1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 2/23/2016

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 21, 2016.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

The good news, I've invented the gummi beard.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That is a byproduct of crap coaching.....no one has their roles defined - everyone gets to just do what they want apparently.

DD

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually coaching can't really do anything if the actual players don't get better themselves first

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

It's a product of our system and lack of accountability. Last year was just a lot of things coming together: Brewer in a contract year and contributing, Josh clicking with our guys, Harden on point, Howard in good shape once he wasn't injured, guys stepping up, Capela who wasn't figured out yet, Jet still valuable, Prigioni and others showing toughness and hard work, J.B. changing defensive scheme etc.

This year, from the start it was bad and we continued pretty much on the same road even with the firing of McHale. Next year is when we will have to see who's really as bad as they are playing this year. With TJ & Brewer, we pretty much knew they were who are they showing to be. Both have been inconsistent players since forever. Ty's dropoff is due to alcohol and personally related issues I reckon.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

what an absolute waste of a year when nobody on this team actually put in the work to get better. so disappointing

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

A healthy Utah team is pretty solid. I was pleasantly surprised that we weren't blown out on the road and could've easily stolen it.

With Utah being healthy and Portland being on fire, this elevated Rockets play may still not be enough to make the playoffs though.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yes, you'd think that 57 games in, they'd understand that this is simply not working but...

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I somewhat agree but then exactly what did you (and others) expect JB to do? He inherits an under performing .500 team 11 games into the season - a team that had tuned out the former head coach AFTER said coach had just led it to the WCF the previous year. Now just what miracle did you and others here expect JB to magically pull out of his behind that will infuse this team with enough drive and desire to elevate it into one of the top teams in the West? That's a tall order especially for a guy getting his first shot at head coach.

Watching the Rockets is like Groundhog Day - they continue to make the same dumbass mistakes over and over and over. It's mind numbing. Either the coaches all became monumentally stupid this season or the problem actually lies with the cast of players assembled by Morey aka dork Elvis. To continue to rail against the coaches is to continue to live in denial about this team's true issues.

9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Yeah it can... Coaches create the *environment for improvement and a system to improve within. We don't seem to have that now. Heck it's now a lot worse than it was under McHale. The other issue is the coach isn't recognizing who is playing well and who is having a bad day. Criticize him all you want but Rick Adelman was the master of maximizing players minutes who were having a good/great day and so was Rudy T.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I disagree with this post. A turnaround was not a miracle after a 4 7 start. However what was stupid was to replace McHale with his protege who learned everything he knows from McHale. So Ofcourse nothing changed we have the same coaching staff. We clearly have strategy issues. Look no further than the fact that even after horrible play Jb started brewer and even after more terrible play he still gets significant minutes off the bench. The Rockets run the same things over and over no matter if they work or not or no matter if the other has adjusted. So it's both strategy and personnel. When I say blow it up I talking about coaches and role players not harden and Howard. However I could understand them trying to trade Howard given the situation.

11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I used to enjoy coming to CF. Over the summer it was F5 city with anticipation. Now we are all here just wondering what chair on the titanic to sit on before this seasons ass end is bobbing up out of the water on its way down.

Is there anything positive about this season? ANYTHING at all that gives us hope that maybe next year we will have a reason to watch and be engaged?

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Positives:

- We still have 2 more years of Harden who, despite his reputation around here, is still one of the best players in the NBA.

- We will have two max salary slots this offseason. I don't expect any stars to come, but the possibility is open.

- We almost undoubtedly will be getting a new coach.

- We could potentially have a lottery pick this offseason.

That's all I got. It's not a good situation, but there's a few possibilities to turn it around.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

NBA Official 2 min report came back; 6 missed calls all in favor of Houston, none for Utah

14. OpenLayup-Why3?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well, there is always the bench.

DD

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah so what do you do when you have to bench the entire roster because that's how many players got better

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Unfortunately it's a terrible strategy for the Rockets because they have 1 and a half good defenders. Harden isn't the only issue anymore.