pass was miscommunication, NOT a bad pass.

Morris was going full speed, then as Lin passed Morris did a stutter step and slowed down. If he'd continued a full run to the basket, the pass would have been dead on target. That's why Lin was yelling at Morris, to tell him he should have continued cutting to the basket instead of slowing down.

Here's another way to look at it, if every assist is worth 2 points, he added 25+ points to the score line.

In actuality, he added 29 points (6 x 2 pointer assists + 4 x 3 point assists). That's purely off his CREDITED assists and not counting any passes that resulted in Free throws or and1's off scoring.

5 points, 10 assists is a Very solid stat line even if he shot 2/9.

If Lin had 15/6 would people be complaining? 15/6 would add up to about 28 or 29 points on the boxscore -- IE, about the same impact he had tonight by getting 5 and 10.

And for folks talking about 16 and 9, you realize only THREE PG's in the league averaged 9+ assists last season? Rondo, Nash and Chris Paul.

And only TEN PG's averaged 16+ points, and only ONE of them averaged over 9+ assists? Chris Paul.

In fact, only THREE PG's averaged 16/8+ ... Chris Paul, Deron Williams and John Wall.

We know he's had trouble shooting. Shooting slumps happen. And he hasn't shot bad Every game, he is however inconsistent. Shooting slumps always sort themselves out.

Really, folks need to relax and stop expecting ridiculous things.

As for the rest of the team shooting well, has it occurred to some of the complainers that a BIG part of that is Lin is getting them WIDE OPEN Looks?

As for him going into the paint to help Defend, EVERYONE on the team was doing it, and EVERYONE got burned by long range jumpers while doing it.

Why? It's because Kobe, Dwight and Pau were DESTROYING us in the paint.

And let's not even get started on how Physically trashed our team was tonight.

Asik took an uncalled Elbow to the Face. At least 4 or 5 of our guys were bleeding.

Lin not only tried to take TWO Charges at FULL speed, but took an Elbow from MWP, AND got run over at FULL speed by Kobe (who had the nerve to look at the ref as if it was a bad call) on top of his normal contact getting into the lane.

I'm amazed Lin could still stand let alone aim for the basket.

The team did fine. We still scored a good clip and put up alot of points.

The Lakers just have WAY more talent, and are WAY bigger down low.

We had almost no chance of stopping Kobe, Pau AND Dwight. Just too big, too long, too good, and too experienced for a roster like ours.

The team is making progress, and that's all you can really hope for.

2 people like this.
  4. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Yeah, I would hope they already know this. :(

5. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Mostly contested jumpers or layups that had no chance because three defenders converged on the play. One of the layups didn't draw iron.

As long as there are no screens or open lanes provided, Lin shouldn't even worry about taking shots. (If there are no screens, the PG shouldn't shoot at all.) The lack of screens will make any good offensive guard look awful.

6. Luca

Luca Member

Great post a always my man. Your analysis of this game is jut dead on. The Lakers are too talented for such a young team like the Rockets.

7. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I'm just getting used to the boards again... is there a like+ button? :)

You were able to summarize some of my sentiments I had scattered all over.

+1 for being the master.

8. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Kobe was thinking, "How did this guy score 38 on us last season??" ........

9. mirus

mirus Member

right hand side +/- green buttons

always glad torocan here,now if tkf posted itll be perfect:p

10. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Right, they'd not even take Yao...Man this group just sees and hears what they want to hear...I'm almost wondering if they play basketball the same way, and know that Harden is a proven "commodity" quoted, there for Royce White, Lin is a half proven commodity, he is a commodity bc of the following he brings, like Tebow, he isn't good, he was good, or great in college, but he's Tim TEBOW oMG! ;) Harden was on the olympic team, and learned from oh ya know a pretty good player named Durant, and then learned a bunch from oh ya know...THE OLYMPIC TEAM...it is usually when a player has his best season (players under 26) have their best seasons following playing in the Olympics for Team USA....Chris Paul was one youngster who is an example...
    Harden deserves what he does, and look LOF, it isn't as if we have some "TMAC", or God "KOBE" taking 46 shots a game scoring 24 points, and not going to the line oh 10 times a game...LOF y'all are hilarious in your assumptions, and bashing, it's like you hate the Rockets, but feel as if you have to like the Rockets bc of Lin, I guess....I don't know...

11. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

Thanks! Hmm, I looked for the green buttons on T's post, but didn't see them there.

12. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

This can also be proven if people add up those stats including steals, rebounds...for Harden being a good, and EFFICIENT player...since when you add those up he gets in 3rd or 4th place with guys like ummmm. Lebron, DURANT, ETC. he is still playing efficient ball....the team is young guys chill....
    Good post dude:cool:

13. mirus

mirus Member

right upper corner ,or search #1780(torocan's post).You'll see a reply below.
    There's a green feedback button on the left.Click on it

14. just a word

just a word Member

I seriously always love your posts and how rational you are about things. And that your thoughts are my thoughts if my thoughts were organized, so bless you.

15. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qduqqKFTnb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope this works.

Geraldd, thanks for uploading this quickly. It wasn't an elbow, but a slap or hit under Jeremy's chin or side of face.

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

quick turnaround!! Look at that, half of Parson's field-goals today came directly from Jeremy Lin setting him up and fools here are quick to talk about him showing up and completely ignoring how he scored half his baskets. You think Toney Douglas can do that?? Take Lin off the team, Parson's production drops.

17. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

My GOODNESS torocan, how heavy is your brain?
    Keep dragging those dumb folks with your wisdom.

18. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Can anyone decipher what MWP said to Jeremy when they broke apart?

19. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

"My bad, I thought you were Harden"

20. nono

nono Member

It would be beautiful if he could score 15 ppg on good efficiency and still keep these assist numbers up. Those would be all star numbers.

The thing that has me worried though is that he has never been super efficient. Even last season his shooting % dropping dramatically after all star break I think when defenses were adjusting to him. So while the potential is there, he has his work cut out for him. I hope he realizes right now that shooting is his biggest weakness and spends a lot of time correcting it.