1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 5/4/2018 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 3, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We don't need to break down the play of the Big in a PnR slipping the pick for an oop or layup pass from a star driver running the PnR,,,,we don't need to break down that play, because that is our play, which means we've seen every NBA defense against it there is.

I'm surprised no one on the board has suggested an obvious adjustment to Donovan (and Exum even) running our PnR plays, with Gobert and Favors rolling.

What could that adjustment be?

Hint: We all know by heart how several teams defend our PnRs, and we have a much better version of Donovan Mitchell running our plays. What do teams do against us?​

Yes, the better Donovan gets the more Utah has been running ours plays for him. When they do, what are the adjustments teams can make to guard a PnR offense with a premier driver running the play? You sound like you are struggling to figure this out, when last year you had no problem telling us how to stop the Rockets.

WHAT IF: What if we drop Capela back against the PnR (either ICE or a straight drop) and stick to the shooters, thus maximizing help on drives while also taking away passing options for Donovan. I think I've read that somewhere before. :D

If you watch the Game 2 replay closely, Ariza had one of his worst defensive games in awhile, and I'm one of Ariza's biggest fans saying this. Playing ICE vs Donovan or dropping the big back is what many do to Harden to give the primary defender the most help on drives and alley-oop passes off of drives.

Bottomline: Donovan is learning every day. And he made great personal adjustments to his read/attacks of our PnR defense. But let's not call that some offense we've never seen before ... that's our offense. Feed him some Harden defense now. Drop the big against Donovan and/or ICE him and stick to the shooters,,,take away his passing and give his defender (Ariza) maximum help on drives by dropping the big.

Or at least mix it up. Show him different looks!

And you can still switch any off-ball perimeter movement while doing this, or secondary ball screens.

@Os Trigonum don't say IDIOT. I'm too far gone in my Playoff superstitions to start a thread about adjustments. But someone else can do the honors?

DonKnock, Voltik, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Member

saleem and pippendagimp like this.
  3. basketballholic

Don't know if dropping Capela back in the pnr will work. But it's worth a try. Frankly, I don't think it will work because Gobert has so much size on Capela that Utah could then use Gobert to shield Capela out of the play altogether.

But, once again, it's worth a try. We flooded the paint with defenders in game 2 and they ate our lunch.

I really think the best answer to Gobert is to get him iso'd up against Harden/Paul along with running pick and pop with him rubbed off on a shooter.

Paul, Gordon, Green, Ariza, Harden is the lineup I want to see with Green defending Ingles and preventing the catch, Harden on Crowder, and see what Seuss can do with Gobert defensively, then spread them out on the other end and look to take Gobert one-on-one or get Ingles in a switch matched up on one of the creators with the other Gobert having to tag a shooter.

#163 basketballholic, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  4. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

For some reason I'm not as worried. I think the Jazz have a lot of talent and are great defensively, but they have to play exceptionally well each game to win. They can't keep doing that all series, especially when the Rockets really don't have to go as hard to win.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we were able to fix the Go-bear problem our last trip to UTA by playing luc at the 5, the night he couldn't miss from the arc or on his drives. problem in game 2 is he couldn't convert on anything. i think it's worth trying him there again b/c odds are those shots go in tonite

DonKnock and saleem like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Weird idea: I suppose you're saying Capela and Nene never try to shield dropping bigs against Harden, because we suck and/or MDA sucks?

That's not it: If a roller attempts to shield/front a dropping big, you become the one out of the play, and/or just contributing to clogging the lane for the driver.

I don't think I've ever seen an ICE defender or a dropping-big shielded (presumably fronted) by anyone other than a legit scoring low-post big....which Gobert definitely is not. The play for dunkers like Gobert/Capela/Adams is always to split the dropping big with driver on one side and big on other.

here's why:

Dropping or playing ICE doesn't mean you stand under the rim ... as that's a 3-second violation waiting to happen. The big in ICE or a drop is straddling the FT line (called two-nining or "2.9" defense), when the PnR starts...then backs down into the lane as the dribbler commits to the drive (tracking the drive)...or tracks the offensive big if he slips early. Plus if a shield actually works, it works so slowly that Capela just steps out into Donovan's lane, and Ariza has plenty of time to switch onto the fronting big. It's a massive clogging of the lane. The rolling big has to go to the rim to provide necessary spacing....which is what we always see throughout the NBA.

#166 heypartner, May 4, 2018
    DonKnock likes this.
  7. basketballholic

Yes I've seen us shield (seal/screen) for cp3 so he can get if the little bunny ten footer in the paint.

Agree, Gobert isn't a great low post player.

But when his defender is sinking into the paint all Gobert had to do is deal him near the rim. Gobert has something like a 9'8" standing reach. All he's got to do is lean on his defender and go up. He doesn't have to be a great low post player to do that. It's just using his length.

In my opinion, the last thing we want is Capela trying to defend Gobert from behind at the lip of the rim.

But remember what I said. I have no issue with seeing what happens by dropping Capela down in the pick and roll defense. We need to find out what will happen rather than just theorize. I say try it.

My main point is that Gobert is a great defensive player and the best way to mute his affect is to sit him on the bench with foul trouble. You do that with mismatches.

#167 basketballholic, May 4, 2018
  8. steveng125

steveng125 Member

The analysts on step up picked the jazz to win this game

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I truly don't understand why Rockets stop doing the horn double pick and roll. Utah was getting KILLED last game of the regular season with them. Luc scored almost 10 points alone in the 4th. Maybe more.

saleem and Stormy1234 like this.
  10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Would it be radical to suggest starting Ryno tonight? I mean dude is shooting 42% on the road from the arc. His best shooting comes with 1 day or rest. Not 2 or 0 and the building is no where near what TC is as far as coloring goes. It's a gamble. But if he comes in and pops a couple of long threes. That is what he was giving us. 25-27 foot threes. We don't have anyone else with that kind of gravity. Roll the dice for a few and see what happens. Maybe we get him with some confidence back and open up some space while at it.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CP3 is not Harden. He doesn't have Harden's offensive game. So a big part of CP3 is setting the table for other players. So, if Gordon, Nene, Anderson, Moute aren't hitting shots the +/- is not going to be great.

That said, a pet peeve of mine with CP3....

There are many times early in shot clock. 24-18, 18-12 where CP3 runs a PNR, the defender trails and CP has a wide open jumper 3. And doesn’t take it (looking for a better shot from past experience). But in this offense, take the shot! Old habits die hard.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I know you are on twitter. There has to be a number of basketball experts on twitter that you respect their opinions. At least one person? I would love to know if there is a single person that would agree with your assessment on Qi as it relates to being a solution for the Rockets in these playoffs.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's a great stat. Good grief.

Gordon, Tucker, Ariza and Moute need to respond in kind.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets getting Malloy "on the road" is a BAD sign. He is one of the worst officials at "being swayed by the crowd." You can bet any 50/50 out of bounds calls or charge/block calls are going Utah's way tonite.

15. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

I don’t see how we pull one out in Utah.

Think it’s a loss 121-106

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Rockets won Game 1 but Utah outplayed us in the 2nd half. Even though they lost because they were just too far behind, that momentum helped them going into Game 2.

In Game 2, the opposite happened. Utah won the game but the Rockets outplayed them in the 2nd half, just ran out of gas and couldn't make open threes. The momentum is on our side now. We will win Game 3 and then all the pressure is on Utah in Game 4.

DonKnock likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

one of houston's doubters right on cue. didn't take enough L's last series eh

DonKnock, Reeko and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Go Houston Rockets! Memo to MDA don't give excessive minutes to EG if he is not shooting well. Mix things up with Green. Attack the basket, even if fouls don't go your way. The shooting percentage will only go up this way and by moving the ball. But defense first/ rebounding is a must from start to finish.

19. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Why not come out of the gates exclusively running CP pick and rolls. Establish him as a scoring and passing threat early. Utah isn’t preparing for that knowing Harden is everything.

Once they get down a bit and confused, go back to our normal Harden ish. We need to give teams different looks. If we neutralize one of our two threats, we are doing them a favor

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

HP, I enjoyed this post. But if the adjustment is something the Rockets are already familiar with, why did it take so long for the coaches to implement it or for the players to recognize it. That aspect is kind of frustrating.

Nook and heypartner like this.