1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Hornets 1/26/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2024.

1. plegus

plegus Member

I think we should stop being surprised, he is so consistent that I’ll almost call it disrespect :D

Chasing_Chase likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wow use an open court player in the OPEN COURT what a concept!! Get a rhythm scorer going by getting him lanes and knocking down easy shots what a concept! Transition basketball?? What is that?

Mediocre ass fans still find reasons to be upset.

gfab-babyboi and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. Melik

Melik Member

Are you saying Sengun played badly?

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

You could also apply the same kind of logic to the other side of the argument.

When he plays well: "We can't trade him, look how great he's going to be when he puts it all together!"
    When he plays poorly: "It's just growing pains, we shouldn't sell low!"

I don't think it's actually hypocritical by either side. There is an implicit judgment call here--those who still believe Jalen will become a good player who consistently produces positive value for the team of course want to keep him.

Those who think he's going to be a failure want him off the team as soon as possible, whether he's just had a good game or not, because they believe his value will ultimately decline over time.

jim1961 and Easy like this.
  5. j@amc

j@amc Member

Beyond the numbers, the Hornets didn't care. Their coach, Steve Clifford, after the game: “It was the refs' fault; it was my teammate's fault,” Clifford said. “We've got to have the right attitude.” They fell behind and started chucking shots.

Charlotte's effort last night looked eerily familiar. Any Rockets fan from the last two years could see all the bad basketball, tanking symptoms: chasing points, hoping to get hot from three, and playing with no communication on D. The Hornets turned a 6-point deficit into 20 in a heartbeat. And then it got worse. Even the Rockets can finish a break if you complain about the refs and take 5 to 7 bad shots in a row.

It's nice to see some smiles and confidence from Jalen. My guess is that Brooklyn will put out a more professional effort.

6. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

I also NOTICE they were very mad. Coach Clifford yellin' "let's see some ****ing consistency" to the refs when superstar Jalen got the superstar calls and superstar LaMelo didn't.

Not to mention LaMelo being upset and calling Cam a "b**** ass N-word."

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Defensively, Yes!

#787 hlmbasketball, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  8. Melik

Melik Member

offensively ?

9. j@amc

j@amc Member

After the last game against Portland, I was hard on Jalen for playing 38 minutes and not contributing at all on the glass. It seems like the coaches were able to reach him about being more invested.

The advanced stats on the Charlotte game show him that he had thirteen rebound chances and came up with 10 boards.

While I'd like to see him make more perimeter shots and space the floor, Jalen has to be on the glass. Now, if he could go a whole game without getting beat for a dunk on a backdoor play.

Last thought on the terrible situation in Charlotte: the Hornets only managed to contest 25 shots for the entire game. That means they only got a hand up 28% of the time when the Rockets took a shot. And of the shots that they defended, the Rocket converted 68% of those (17–25). They also put us on the line 31 times. Bad defense can do wonders for anyone's confidence.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry for the miscommunication but your translations throw me off.

Sengun played poor defensively, not offensively. The things I look at, you probably don't. We're different.

I look at are we stopping the opposing team on the other end, in addition to scoring. If they are scoring, how are they scoring. And if you look at how Charlotte was staying in the game, a team you called poor, they were scoring around the basket, driving into the lane. That game should have been over at the half.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Right. It's ultimately a judgment call.

To me, it all depends on what kind of value he has in the trade market. If trading him now doesn't get you something that can move the needle long term, then why bother? Might as well bet on him getting better. For those who are dead set about him being a bust with no chance of growing into at least a decent player, they believe that getting pennies now is better than nothing.

jim1961 and OremLK like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Since he added the stop and pop to his game, his offensive aggression and efficiency is getting better. He now needs to give up the step back threes and only take threes within the flow of the offense.

Tonight’s game against an inferior opponent shows why the Rockets are reluctant to give up on him. The Rockets need playmaking from their sg position and currently Jalen’s potential at that skill set is why the Rockets continue to gamble on his upside. I still think getting a vet SG to start along side FVV and letting Amen, Jalen, and Cam build synergy together off the bench is the way to go. FVV has helped changed the culture, but if he is starting after next year the rebuild has gone off the tracks

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes, I think it's probably only sensible to trade him if you're getting another young player back that you feel better about moving forward. I would seek deals like that but they're usually pretty hard to get done because all GMs are protective of their young players with upside. For example, if we could somehow pry J-Dub from OKC (perhaps in a three-team deal with Jalen & picks going elsewhere). But I don't really expect a trade like that to happen.

Would probably at least make sense to just acquire a young bench shooting guard, even if he's not a guy with a ton of upside, like a Quentin Grimes or Ayo Dosunmu, without giving up Green or other major assets in the trade. Just to give Jalen some competition and get better overall play from the position.

Easy likes this.
  14. Ancient Moabite

You have been saying(doing) the same thing about him for those same years(I Am guessing)

So wouldn't that make you insane for thinking he is going to suck perpetual and it will never happen, and the more optimistic/pro side think it will happen?

The battle of insanity = Anti vs. Pro Group

May the most insane side prevail, TBD

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

16. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

These guys look worse than we did during Silas era

LMAOOOOOO look at em