1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 2/14/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2024.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yeah I didn't want to give up our Brooklyn picks for a minor upgrade but I was really hoping for something like Tate for D. Gafford or something.
    Iirc he had like 16, 17 and 5bs in his last game for Dallas.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I am being unfair, but Aaron Holiday is literally my least favorite Rockets to watch since Christian Wood. He gives the illusion of being a good defender because he plays hard and gets into a good defensive stance, but people literally get by him easier than almost everyone on the team besides Jaesean. He has a good shot, but refuses to be used as a Pat Bev style catch-and-shoot player who sometimes brings the ball up--instead he always messes up the rhythm of the game by dribbling a little too much, or telegraphing passes. He is terrible at passing ahead on fast breaks, too.

Another reason I was so mad at Jalen today was because I knew as soon as Holiday had a decent shooting night that Ime would definitely sit Jalen in favor of him, and we'd have to watch Holiday run the team because for some reason even though we have Amen and Alpi on the floor, he needs to be the floor general every time. For all people say that Jalen is not a winning player...NEITHER IS AARON HOLIDAY!

Can't wait for Cam to get back. Again, I know I am being unfair, but the aesthetics of Holiday's game just rub me the wrong way.

HardenReturns, ramotadab and Antares like this.
  3. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Yep...I was one of them...still am. I was watching Auburn vs. S.Carolina this evening. Bari had a horrible night shooting. But, I've been noticing something....He DOESN'T get the ball....for several games, including tonight....I watched peop[le going 1 on 3 with him standing WIDE OPEN begging for the ball...happen's a lot. REALLY. This is my team but it's a look at me ball hogging, don't share the ball team.

Especially since FVV is out and he ain't exactly any greta shake himself.Assists tonight ? GMAB...Jalen 2, Amen 3, Holiday 1, Alpy 6..etc. The ball is not going out to Bari...even when he's hot as a firecracker...not happening. Most of his shots are happening INSIDE. He's in a funk with not getting the ball...he's a rhythm shooter...I have seen tonight and other games his disappointment with not getting the ball. We are actually playing 4 on 5 leaving him out of the offense. One thing though ...10 rebounds again....he is a consistent rebounder game in and game out. If this is going to be his involvement in the offense, I do wish he'd get traded despite my love for the Rockets.

Brook was 5/17 tonight 2/10 from 3. Alpy with a decent night but has fallen off as well...especially rebounding. There is plenty of others that are underperforming.

If you went and looked at players in their second year, you would see a pattern (yes among most stars as well) that they don't just take off in the NBA the first year or so in the league. There is a growth pattern, trust me. Here's the CF take on Bari...keep getting those double digit rebounds (no big deal) we want you to be a big time scorer but, no, hell no we aren't giving you more than 8-12 shots a game as a rule. You hit 60-70% you can still be what we expect of you. You just stay stationed on the side 3 pt. line...we aren't giving you the ball anyway. Go in and get rebounds and you can do a put back or an elbow jumper. Your defender don't even have to defend you but just sinks inside knowing you aren't getting the ball. How many side 3's has Bari taken...yeah, think about it. That's what I see.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You wouldn't. That's the problem, as well as even starting him over and over.

3 PT Shooting past 7 games

Holiday 46% (15 of 32)
    Brooks 44% (19 of 43)
    Jabari 27% (10 of 36)
    Jalen 15% (6 of 38)

5. AuburnRocket

Me too.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

didn’t even realize we had a game today…missed the whole thing

looks like Jalen and Jabari started ASB early…

ramotadab, WestendMassive and Roomba like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, Holiday is definitely a player that takes and gives.

He is better than Jeff, Landale, Bullock, all that dross. However, he should not have to be.

ramotadab and Roomba like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. MystikArkitect

There is no way Stone and Udoka are on the same page.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Looks like the tank is on.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rotations is not his strong suit.

12. Antares

Antares Member

IMHO, your problem is that you’re always trying to put some blame on the other team members to cover Jabari's bad night or weaknesses.

Once you stop doing that, I would personally take you more seriously when commenting about Jabari who you know better than most of us in general - I still believe.

Simply just focus on his performance when he is the focus of the criticism...

Little Bit likes this.
  13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I swear if this doesn't light a fire under Jalen's ass...he was playing with some urgency before the trade deadline, and two of the last four games he just hasn't seemed to want it anymore. Maybe he was already on break and who we saw tonight was his doppelganger who was informed last minute to stand in for him...

I expect big things from him post-ASB.

ramotadab and WestendMassive like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I highly suspect Stone does not have a page.....

He basically gets off on being the boss and being an important member of a ball club.

But yeah, starting Jalen Green sounds like his idea.

Crashlanded19 and HardenReturns like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His body is currently not built for the NBA.... Expect to see some highlight stat games and then sprinkled some very bad nights.

16. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

36% is the mark you want for taking 3 over a long 2

Rockets have a few players who would greatly improve the offense if they would pump fake the 3 and dribble in for the midrange 2 where they shoot 10-15% better …

2 is better than 0 …and we are putting up a lot of empty possessions because we don’t take midrange shots … teams just pack the paint and dare us to beat them from the outside and we make no adjustments

MoreyBall all over again

ramotadab and kubli9 like this.
  17. AuburnRocket

Yeah..tough game for them...Thanks goodness for Brooks 5/17( 29%), 2/10 (20%) on 3's. He, like Bari did get 10 rebounds though.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  18. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

When Fred comes back, swap out Jalen with Thompson, and have Whitmore as 6th man. Jalen can come off the bench behind Landale.

19. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Folks don’t understand rhythm players - we have a bunch of guys who been 1st options their whole career and now being asked to stand around and take a shot every 4-5 minutes unless they grab a offensive rebound

The offense sucks - the illusion to start the season when FVV spammed PNR with Alpi is now gone , been done once teams adjusted

ramotadab likes this.
  20. AuburnRocket

Respectfully taken...I thought I said first thing that Bari had a horrible night shooting. I would like for you to counter what I stated. Is he getting the ball, is he included in the offense, does he get 8-12 shots on average ? There is 5 of them out there playing....let's look at the team as a whole...are we playing 5 players with one heartbeat...oh, hell no. Stingy, won't share the ball. You know Bari can have a really BAD NIGHT AND HAVE COMPANY. And, he does. Did you see him exit the game...he knows he didn't perform well..he also knows that he is in no way an intregal part of the offense...and, may not be...and, is struggling with that. JMO. I respect you got yours as well.

Sonicbun8 and ramotadab like this.