1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 1/14/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 13, 2020.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I didn't even look at the stats. Eye test is really all you need. They are not coached. Not poorly coached. They are simply not coached. MDA doesn't do anything. He watches Harden ball hog and jack 3's and Iso, and watches the defense give up easy transition buckets and easy runs to either extend the lead or get back in the game. Sometimes it works if Harden is going God-mode, but much more often than not, it fails.

It's not hard to see. It's frustrating. It won't change. They simply have to move on to a coach who will instill a gameplay and discipline.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the Bucks and Lakers are good but they are not GSW good.

When GSW was dominating the league not only did they push aside bad teams...but they made fools of good teams as well...other than the Rockets. If you remember those years regular season games the Rockets-GSW matchups were close and it turned out the playoffs were too.

Lakers and Bucks are in the field too this year from what I've seen. I'm not seeing the Lakers dismantle the Clippers or other top teams or the Bucks either. They just are more focused and healthy and prepared for bad teams. I personally don't think they are that ahead of the west and east respectively.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

How do you know that? Yall dont see ANY of the inner workings and blame the coach. Its ridiculous, despite being told time and time again why we play the we play. If you do not have good defenders, you will not have good defense..sheesh.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Correct. Nobody is Durant-GSW-level good. It's fairly wide open. The Rockets of 2018 run through this field with relative ease. This team, though? With this defense? Not seeing it.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If Butler wanted a ring and we had him and CP3...I think we'd easily be the best team in the NBA right now. Shame he got lured to Miami for a 2nd round exit.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

how many people noticed

HP3 likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It may have been the money, or simply the fact that he wanted to be the star on a team, like when Harden left OKC. If it was just about a ring then just think what OKC could have been if Harden, Westbrook, and Durant had all stayed, just to dominate the league with more time together

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I'm guessing it was a bit of both. I feel like he missed out on the best chance he's going to have at a championship in a while.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Correct. Pains me how close we apparently were to that.

Elite offense and elite defenders at multiple spots. Man...

10. HP3

HP3 Member

No one notices because then they would have to admit that Dantoni actually has actions to run.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is amazing

Rocket River

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pretty much every trade we made since Tilman acquired the Rockets have been a mistake...i wonder if that's a coincidence...

hakeem94, treyk3, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and I wonder if there is a bias in the mind of the observer

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That was nice. And then after that he knocked down his first few 3s.

Sadly, once he started clanking 3s he did not take 1-2 easy midrange shots to get back in rhythm, and continued to restrict himself to tough 3s, thereby shooting an abysmal 4-19. Harden frustrates me when he does this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Of course not ;)

16. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

You are right. But would not you agree that issues with our Coach accountability towards his players are well documented?
    Would not you agree that both Ownership, Coaching and GM have been very vocal about how much they empower Harden to make decisions? And that us as a third party can theorize that maybe, it has been too much?

Don't you think that after many years of failing the same way, there is space to theorize that coaching could improve Harden's Energy levels/performance at the end of games?

Even geniuses need structure and a team and the coach and has failed to rise the level of everyone else. Harden as our best player and leader, also has to have some accountability around that

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Why, our offense hasn’t been the problem the last couple of years, it’s always been the defense. So I think the offense needs to be tweaked slightly, no doubt. But for the most part no, our offense is top 3 in the league. We lost because Harden was guarded well by Brooks and that’s the reason we lost, I’d like to see that dude do it again(bet you he
    Won’t).

Failing what way? Two out of the last there years we’ve failed either because of lack of talent or defense. Yea I think the offense does need to be tweaked but it’s hardly the main concern right now.

Maybe, it’s hard to say, Dantoni should bring more discipline to these guys sure. And maybe a new coach will do things better but honestly I think he’s done a pretty good job with what we’ve had.

fryjol7 and lionaire like this.
  18. Remlap

Remlap Member

You mean one who will run our MVP out of town?
    It's a delicate situation to tell your SUPERSTAR to relent to others in crunch time.
    Unfortunately, it's James' team (hence the CP/WB trade).

My take is that if James was willing to pass, he would.
    I get frustrated watching him trying to play hero-ball as well, but it IS what it IS.

Again, it's like the old joke:
    Q: Where does an 800lb gorilla sleep?
    A: ANYWHERE he wants to!

So, since you say MDA does no coaching, YOU seem to have answers instead.
    In this situation do you:
    A) Bench James
    B) Tell him to stop taking shots and let someone else take over

Tell us how you would handle it?

19. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Was simply saying it is sad he plays for a turd team. Talent being squandered!

BaselineFade likes this.