1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Heat 2/10/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 10, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Silas told them not to switch WTF is Nix doing at the beginning of the play.

I mean Jesus f**ing christ.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

How can you watch that play and conclude Nix didn't mess up. He doubled Bam for no reason, letting Strus get to the 3pt line without any player close to him. He caused tate to be in the situation where he had to guard 2 man. Tate had to choose between staying on Buttler and letting Struss get a wide open 3 point shot. This wat totally on Nix. Could other players have made different choices? Sure, but the breakdown started by Nix, and he did nothing to help in this play.

This again has been a great coached game by Silas. Just a couple of notes
    1: Not letting Sengun post up, especially when Bam is in foul trouble (I Noticed in the previous game Sengun had his first post up at the 6 minute mark in the 3rd quarter, after we posted up Smith and Tate).

2: At the end of the game using KMJ to set the screen and use Sengun as the lob threat or the corner 3. Sengun is useless in that situation, if you want to use him for the lob threat or the 3pt shot just sub him out. Furthermore KMJ is not a player that you can give the ball to after a pick and roll and there is pressure on the ball handler. He cannot create for others. you know who is suited for that role. Sengun.......

3: Having Green and Nix for defensive possessions at the end. I like that he takes Sengun out, but why keep Green on there? And why not have any tall guy on the floor. Put Boban under the basket, or if you want a tall player defending the inbounder, put Boba there. Why waste Baris defensive skills on standing in front of the inbounder...

4: Why would anyone think that just letting Green go one on one is a good offense. I really see potential in Green. But he is not a player that can just isolate and break the defense down.

joshuaao, don grahamleone, DJ and 4 others like this.
  3. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“They are a smart team,” Tate said. “We were in scramble mode. They like to yell out our calls. I saw we were in scramble mode, it was loud, and all I heard was 'switch, switch, switch.’ So, I jumped out thinking we had help in back.

“They do that a lot. You see one of their best shooters (Strus) coming off wide open … I should have stayed home. I should have known better, especially with the time on the clock.”

Amazing y’all don’t listen or read post game comments from players be on here just talking crazy

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. arno_ed

An why was Struss wide open at the 3pt line? Tate was put in a lose lose situation. If he stayed home on Butler Struss would have gotten the game winner. It shows Character that this is what Tate said after the game. He didn't throw his teammates under the Buss (are you seeing this Silas...). But it is clear to anyone that saw the game that nix messed up and everything that happened after that was a result of what Nix did.

And I mean everybody makes mistakes, it happens. But it is clear that Nix was at fault here.

joshuaao, TheRealist137 and noppeper like this.
  5. a time to chill

6. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

When Heat center Bam Adebayo cut on the baseline and toward the near corner, Rockets guard Daishen Nix switched for a moment and then returned toward his man, Max Strus, as he rushed toward the 3-point line.
    Jimmy Butler moved toward Strus as if to set a screen, but with Nix well off Strus, he never did.

As Strus rushed past, Rockets guard Jae’Sean Tate switched onto him, leaving Butler.

“Tate had to switch out,” Silas said. “They got the slip toward the rim. They didn’t even set a back pick. They just stood (Tyler) Herro right in the paint. If we would have stayed home like we said we were going to do, we would have been fine.”

Butler rolled past Jalen Green, who had stayed with his man, Herro, as directed. When Butler and the ball got to the rim, there was no Rockets player close enough to do more than watch.

“We should have just stayed home, stayed solid, stayed with our man,” Green said. “We got a little confused, messed up. It was a good play, but we could have easily prevented that from happening.”

7. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

its .007 left on clock - and Strus running away from 3pt line … Tate should of stuck with Butler…Nix would of been near Strus by time he caught the ball turned and heaved up a shot

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94, sirjesse and fryjol7 like this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

Coach IS coaching but not to our players strengths. He is just X&Oing on a tablet.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

No Tari Eason, no Garuba, but Nix was there.

Silas is a ****ing loser and idiot.

11. fattz

fattz Member

I like what I am hearing from the organization. It is the first time we are talking about improving what happened and learning from it. Accountability? Good job Silas on letting us see the potential growth.

12. arno_ed

So you agree that everything went wrong because Nix started to guard Bam (when KMJ was there). And saying he returned to his man after that. When was Nix ever within 6 feet of Strus? Never.

The play was lost when he switched to Bam for no reason. Everything that happened after that was players trying to make the best of a lost defensive possession. If you look at the play and truly so not see that nix was the main cause for the breakdown I cannot help you.

To be completly fair to Nix he should not have been on the floor anyway, so it is not only his fault.

13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Jimmy Butler took over in last 2 mins but Silas still allowed him to lob and dunk in last second without any defense! Even an idiot knows you have to watch closely Jimmy Butler!

What an incompetent coach we have.

14. fattz

fattz Member

My take way —> Nix shouldn’t be on a NBA court so missing defensive assignments is not that surprising. Coach chooses to play Nix —> it’s on Silas.

PeterKingX and Little Bit like this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It was clearly a boneheaded play by Nix but….no but - you are right that Silas trusted Nix for no good reason. I would honestly feel better if TyTy had made that mistake because at least he will still be in the league in a few years to be able to take advantage of learning from that mistake. Nix doesn’t need to learn a damn thing because he is going to be out of the NBA this time next year.

don grahamleone and fattz like this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

No Garuba just to stay at the basket at the end?!!! Massive fail by the coaching staff. I don't care about switching and all that, if they win on a 3, so be it. You don't let someone just get a dunk. But good for the tank. Our offense was terrible anyway. KJ should've been in the corner to make a cut to at least be in play for a lob with any other player in the pick-and-roll with Green. Didn't like Green on the ball anyway, massive chucker and not a playmaker.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS IS WHY TANKING NEVER WORKS

theres simply no substitute for brain!

glimmertwins and Ankara1923 like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

BUT HOW?! butler cant shoot 3 pointers?
    dumbalytics told me this shouldn't be happening

jalen green should dominate because he is a 3 pt shooter and a tough shots maker!

Ankara1923 likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and people told me getting high picks will solve all problems...so the hype was wrong!?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Its on stone now...we saw in the first year silas is terrible

fattz and Ankara1923 like this.