1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 4/28/2007 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 4)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

mcgruff the crime dog :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Billy can guard Deron... better than Rafer & luther behind...

3. jinyaomac

jinyaomac Member

Nobody in Rockets can shoot straight...

Can we bring BONZI back to the bench???

4. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Member

No one thought it would be a cakewalk. I think the problem is when your supposed top 5 player looks like a dead man walking.

5. rocketsmetalspd

He should at least be given the first chance to backup Rafer instead of Lucas.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Man, I love Yao but I can't see any other great center getting contained by the likes of Okur. He needs to learn how to deal with folks being physical because playoff basketball is different.

T-Mac....man I don't know what to say. I'm trying to be supportive but he has been acting very Dirk-like for the past two games. Monday night is definately the biggest game of his career. If we lose this series I can't see him living it down. Yao still has time.......

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I have been praying for 4 seasons already.

8. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Battier should have taken DW out. :mad:

[​IMG]

9. rocketsmetalspd

Monday will be the day when will see if the Rockets can put a good game together and the fans have been put on notice by the Jazz fans to bring their A game to game 5.

10. ClutchCityReturns

No, but why the hell we don't try Spanoulis or Snyder, I have no idea.

To clarify, I'm talking about guarding the point, but not running it on offense. I wouldn't want Spanoulis handling the ball that much, and I think the same goes for Snyder without even saying it.

11. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Member

As long as the Jazz play "tough, physical defense" -- read: dirty cheap fouls -- I think Mutombo should get more minutes. Some elbow lovin' might help clear the lane a little.

Sorry; I'm just feeling very hostile right now.

12. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

And stop driving to the basket and passing out when we're not hitting our 3s! :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. daoshi

daoshi Member

So, we have a BEST of THREE (typo FIVE) series with Home Court. It's not like the sky is falling.

I know it's ugly out there, but there is always the Warriors to provide us the excitement. ;)

#1273 daoshi, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  14. blender

blender Member

Thank god we have home court.

9 points and 7 rebounds from Hayes and Howard combined. Ouch.

15. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

where can you see the videos?

I can't find a link

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

Man, I don't want to be a pessimist but the Rockets haven't shown me in any of the 4 games so far, that they are capable of winning the series. All of the Rockets' weaknesses have been exposed with a microscope. The ONLY way the Rockets win ANY game from here on out is if T-Mac and Yao have monster, near perfect games. And I don't know how that will happen with the supporting cast playing like crap.

17. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I tell you the turning point of the game. It was bad but at that point in time the shot would have given some hope to the team.

It's that Yao offensive rebound that ended with a monster dunk. Oh wait he went for the fingerroll from 2 inches instead, missed the rim by 1 inch and did not get the rebound. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the end of the Rockets playoff series. I turned off and watch NFL draft results after that.

Why am I blaming our high score franchise center? Why is a big fan of Yao making fun of his hero? It's because it's a half-a## way of finishing a great play. Any front court player who gets a rebound 1 inch from the rim and right in front would use a 2 hand flush to get the job done. It's what Shaq would absoultely do (in fact, the defense would just stand there knowing this as the fact). It's what all NBA level front court players would do. Even Deke at 50 years old would do it. Yao, with all his "touch" and skill is just soft. There is no touch involve in that 2 hand flush. It MUST be done in that situation. There is no excuse for that play. I have lost confidense in Yao. He will not be a dominate player. Boy was I wrong. I feel sorry for Team China because if Yao is going to lead them, they will not medal. Book it.

I think JVG should shock the world and start, yes start VSpan. If Alston is playing like he is, it's not going to hurt anyways.

It's not like the Rockets are going to win the series anyways. Game 5 is in Houston so it's possible, possible to for them to win. This will setup a 7th game (we all know the Rockets is guarantee to lose in Utah). So, games 7. Will Yao and T-Mac step up? At this point, I just don't see it. I mean the most simple play, (offensive rebound - point blank - 2 hand dunk) is not possible with the best center in the league. It's over.

18. Rockets64

Rockets64 Member

Another loss, but different reasons...

Defense is what killed us today. The D was great in Game 3, but not today. Some random thoughts on the game...

- Terrible 2nd and 3rd quarter defense. We gave up 64 points combined in those 2. We actually scored in the 2nd, so we were in the game. We only scored 17 in the 3rd, so the lead expanded.

- We fouled WAY too much. They shot 13 more FT than we did. STOP HACKING and play some disciplined D! T-Mac and Yao both with 5 fouls. If our superstars are going to foul like that, we're going nowhere. T-Mac needs to play much better D on Harpring.

- The defense on Deron Williams was the worst it's been all year. We allowed penetration. Pick 'n roll D was atrocious.

- This is the first time that Deron and Okur shot the ball well. That is a huge concern if they get hot. We sort of contained Boozer, but let the others get involved. The Fisher injury was the WORST thing that could've happened for us. That means more shots and more time for Harpring and Giricek.

- We did do a better job of taking care of the ball. 15 turnovers is still not good, but some of those occurred when the game had been decided. T-Mac, Yao, and Alston combined for 9 TO's (Yao with 5). Not that good, but doesn't compare to Game 3.

- The big concern on offense today was how in the hell do T-Mac and Yao COMBINE for 10 free-throws!? It shows a lack of aggression and/or unfavorable calls.

- Bench was slightly better. The bench numbers were inflated because the scrubs got to play. Hey, 10 players scored this time!

- It was good to see Rafer and Battier play better offensively. Rafer was hot at the beginning and cooled off. Battier was 4-8. Maybe he should take more shots if the Jazz are giving him room. They're focusing so much on T-Mac, that a guy like Battier should be able to take advantage of that more often.

- We actually out-rebounded them. We're supposed to though, seeing that we're #1 in that category. Both teams got 11 offensive rebounds, but I bet they converted way more than we did.

- There were also a number of unlucky plays. We would get a deflection on the ball, but it would go straight to a Jazz player who gets the easy layup/dunk. I like the hustle though. We'll get the breaks at home.

- Luther hit a three! Meaningless in the game, but hopefully it increased his confidence for Game 5.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The Rockets offense is horrible right now because their spacing is really really bad. While some of this is because of the Jazz's defense, its because they are not where they need to be. Also shooters are not taking shots in rhythm either passing up open shots or checking their feet instead of just shooting the ball on the pass.

Also, the last two games, Battier has driven to the basket a time or two. He & Rafer need to do that more and actually GO to the basket instead of passing the ball out. They are not really going to the basket, even when they pump fake to go to the basket, Utah knows they will just pass back out or shoot a shot from 8 to 10 feet out over Okur or Boozer. Utah will take either of those.

Howard not hitting that jumper kills us, and Hayes is not really moving enough without the ball, no one on the Rockets is. When they move, it is due to some strict play that they generally always run. I.E. in the regular season, you were able to see at least one Alston to McGrady alley-oop or backdoor cut every game. I dont think there has been one in 4 games.

Lastly, Is it just me, but has Sloan managed to get the Rockets out of an offensive rhythym more than Van Gundy has gotten the Jazz out of theirs. The Jazz get so many easy lay ups and open shots off screens because of the plays they always runs. I would have thought we would have stopped that by the fifth straight time playing the team.

20. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Member

Fixed.

Unless, of course, you were making a King Arthur/"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" reference. ;)

Arthur: "One... two... FIVE!"
    Galahad: "Three, sir!"
    Arthur: "THREE!"