1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Celtics 1/11/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 10, 2013.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Objectively I didn't see significantly more defensive pressure from TD than from Lin.

And yes, the team went on a run, but the question as always is how much is attributed to TD. There is a difference between TD being the catalyst, and a coincidental member of that line up.

All I'm arguing is that I didn't see TD do enough (IE, assists, points, or great defensive plays like steals) that I would have messed around with the rotation. I would feel differently if Lin had a poor game, or TD was suddenly scoring, generating looks, and forcing turn overs.

I'm of the philosophy that unless a back up is playing superior ball, or the starter is playing poorly, you always go back to the starter. There's a reason they're the starter, and that's usually because they're the superior player.

That's not a preference for Lin per se, I would argue the same thing if Asik had a good game, or Morris was playing well.

And really, I think they over use Harden. They play an awful lot of games with him clocking 40 minutes, even when he's playing very poorly. Lots of minutes in the 4th is fine for Harden, but I think playing the entire 3rd quarter was too long.

Let's just say I'm not crazy about the staggering of minutes.

2. MT1417

MT1417 Member

Except for the haters, I don't think he will be crapped on too much if he has Harden's statline tonight.

My point is, it's not Lin or TD or Harden's fault for the loss tonight. It's a team loss.

3. Jedster

Jedster Member

Well I think all of us knows that Lin's mistakes are magnified at least 3x more than Harden's.
    For Harden to get the same type of criticism as Lin, he'll have to get 18 turnovers in a game. LOL

4. bc2k

bc2k Member

Asik is missing alot of free throws lately probably due to McHale sitting him whole 4th quarter during past few games. It's destroying his confidence. When he was okay from the line earlier on the season, he was playing mostly full game minutes.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

that I can agree on... The team is top on offense but that offense cannot be called upon every game only now and then and the D is usually bad

6. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

Actually coaching should have put Asik and Lin back in. Your argument is based on momentum. What happend was that Rondo had was on the bench at the end of the 3rd to the beginning of the 4th. That was when Houston made the big run. When Rondo came back in, and Pierce came back in, the tide started changing again for Boston. Houston should have matched Boston and put their starters back in, especially when Lin was playing pretty good D against Rondo.

7. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

He is not a consistent player nor a star. But he has also not been given an opportunity to be one. Games like today are an example why. If Harden had been sat everytime he starts off slow, he wouldn't be averaging what he averages. Harden takes that trust and makes the most of it and thus far showcasing his talent for all to see. Lin, on the other hand, is treated like hot doodoo and gets pulled for everything. And this is with the coaches trusting him more than they ever have the whole season!! Prior to San Antonio game, Lin could have the best game ever and he'd be pulled for no reason to start TD. TD, for crying out loud... Lin should've been brought back today after the start he had is all I'm saying. Ride the hot hand, and when it's been ridden too long, bring back the better player and playmaker who happens to be fresh to seal the deal.

Expectations are funny like that. YOu expect a role player and treat him as such, that's what you'll get. You treat someone like a star, you'll see him achieve what noone thought you could.

8. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO

9. Jedster

Jedster Member

Honestly, I think our bigs just don't know how to do it properly.

10. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Hopefully, Denver and Portland loses tonight....most of Eastern teams have been taking down the Western teams tonight so that's a plus. This game is pretty much identical to last game...Rockets had a small window to explode and take it over, but shots never came. Can't blame the coach for not playing Lin, he played enough minutes and if shots aren't falling it's probably a losing cause. Can't feel too bad....NO and Boston are on a nice winning streak. On to the next game.

11. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

This!!

12. Luca

Luca Member

Our defence is bad, our front court is not good. I'd love to have even KG at this stage. No screens set for Harden/Lin. Lin got screened constantly by KG for Rondo.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rondo can still hurt you because he distributes to other players.

14. Roboman

Roboman Member

Well its after a game like this, that you send Delfino back to Manu's house for some magical sausage. If we get lucky, he'll get over the bad stomach side effect and we pull an upset on the Clippers:eek:

15. Nook

Nook Member

No, Lin is not a star, hence Morey saying the Rockets need a second star. Second, Rondo is a vastly superior player than Lin.

Lin is a good role player... very solid NBA player, but not a star.

16. OpportunityCost

@ the bolded paragraph - great point. Also, I'm all for leaving in TD if he is sinking the three ball or playing good perimeter D, because I think those are his strengths - not playing the point. When he "runs" the point he usually tries to get the ball out of his hands as soon as possible b/c I feel he knows that isn't his strength also and he's scared of messing up and ultimately going back to the bench. That said, I think Lin sat too long on the bench during that stretch in the 2nd half.

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Over exaggeration.

18. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

BS.

With 1:34 left in the 3rd, Lin had the Rockets down 61-74.

TD enters for Lin.

With 7:22 left in the 4th, TD had the Rockets down 81-83.

20-9 run by the Rockets with TD at PG.

Best Rockets run of the entire game. Only down 2.

Score 81-83.

Celtics call timeout at 7:22 mark. Then....

Pierce makes a shot.
    Delfino misses a three.
    Greg Smith commits a foul.
    Rondo makes both free throws.
    Harden misses a free throw.
    Bass scores inside.
    Harden turns the ball over.
    Pierce makes a shot +1.

Rockets down 82-92 at 5:50 mark.

After doing nothing Lin did NOTHING to improve things in the 4th. Lin entered with 4:52 left and the Rockets down 82-92.

The offense with Lin sputters and the Rockets get outscored 9-11 the rest of the way. Final score: 91-103.

In the second half +/- at least, TD was a plus and Lin a minus.

The closest the Rockets got was within 2 points 81-83 and that run was with TD on the floor and Lin on the bench.

Besides, Lin played 36 minutes. He can't play 40 minutes a night or he breaks down and folds as we saw in New Orleans.

1 person likes this.
  19. New

That's a good point. :p

I am actually enjoying the game even though we lost...:)
    I really want to the Rockets developing their games so I am usually frustrated by how the defense and offense is run rather than whether we are losing or winning...

I feel very disgusted with the NBA's emphasis on individual star / superstar players.... They like to show the unexpected plays and tough shots... I really hate their BIG commercial... I am very biased and have an unrealistic expectation of the game...

20. Jedster

Jedster Member

It's all good as long as you remember this is just your own opinion.

But you should really watch the game tonight and see how the vastly superior Rondo outplayed Lin, who is vastly inferior.
    Oh, you didn't see any vastly superior domination? I didn't either.