1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 1/28/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

100% certain j*zz fans are going to make CF accounts today to start trolling.

2. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Jeremy needs to have at least 2 steals this game and every game. I can't explain it but I absolutely love his steals. ;)

3. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Lin is such a thief!:grin:

4. cw3k

cw3k Member

Not according to the criminals at NJ. Kids under 5 going to day care or public school are require to take flu shoot.

5. Arthurprescott2

If you accept that premise that more TOs = more ball handling/decision-making, then the team wins more when Lin is handling the ball (and thus burdening himself w/ TOs).

OTOH, when decision-making/ball handling is done by committee (Harden/Parsons/etc.), the team wins less often.

Using TOs to support an argument for more ball-handling by Lin. Which is similar to yours and others points railing against too much ball-handling by Parsons/Delfino - an argument that is growing on me.

I do think Parsons/Delfino handling the ball is an important "release valve" for this team, especially when the opposing team focuses on shutting down Lin/Harden; but I agree with the general point that Parsons/Delfino shouldn't be burdened with too much ball-handling responsibility and instead should act more as release valves or escape hatches - only to be used sparingly and not relied upon as mainstays of our offense.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Ah thanks for the explanation. Yeah I tend to agree.

7. cw3k

cw3k Member

They play different roles. A PG's role is to find the highest probability shot. He does not to finish it, unless finishing it has the highest probability. Because of this priority, PG usually has the most TO. If ball handling is transfer to anther position, then the PG has other option except stand behind the 3p line. When that happens, you have a 4 vs 5 situation, which meant you are less likely to win.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unless said point guard can hit a spot up jumper or play off ball like such point guards as Kidd and Stockton. The point guard shouldn't become useless one the ball is out of its hands.

Positions aren't always theoretically pure. The athletes should be great basketball players regardless of position.

9. Arthurprescott2

Agree w/ JeffB - both Harden and Lin are combo guards. Lin should be able to play off the ball.

10. gate470

gate470 Rookie

I think we're all aware of that. But we need to be reminded over and over that our PG can't hit a spot up jumper. It's probably not going to improve much this year either.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't know about everyone here, but I have a hard time hating the Utah Jazz now. No more Sloan, no more Malone, Stockton and no more Deron Williams, Boozer or even Kirilenko. Heck, even owner Larry H. Miller passed away. All the annoying guys on that team are gone. The ones they got left-- Millsap, Jefferson, Hayward, Kanter, Favors, etc.-- are all guys I wouldn't mind on the Rockets at all. There really isn't anyone left on the Jazz (or the Rockets) from when the two teams matched up in the playoffs and there was arguably a "rivalry."

12. JeffB

Supporting Member

Yeah. And that is a tough condition for a point guard with a scorer's mentality. He'll improve, though.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agree with this. He just needs to be a reliable enough shooter. I think this off season he focused primarily on his on ball skills (makes sense) because he never anticipated the Harden trade. Now that he knows that he will be sharing the ball with harden it would make sense for him to focus a lot more on off ball stuff. I will give him until next season before I get really angry about it.

14. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Rockets 100 : AZZ 99

1 second left, Rocket 97 : Jazz 99, TD nailed a 3 pointer.:grin:

15. cw3k

cw3k Member

Yes, they are combo guard, but as you have seen, Lin has been shooting like crap so far. This is something he needs to work on, but don't expect he can improve it overnight. So for now, the coach needs to play off his strength. Putting him in the corner will not do any good for the team.

I also think much of the crap shooting is due to low confident. By playing his strength will build his confident, which should improve his shooting.

16. JeffB

Supporting Member

He's also coming off a knee injury. Added to learning his role on the team, that may be affecting him some.

17. gate470

gate470 Rookie

He'll be traded by February next season and the anti-Lin folk from the joke tread will rejoice. I kid...

Yeah, agree.

18. Jedster

Jedster Member

Hayward is on my fantasy pool team and on my NBA 2k13 team as well. Can't hate the guy...lol.

19. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

30 more minutes to go... hopefully everyone will have a good game tonight like in the past two games.

20. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

I hope DMO plays tonight. He didn't look bad, besides his lack of boxing out, the last time he got heavy minutes. And please, no 3s. A guy that tall shooting 3 pointers is a waste of height.