1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 5/4/2018 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 3, 2018.

1. basketballholic

Well it's the Jazz turn to adjust. So let's start there.

First of all, we started seeing Neito.last game because they realized they needed another true playmaker out there and exum want cutting it when we took away Mitchell.

1. So I would surmise they're going to work on some plays to go to with either Neito or Exum since they've got a practice to run some sets and get Exum more comfortable and up to speed, not only on scoring opportunities but also on distribution opportunities when we're taking Mitchell away. They've got to get something going by using Mitchell as a decoy since were now focused lb taking him away.

2. I would also assume they're princely working on low post entry passes to Gobert and getting him to immediately go up aggressively into Capela and the other defenders. They know they have to reestablish Gobert's superior length down low. So I world loo for some sort of play where Mitchell throws the ball weakside and there's sign immediate assault on the rim with Rudy/Favors and the other guard. (I know that's general. It's as good as I can do. Because there's so many different weak side play options if they get into it quick.)

Now defensively for Utah they've got to figure out a way to keep Gobert from getting stuck on Harden and Paul in iso. They have to avoid that as much as possible to have any chance to win this series. I don't know how they're going to do it. But here's some possibilities.

1. Abandon the two-big lineup to start the game and bring Favors off the bench to spell Gobert. Start Crowder. And run Neito and Burks for shine minutes so they can go with one big on the floor at all times.

2. Try Crowder on Capela and assess how it works on both ends. This world be a possible personnel package to deal with our 5-out lineup.

Utah is missing Rubio who is a very good and very versatile defender. That's why we're seeing Neito and Burks and even the Swiss guy (can't get his name right now).

If I were Snyder......the first thing I would do would be to let Mitchell bring the ball up on the side, quickly saying it over and dump it down low to a sealing Gobert. I would be working on getting Gobert the ball lie and getting him to immediately go up right through the defenders. That's the gamble I'd take. Might get me a bunch of turnovers. Dunno. But I'd want to see if I could get Gobert done dunks/layups and simultaneously get Capela in foul trouble. I'm confident in that scenario that we'd have to go searching for an answer. Robert is too big for PJ.

So if I were MDA, I'd be thinking how early I could win this series if I can continue to further neutralize Gobert and maybe get him of the court altogether. So I wo ild continue to exploit other ways to get Gobert into mismatches with Harden and Paul and I would anticipate the Jazz trying to establish Gobert down low. I'd make sure Clint WAS NOT super aggressive early and emphasize to him not to pick up early fouls.....to go ahead and be a little bit tentative early and maybe even let some of the play go if he was in a vulnerable spot for a foul call if he challenged a shot. Them as the game wears on towards halftime open up the aggression and then get mire aggressive in the second half.

That's all I got for now.

2. basketballholic

When you have to say in all honesty......you're not. Quit lying.

3. basketballholic

No offense taken. Unless its a corner three, dunk, or layup.

4. basketballholic

I've watched and played. Playoff teams with intensity problems get their coach fired. We don't have an intensity problem. MDA ain't going anywhere.

5. basketballholic

Here's what I said verbatim.

"........the problem is IF we actually pull this series out of the hat there's virtually no chance for us to beat the Warriors without a serious defensive boost from either Luc getting back healthy or some other player all of a sudden giving us something defensively that we haven't had all season."

Don't misquote me. And don't take what I said out of context. K?

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Thanks. Despite the hate - you know your ****.

DavidRocket likes this.
  7. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Lol says the guy who claims to be an expert, gets on after 1 loss and says we are in deep trouble.

Then has the audacity to say playing Qi might be something we want to think about.

“All honesty” = trying to be nice. Maybe you aren’t stupid. But that post you made was downright stupid. No offense

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Lol at that eye contact then head shake that both Ariza and Paul had at the end of the clip

Stormy1234 likes this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Any word yet on Rubio for Game 4?

EDIT: Never mind.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

If Utah decides to run their offense through Gobert for Offense using post ups, then they will lose badly. I would love for them to do that. Its one of the least efficient plays in basketball unless...you are Anthony Davis or Joel Embid...really its just Joel cause Davis doesnt play that way.

11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Kinda looks like MDA says something to him before that

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The Jazz's court is very poorly designed. Retro graphics in a bad way. I'm sorry.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I feel like he will have 1 game this playoffs where he will be the reason we win the game. The unsung hero (while getting paid the most on the team)

14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Still better than the Rockets'. We have the ugliest court in the NBA.

15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He probably won't play any meaningful minute for the rest of the playoffs. Our defensive scheme makes him unplayable. Coach made the right decision to bench him but I just feel bad for the man.

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

It could be worse.

[​IMG]

RocketWalta, daywalker02, adw and 3 others like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

this looks dope. Better than the current

hakeem94 and cerophilik like this.
  18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I was gonna make fun of him but I think he has a disability.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If he hit his open shots he would be.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

These two were fighting like this in the Drew league. Brothers fight and winning teams fight when they are losing. They are holding each other accountable.

onreego and hakeem94 like this.