1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 5/4/2018 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 3, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Paul isn't shooting his mid-range over Capela. Capela shields the picker (to keep him on Paul's ass), not the dropping big. Paul shoots straight over the dropping big.

I just made a quick vid below of Paul's midranges vs a dropping Gobert, in just the first 6 minutes of Game 2. I could show many, many more

This is Paul's snake dribble whereby Capela shields the picker (NOT Gobert), then Paul goes under Capela, and Capela crosses to other side of Gobert, just like I said. Or Paul just shoots an immediate Mid-Range at the Elbow coming around the pick ala Westbrook, Rubio, etc.

Another play is we won't even use Capela as the picker, and just plant him at the rim/baseline prior to the PnR.

Mazulis, Vivi, DonKnock and 1 other person like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great video. And helps illustrate my CP3 pet peeve. Early in the shot clock, he goes around a pick and the defender trailing.....why not stop and pop the 3?

He is so trained to "look for better shots" e.g. the Capela layups, but IN OUR OFFENSE considering CP3 is a good 3pt shooter, why not shoot that shot? No one is in front of him to obstruct it. And he is right on the line to make it as close as possible.

If the team wants MORE VOLUME of 3pt shots, that's one of the better looks they will get with one of the better 3pt shooters on the team.

What am I missing here?

Jake Tower likes this.
  3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

That’s his opinion, it might be negative but it’s not outside possibilities...

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

who cares. someone whose been wrong all year has no business posting. wth is he even here for

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sophisticated help defense that we played is a legitimate alternative (if not better all-around) than sticking to the shooters and dropping the big. It worked for 5 games very well. Further, both GSW and Pops don't play 90-100% dropping big defense like Utah (and other teams). Pops will definitely mix it up vs Harden -- dropping big, ICE, trap, aggressive help defense, soft-showing help d.

I'm not advocating drastically changing to a Utah defense against Donovan, I'm just pointing out that we as a team have seen it all, so presumably we can show any of these defenses against Utah slipping screens with their bigs...since we surely run that defense in practice so Harden and Paul get practice against ICE and dropping bigs.

I mainly posted because I am just surprised at all the talk of Utah slipping their picks, and no one suggesting we give Utah a taste of their own medicine.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent take. Chris needs to get his head on straight and the coaching staff needs to take care of that. Sometimes he seemed uncertain about what to do. That's crazy. He's too good not to step up. I'm hoping we'll see adjustments for game 3 that will straighten him out, not to mention everyone else. I think we'll win tonight and take back home court. I really do. If we don't, I'll be shell shocked, like the team was for so much of game 2. Time to turn the tables and steal the music from the Jazz.

ThatGuyJoe and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I finally got the postseason jittery nerves. For me, this is when the real playoffs start. Go Rockets!

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yesh it's odd to see CP3 still somehow struggling with the offense, not knowing what to do, making it hard on himself, not really using the screen by Capela at times or not in the right way, shooting tough mid-range shots over big guys, not going for lay-ups or threes when he's open. I'm all for mid-range, but not when it's highly contested obviously. CP3 is also struggling it seems with no cutters or off the ball plays being run. That's on coach too as I said before.

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

930!?!? now I can't go to bed early or go out and party

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Can't you go out and watch the game at a bar or restaurant?

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

no b/c that was brothers/foster/adams and this is only davis/malloy

davis is just an irascible b**** who can turn on any team at any moment and malloy is a vegetable in a coma out there, while brothers/foster/adams actually hate some of our players

adw and DonKnock like this.
  13. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Demolish them

Vivi, heypartner, ThatGuyJoe and 3 others like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Harden already ended this Kangaroo loving SOB once

Vivi, Drogba, Reeko and 6 others like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol james about to shove this scrub back into the inferno where he belong

17. HP3

HP3 Member

I will say this, on some of these plays its REALLY REALLY hard(hes a pro I know but still) to pull up on a three point shot going to your right as a right handed player. For people who are right handed its much easier shooting a pull up going to you're left because you are more aligned to the basket. However, when Capella does screen left for him I do think he should prolly pull up for the 3.

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon gotta show up at some point in these playoffs.

19. MystikArkitect

That’s unrealistically high. If they all shot their season averages this series would end quickly.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ryno is a lost cause...Gordon better get it together quickly tho